Verified Expert in Engineering
Ben is a solution architect and a full-stack developer with over ten years of experience creating robust web, mobile, and desktop solutions of varying size and complexity for clients ranging from small businesses to enterprise corporations. Ben takes pride in building high-quality and performant applications on the .NET stack that not only meet the requirements put forward by the clients but exceed their expectations.
Windows, Azure DevOps, Visual Studio, Azure, .NET Core, .NET, C#.NET
The most amazing...
...project I've built included architecture, development, and delivery of a complex donation management system where I managed a team of designers and developers.
Solution Architect and Senior Application Developer
- Worked with clients to analyze requirements and create specification documents with accompanying wireframes for new solutions.
- Developed bespoke web applications for clients from small businesses to corporations.
- Managed a team of application developers, including monitoring the quality of work and organizing formal and ad-hoc training.
- Set up and configured hosting environments including Azure, AWS, Windows Server, and shared hosting environments.
- Provided ongoing support for the legacy application and technologies as required by clients.
- Developed iOS and Android applications using the Xamarin framework.
Senior Full-stack Developer
The International Arts and Culture Group
- Worked with the client to design a complex database structure that would support the requirements needed for their social platform.
- Began the development of a platform where artists could showcase their work and connect with other artists globally.
- Designed and provisioned Azure services for hosting.
Flight Centre (via Dialog Information Technology)
- Worked with a small team of developers to make enhancements to a global travel management system.
- Set up automated user interface testing for a global travel management system used by companies worldwide.
- Worked with the client to configure automated deployment pipelines.
Queensland Health (via Dialog Information Technology)
- Operated as a consultant working with large corporate and government clients, including Queensland Health and Flight Centre.
- Created a web-based community healthcare system used by health professionals in the field to schedule and track client engagements.
- Built a patient dashboard system that was displayed on large screens in each ward to indicate the patient's status in there.
- Developed a hospital reporting dashboard that was used by the hospital management to handle the patient flow and provide an overview of the hospital status that was previously unavailable.
- Analyzed legacy systems and managed the migration and restructuring of data.
GIVIT — Nationwide Donation Management Platformhttps://www.zeroseven.com.au/projects/givit
For this project, I operated as a solution architect and lead developer working with GIVIT to reevaluate their existing processes used within their current platform and define the new solution that would become the core of their business. In this role, I was required to determine the scope of work, create and estimate tickets and work items, operate as a senior developer within the team, and oversee other developers, ensuring the quality of the final product.
The final product produced included:
• New public website where donors could see required items from over 4,000 organizations across Australia and pledge to donate items or make financial donations.
• Bespoke web application accessed by GIVIT administrators and users from the over 4,000 organizations where they can add items they need and view donations pledged by donors.
• Service for handling post-processing tasks, including sending notifications and regular alerts.
To support the large user loads expected during natural disasters, we decided to host the platform in Azure with support for auto-scaling.
I first inherited the Racing Queensland website to completely redesign and restructure their site and content. The request was to entirely rebuild the website using the Kentico CMS as the base of the solution. During this rebuild process, I operated as a team lead, managing tasks and reviewing the quality of work while also participating in the development.
Although my contribution to the initial project rebuild was of a lead developer, my role extended to a solution architect: I then worked with the client as the project underwent additional redesigns and new features were added.
There were several challenges that I faced on this project, including:
• Creating an interface for displaying meeting and race details that was able to show the maximum amount of racing data while not appearing cluttered or bloated.
• Managing the performance of the meeting and race pages due to the large and complex structure of race and horse data.
For this project, the staff of Zeroseven worked directly with members of the Micah projects team for over 48 hours in a hackathon-style environment. Given the scope of the website, the Umbraco CMS was the obvious choice of platform as it allowed for rapid development while still being a fully-featured CMS.
I worked as a lead developer for this project, overseeing the back-end developers, managing tasks, and assisting in putting out fires so that the team faced fewer issues and could continue to code.
.NET Core, ASP.NET, ASP.NET Core, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET Core MVC, .NET, ASP.NET Web Forms, Entity Framework Core, Selenium, Blazor
jQuery, Vue, Azure Blob Storage API, Entity Framework
Visual Studio, Subversion (SVN), Kentico, SendGrid, Git, SendinBlue, Hangfire, Assembla, Jenkins
Waterfall Development, Microservices, Azure DevOps, Agile Software Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), Parallel Programming, Load Testing
Umbraco, Windows, Azure, Xamarin, NopCommerce, Windows Server, Mobile, Android, iOS, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Azure Websites, Microsoft SQL Server, Azure SQL, Redis Cache, Neo4j
Source Control Management, Waterfall Methodology, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), Azure WebJobs, Solution Architecture, IIS, EF6 Code First, Dynamic Load Balancing, SSL Certificates, Octopus Deploy
Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology
Queensland University of Technology - Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Umbraco Certified Professional
Kentico Certified Developer
Microsoft Certified Professional
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring