Senior Software Developer2018 - 2021Amazon.com
Technologies: Software Architecture, Distributed Systems, AWS, Amazon Machine Learning, Cloud Computing, Spring, REST, Java, AWS Step Functions, AWS Lambda, AWS Batch, AWS Fargate, AWS CloudFormation, Amazon SQS, AWS DynamoDB, AWS Push Notification Service (AWS SNS), ECS, Docker, Amazon SageMaker, Python, AWS S3, AWS API Gateway, Git, Architecture, Design Patterns, APIs
- Designed and led the team of seven developers to implement changes in the Amazon Retail pipeline to accept Health Benefit Cards (HSA and FSA) in the US marketplace. The program enabled millions of customers to use their Health Benefit Cards in Amazon.
- Co-led the design and implementation of changes in the Amazon Retail pipeline to accept EBT cards in the US marketplace. The program was a huge success in the pandemic where millions of low income households were able to use their EBT cards on Amazon.
- Led the design and implementation of an orchestration system to automate machine learning models training and inference. Built on top of an AWS infrastructure, the system is capable of training thousands of models at a time.
- Led the redesign of the Alexa Music back-end system from a monolithic service to service-oriented architecture-based services. The design allowed critical APIs to scale independently and reduced development and maintenance costs.
- Refactored a payment-critical service in the Amazon Retail pipeline to improve its throughput. Reduced from 500+ hosts to just 30 hosts to process 20,000+ transactions per second. Saved thousands of dollars annually in operating costs.
- Led the design and implementation of a machine learning model repository. Built a multi-tenant application to allow teams across the organization to import their models and track deployment status.
- Oversaw multiple teams at Amazon building paying experience across Amazon marketplaces. Provided them design guidance and reviewed their architectural design to ensure a simple, secure, accessible, and uniform paying experience.
- Mentored engineers from different organizations and regularly held knowledge-sharing sessions to share knowledge across organizations.
Software Developer2013 - 2018Amazon.com
Technologies: Distributed Systems, AWS, Java, REST, Agile, Software Architecture, Team Mentoring, Spring, AWS DynamoDB, Amazon SQS, AWS Push Notification Service (AWS SNS), Hibernate, Automation, Git, Design Patterns, Architecture, APIs, Databases, Microservices, SQL
- Designed and led a group of eight engineers to implement Amazon Cash, an application for Amazon customers to add cash to their Amazon Balance in real-time from retail stores such as Walgreens and CVS.
- Co-authored the design of a highly scalable balance tracking system, which is built on top of AWS DynamoDB, capable of processing 40,000+ transactions per second. The new system increased throughput by 5x and reduced operating costs by 3x.
- Led the migration of the Amazon Gift Certificates balance system from a legacy to the new balance tracking system without downtime. Migrated hundreds of millions of customer accounts and billions of transactions to the new system.
- Led the multi-year effort of automating Amazon Gift Certificates accounting workflows that were responsible for booking billions of dollars of annual revenue. Collaborated with 10+ teams worldwide.
- Developed a workflow to automatically replace failed activation gift cards. The workflow significantly reduced customer contact and saved more than $10,000+ per month.
- Served as subject matter expert on multiple services in Amazon Gift Certificates' ordering, fulfillment, balance tracking, and accounting systems. Helped onboard multiple developers to the team and hosted knowledge-sharing sessions for new hires.
Software Developer Intern2012 - 2012Amazon.com
Technologies: Java, Spring, Hibernate, JSP, SFTP, Workflows
- Designed and implemented a workflow to automate Amazon Gift Certificates code generation and secure upload to third-party printers for printing gift cards.
- Updated the internal web tool to simplify managing gift certificate code generation workflows and updating third-party printer encryption keys.
- Integrated LDAP-based authentication to manage access to the gift certificate code generation page in the internal web tool.
- Launched all of my intern projects two weeks before the deadline and received a returning full-time offer.
Software Developer Intern2012 - 2012FamilySearch International
Technologies: Java, Spring, Hibernate, MySQL, Web Services, REST
- Designed and implemented a RESTful web service to import and persist genealogy data from CSV files with millions of records into a MySQL database.
- Designed and implemented a paginated web UI to display genealogy data from the web service.
- Collaborated with senior developers in the team to prepare weekly status reports and to showcase my works in bi-weekly product demo meetings.
Software Developer Intern2010 - 2010Brigham Young University
Technologies: Android, Java
- Designed and implemented an Android application for university students to automatically log into the secured Wi-Fi provided by the university.
- Collaborated with other interning students on project design discussions and reviews.
- Assisted a program manager to come up with the project status to report to senior leadership.