Verified Expert in Engineering
Scalable Architecture Developer
Bill is an expert in distributed systems and high scalability, with a wide range of experience from web startups, consulting to enterprise and education software. Having increased top-line revenue by 100 million at a unicorn startup, saving a key system from crumbling under load, setting direction and plans for a core part of the product, Bill is looking forward to bring his expertise to new projects.
The most amazing...
...project I've built is a dynamic delivery fee model while working at DoorDash, that increased the company's revenue by 5% —around 100 million at the time.
Senior Software Engineer | Tech Lead
- Led a cross functional team to expand restaurant availability via dynamic delivery fees, which ultimately led to a 5% or over $100 million increase in revenue by the end of 2020.
- Worked closely with several other technical leads to design our new microservice architecture and resolve cross-team architectural issues.
- Led several technical projects extracting various pricing logic from our Python and Django monolith into a new Kotlin and Kassandra-based service, forming a new engineering team around this new domain in the process.
- Led several other pricing-related projects to support more flexible pricing adjustment for both driving volume and response to regulatory changes.
Senior Software Engineer
- Took part of the team responsible for the majority of our core back-end platform, including systems powering homepage, search, player, and other content-related functions.
- Led a project from ideation, getting support to completion to improve homepage recommendations, resulting in a 3% increase in conversion.
- Investigated and mitigated distributed hacking attempts.
- Created a message-processing system that can scale to millions of messages per day.
- Migrated our message queue technology from Azure MQ to Amazon SQS.
- Mentored other developers on the team.
- Worked on a related front-end application based on React and Electron.
Alberta Ministry of Education
- Developed a curriculum development application using Angular, C#/.NET, and SQL Server.
- Resolved various performance issues—primarily related to search and querying complex data.
- Participated in the Agile transformation of the team and the department.
- Delivered consistently successful software projects, sometimes under pressure.
- Provided technical advice to the clientc.
- Advocated engineering best practices like Agile to client teams.
- Developed new features and maintained the existing code base with a million lines of code.
- Provided technical support to implementation teams.
Idea Market Design Inc.
- Developed new websites in the Joomla! Framework.
- Managed the Linux servers at the company and for some of our clients as well.
- Worked on a data gathering/processing initiative.
- Patched an open source network tool for a specific security problem that we faced.
- Developed a project management website.
- Managed server farms and wrote the corresponding documentation for them.
Curriculum Development Application
- Improving performance of a very complex search functionality.
- Creating a separate public-facing application to allow staged content publishing and a higher-performance consumer app.
- Modifying a TinyMCE editor to support math symbols.
Main technologies used: C#, AngularJS, SQL Server.
My primary contributions include:
- Scaling the system to handle millions of messages per day.
- Migrating our message queue technology from Azure MQ to Amazon SQS.
- Tune-logging to find the optimal point for debugging and performance.
- Diagnosing some product issues under pressure.
- Mentoring other developers on the team.
- Managed client inquiries and requirement changes.
Main technologies used: Node.js, Microservices, Azure Message Queue, AWS SQS.
Google AI Challenge | Antshttps://github.com/analyst74/aichallenge-ants
Main technologies used: Python, Numpy, Cython, Algorithms Design.
Soccer Field Searchhttps://github.com/analyst74/rec-search
Main technologies used: Node.js, MongoDB.
Construction Document Management System
Main technologies used: C#, SharePoint.
Main technologies used: C#, SQL Server.
jQuery, Node.js, Backbone.js, REST APIs
Microservices, Agile Software Development, Microservices Architecture, Concurrent Programming
Elasticsearch, MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, NoSQL, Cassandra, MongoDB
Distributed Systems, Scalable Architecture, Message Queues
AngularJS, .NET, Angular
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Linux, Joomla
Atom, GitHub, Git
Diploma Degree in Computer Programming and Analysis
Seneca College - Toronto, Canada