CTO (Hands-on)2016 - PRESENTRapport.IO
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PHP, AngularJS
- Led the technology and development efforts at this award winning (literally) startup.
- Managed on-shore and off-shore resources.
- Created environmental sustainability data visualization tools for analyzing business metrics, including utility usage.
- Created data import and export tools to onboard customer utility company data.
- Shaped business strategies.
Founder2012 - PRESENTIpertur (MVP)
- Created a web-based app for a persistent dial virtual telepresence and personal digital billboard experience.
- Created a supporting Chrome extension improving the experience of the web app on the desktop.
- Developed a supporting Android application.
- Developed a secure message relay system with Node.js.
- Pitched to various investors and startup communities.
Founder1992 - PRESENTBesiex, Inc.
- Created high availability, massively multi-user, server-based solutions for clients.
- Developed mobile and mobile-friendly applications.
- Launched several startup projects.
- Developed several desktop applications with server-side integration.
- Developed scalable cloud-based solutions.
CTO (Hands On)2002 - 2012DriverGuide.com, iCentric Corp.
- Built a robust and flexible user management system handling 1 million signups/month.
- Created a powerful MySQL library for load balancing, clustering, and fail-over.
- Created a downloadable, web-integrated PC driver backup system for scanning and upgrading (450k users per month).
- Developed a large-scale downloading system handling 7.5 million downloads/month from an archive of 1 million+ unique files.
- Created a comprehensive PC support site handling 30 million page views/month and 6 million unique visits/month.
Senior Software Engineer1999 - 2001ARTISTdirect
- Led projects related to R&D for the company.
- Built a robust user management system.
- Created a customizable personal home page system for music fans.
- Built a robust, flexible discussion board engine.
- Developed a streaming radio player for fan sites.
- Built a blogging system for musical artist websites.
Research Fellow1998 - 1999University College of London
Technologies: Java, C++, C
- Developed a universal transcoding gateway.
- Worked on early wireless networking technologies (pre-Wi-Fi).
- Worked on satellite-based Internet delivery.
- Researched various issues involving video and audio transcoding.
- Did research in the field of IPv6 and MBone.
- Notable Projects (Development)
A list of some of my recent and/or notable projects.
- Rapport.IO (Development)http://rapport.io
As CTO, I have led the technology efforts at Rapport, an award and pitch winning (literally) startup in the sustainability software field. Rapport democratizes sustainability for millions of businesses around the world by providing beautiful, affordable software that helps them understand their footprint, reduce their impact, and save money.
- Ipertur (MVP) (Development)
Ipertur is a software and hardware-based personal digital billboard with a telepresence solution that helps friends, family, telecommuters, and others feel connected to the people, places, and information they want.
Ever wished you lived next door to your best friend or closest relative, where all it takes to engage in live conversation is throwing open your window? With Ipertur, you can. This deeply personal social network uses your laptop, tablet, or dedicated device to create a virtual window connecting you with those closest to you. Short, silent video loops represent the glimpses you might catch through a real window, passively encouraging the live video chat Ipertur also provides. Ipertur provides a much more genuine experience than tools like Skype, reconnecting and informing us and making live video chats easy and frequent.
Ipertur also acts as a digital billboard, showing configured app content. Your friend sees your latest Flickr photos, and you see his latest Facebook post. You can see the weather forecast, calendar events, and more. Ipertur helps friends and family stay in touch, helps people monitor their home or pet remotely, and helps telecommuters be more present at work.
- DriverGuide (Development)http://driverguide.com/
I joined iCentric Corporation in 2002 to lead an extensive redevelopment and modernization effort for its flagship site, DriverGuide.com, a site with a curated archive of over a million unique drivers and traffic of 400k unique users per day. I quickly rose to Chief Technology Officer and remained at the company for over 10 years, until life circumstances moved me to the other side of the country. At the largest and most popular PC support site on the planet, with hundreds of thousands of daily users and a streamlined crew of ten to thirty employees (depending on utilization of outside teams), I was able to wear just about every hat imaginable in my years at the company. From managing teams of in-house and out-of-house developers, to hands on software development, to art direction, to branding and marketing, to business relations, to employee relations, I enjoyed having the opportunity to do it all. The experience of working with and learning from the company's owner, a pioneer in the field and a true entrepreneur, was invaluable.
- Besiex (Development)
My dotcom consultancy and micro-incubator.
- Two Dogs and a Sidecar (Other amazing things)
A few years ago, I built a cage so that my dogs could safely travel with me throughout SoCal on my 1969 Chinese army bike.
Frameworks.NET, Zend Framework, Symfony 2, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap, CakePHP, Laravel, AngularJS, PEAR
Libraries/APIsjQuery UI, Dojo Toolkit, jQuery Mobile, jQuery, Twitter API, Flickr API, Google API, WebRTC, Facebook API, Facebook Open Graph API
ToolsMicrosoft Visio, Google Docs, Microsoft Visual Studio, Adobe Photoshop, Google Analytics, Gimp, Zend Studio, Google Webmaster Tools, Eclipse IDE, AutoHotkey, Basecamp, Adobe Illustrator
ParadigmsScalable Application, REST, Object-oriented Design (OOD), Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Responsive Web Design (RWD), Test-driven Development (TDD), Behavior-driven Development (BDD), Test Automation
PlatformsWindows, Android, MacOS, FreeBSD, Linux
StorageMemcached, MongoDB, NoSQL, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server
OtherUser Interface (UI), Web App Development, Ajax, SOAP, Prototyping, VoIP
- Master's degree in Business Administration (MBA)2013 - 2015Worcester Polytechnic Institute - Worcester, MA
- Bachelor's (and part of a Master's) degree in Mechanical Engineering1992 - 1997Worcester Polytechnic Institute - Worcester, MA