- Front-end DeveloperThumbtack (via Toptal)2016 - PRESENT
Technologies: React.js, Babel, Redux, React-Router, Create React App, Visualforce, Apex
- Built a help center from the ground up using Create React App.
- Built a Salesforce integration layer using Salesforce's Force.com platform.
- Front-end DeveloperHomely (via Toptal)2015 - 2016
Technologies: React.js, Babel, Reflux.js, SASS, Gulp
- Built front-end using React-based component architecture.
- Implemented a design for product features.
- Created mobile-first, responsive interfaces.
- Utilized advanced ECMAScript 6 and 7 language features for more expressive, flexible code.
- Effectively worked with a remote team in a distant time zone.
- Front-end Software EngineerYelp2012 - 2014
Technologies: Python, jQuery, Closure Library
- Worked closely with the product team to build new features for the desktop and mobile site.
- Had a lead role on the small team that produced Yelp's first UI style guide, and then made it available to the public. The style guide precipitated an organization-wide push towards modular design.
- Completely rebuilt Yelp's most important page--the business page--from scratch, using advanced CSS features for layout and interaction.
- Led the development of a complete overhaul of all email templates, including Yelp Weekly, which is sent to millions of users per week.
- Gained unique experience working on a large-scale software project with hundreds of contributors. Learned extensively about release engineering, including testing and deployment, as well as common web security vulnerabilities.
- UI Designer/Web DeveloperCouchsurfing2011 - 2012
Technologies: PHP, jQuery
- Designed multiple experiments focused on optimizing user onboarding, using Optimizely's A/B testing platform.
- Had a fluid role within a startup environment, ranging from coding to graphic design and product management.
- Used Scrum.
- Redesigned the website's main navigation.
- Overcame challenges involved in modernizing the front-end of a 7-year-old codebase.
- Web DeveloperPerch Design Studio2009 - 2011
Technologies: WordPress, PHP, jQuery
- Turned beautiful Photoshop designs into WordPress sites.
- Built some Shopify sites.
- Learned how to use WordPress as a framework for general application development, not just for blogging and static content.
- Built mobile sites using both custom mobile stylesheets as well as media queries when they were still a new technology.
- Got to work with many local businesses in and around my home town of Portland, Maine.