Verified Expert in Engineering
Over the past decade, Avenash has worked on the entire software development lifecycle while building and managing apps from inception to client release. He’s led and supervised multiple engineering teams, but he considers himself a developer at heart. He’s experienced with back-end development (C++) and front end with React/Redux. Avenash often enjoys hacking away at a problem or testing out new ideas on the side whenever he has the time.
Git, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Windows
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on is building an enterprise-level portfolio-reporting batch web app that allows clients to administer report generation by the 100,000s.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer
- Developed data pipelines to process massive data (100+ TB/run) from suppliers' data that is often incorrect and fragmented to map rooms with 99.9% certainty by incorporating machine learning models and various matching algorithms.
- Worked closely with data scientists to train and integrate new machine learning models into current property mapping streamline targeting properties in the Chinese language.
- Debugged various memory, performance, and scalability issues in Spark Jobs.
Senior Machine Learning Engineer, Technical Lead
- Designed and implemented new pipelines for current Spark Jobs where each task can be executed independently thus increasing the stability of production processes by over 50%, and at the same time, requiring to no dev changes to current processes.
- Refactored Spark Job into a producer/consumer pattern which gave the ability to control how much resources each run should consume. It also allowed the execution of several instances in parallel, thus increasing the processing throughput by 25%.
- Architected and developed a web application with a workflow for the Operations team that converted the process of adjusting the filtering algorithm in the room mapping streamline Spark Job into a self-service process, saving 2-3 development hours per week.
- Collaborated with product owners to develop various hypotheses for displaying mapping data in the UI and implemented A/B experiments to verify hypotheses resulting in 100+ bookings increase per day.
- Optimized core ETL job that processes around 300 million records/day, reducing memory usage by 85%.
- Designed and developed a new C++ UI and framework to replace the client's legacy process to optimize the DeltaV workflows for automation, optimizing operational efficiency and providing a better user experience.
- Deployed software as a Windows application with Microsoft Installer to encapsulate all existing process dependencies, removing manual setup and configuration for end-users.
- Packaged the application into a Microsoft Installer that sets up all its dependencies, allowing end-users to immediately get going.
- Assessed various licensing models and implementation roadmaps leveraging different solution stack to develop final recommendations for the client.
Lead Software Engineer
- Initiated the project to create a unified web application, Portfolio Reporting Batcher, to replace four legacy batching apps, delivering a one-stop solution for clients' batching workflows.
- Designed a long running infrastructure to offload Portfolio Reporting Batcher's complex operations to background processes, significantly increasing the success rate of job runs by 40%.
- Designed a long-running infrastructure to offload portfolio reporting batcher complex operations to background processes, significantly increasing job runs' success rate by 40% (Node.js, Redis).
- Created a centralized Batch API to orchestrate and manage 50,000+ reports per job, reducing code redundancy by over 30%.
- Led the design and development of an automated conversion system to seamlessly migrate 10,000+ client documents and jobs onto the next-gen platform, saving product managers six months of manual work.
- Collaborated with project managers and other engineering groups to plan and prioritize projects for engineering teams.
Senior Software Engineer
- Built a prototype web application over one weekend and convinced senior management to invest in migrating the legacy Portfolio Publisher to a new web app.
- Redesigned legacy Portfolio Batcher infrastructure from running jobs in-process to running with distributed services, improving scalability and stability without disrupting clients’ production processes.
- Created a unified API to replace the different legacy frameworks used by three Portfolio Publisher applications, reducing the number of client issues by more than 50%.
- Optimized the Publisher Document Manager application, shortening the runtime of loading 9000+ documents from an hour to two minutes.
- Developed both the front end and back end of the portfolio publishing applications to implement major enhancements and solve client issues.
- Built private wealth manager application from scratch, introducing FactSet into the wealth management space, now becoming the foundation of the FactSet next-generation wealth solutions.
- Optimized portfolio lookup widgets, improving performance in speed and space by more than 50%.
A File Downloader Module for a Web Crawlerhttps://github.com/akabeera/file-downloader
The file downloader is very robust in that it's able to support huge files (50GB+ range) without timing out, it's ready to automatically restart a download in the event of losing internet connection, and it allows you to control the memory usage of each download.
It is also very configurable. You can specify the number of files to download in parallel, by size, and to break each file while downloading. You can also specify the max timeout for connecting to a server as well as waiting for server activity during a file download.
Agile Software Development, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), RESTful Development, Unit Testing, Agile, Scrum
Windows, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Visual Studio 2017
AngularJS, Express.js, Flask, Spark, Hadoop
wxWidgets, React, Node.js, NumPy, REST APIs
MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Apache Hive, Data Pipelines
Data Warehouse Design, Quantitative Analysis, Statistics, Data Structures, Algorithms, Operating Systems, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Image Processing, Signal Processing, Software Engineering, Regression, Quantitative Modeling, Engineering Management, Technical Leadership, Machine Learning, Big Data
Master of Science Degree in Quantitative Methods and Modeling
Baruch College - New York City, NY, USA
Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer and Electrical Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering - New York City, NY, USA
Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter Tuning, Regularization, and Optimization
Deeplearning.ai via Coursera
Structuring Machine Learning Projects
Deeplearning.ai via Coursera
Neural Networks and Deep Learning
Deeplearning.ai via Coursera
Stanford University via Coursera