Managing Director2006 - PRESENTAzure Interactive, LLC
- Founded a web development, design, and technology consulting company, managing clients in both North America and the Greater China area.
- Managed staff both in Taiwan and abroad.
- Provided custom eCommerce, web design, and other development services geared toward small businesses.
Senior Software Engineer2015 - 2016Noodle Education, Inc.
Technologies: Django, Python, PostgreSQL
- Provided recommendations on architecture decisions and engineering best practices.
- Redesigned Noodle’s search architecture, improving reliability, performance, and scalability.
- Independently designed and developed command line tools to seamlessly manage developer interactions between environments.
- Developed and supported a versioned API, making Noodle’s search features more available both internally and to external partners.
Senior Software Engineer2013 - 2015Allclasses, Inc.
- Performed integrations with third-party data providers including Facebook and Yelp.
- Independently built the Allclasses iOS application, available on the App Store.
- Transitioned Allclasses to Elasticsearch and designed indexing strategies as well as back-end search code.
- Developed the API powering both the Allclasses website and iOS application.
Lead Developer2013 - 2015Dressed Salads HK
Technologies: Python, Django, LESS, Backbone.js, PostgreSQL
- Designed and developed an web-based ordering system for all of Dressed's HK locations.
- Localized site content and layout to Chinese.
- Developed HTML5-based mobile applications for tablet/smartphone.
- Integrated payment processing features, handling almost $1M HKD worth of transactions within first six months after launch.
Senior Developer2013 - 2014Construct Digital
Technologies: Python, Django, MySQL
- Developed core features for the Symplfy UAE car portal.
- Wrote external vendor integration tools via the SharePoint lists service API.
Senior Developer2012 - 2014Bread Retail Software and Systems
Technologies: Python, Django, PostgreSQL
- Analyzed DB performance issues and made query optimization and indexing recommendations, in many cases increasing performance by a factor of 10.
- Implemented DB replication for in-store POS and web-based ordering systems.
- Integrated automatic build and deployment processes.
- Administered several Linux-based servers, managing separate staging and production environments.
VP of Engineering2011 - 2012Genie Capital, Ltd.
- Led a team of eight engineers in the development of Python-based, large-scale social networking software.
- Defined company-wide engineering best practices including source control, unit testing, build processes, project management, and code style.
- Worked within a Chinese-speaking team.
- Represented company at trade events both in Taiwan and abroad.
- Made key architecture and technology platform decisions.
Developer2005 - 2006University of Michigan
Technologies: PHP, SQL, HTML, CSS
- Designed, developed, and maintained web-based tools designed to improve accessibility to engineering classroom facilities.
- Developed web-based software to record lectures and make streaming videos publicly available online.
- Redesigned the UM technology guide website, a directory of classroom technology facilities published for students and faculty.
- Troubleshot equipment failures and provided on-site support to university faculty.
- Dressed On-the-go (Development)
Built an online ordering system for the popular HK salad franchise. Since February 2013, On-the-go has handled over $500,000 HKD worth of transactions and is now being used across all of Dressed's five Hong Kong locations.
- Allclasses (Development)
Allclasses is the world's largest search engine for local and online classes. Apart from significant back-end and front-end web development work, I was responsible for the entire iOS app development cycle.
- Global Leadership Adventures (Development)http://www.experiencegla.com
Designed and built an online application and student registration system, allowing GLA to process thousands of applications and manage trips from one central location.
- Expat Workforce (Development)
Founded an expat job marketplace that connects professional expats with local employers in need of high-quality, internationally minded talent. Acquired by Recruu, Inc. in 2014.
FrameworksFlask, Django, Laravel, iOS SDK, CakePHP
Libraries/APIsBackbone.js, jQuery, React, Yelp API, Facebook iOS SDK, Facebook API
PlatformsMacOS, Linux, iOS
ToolsSubversion (SVN), Xcode, Git, Adobe Fireworks, Adobe Photoshop
StorageElasticsearch, Redis, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB
ParadigmsFunctional Programming, Test-driven Development (TDD)
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Summa Cum Laude) degree in Computer Science Engineering2004 - 2009University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Michigan