Verified Expert in Engineering
Bjarni is an experienced engineering manager with a background in software architecture and 10+ years in software engineering, focusing on team building and cloud services. He is adept at leading cross-functional teams, driving digital transformations, and enhancing engineering processes. Bjarni is proficient in cloud and distributed systems architecture and is passionate about cultivating engineering talent and ensuring delivery excellence.
Azure, .NET, C#, Visual Studio, Next.js, TypeScript, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
The most amazing...
...thing I've built is a high-performing team capable of consistently surpassing stakeholders' expectations.
Senior Solutions Architect and Consultant
- Revamped an IoT ingestion pipeline for a Swiss manufacturing company using Azure Functions and microservices architecture, resulting in 3x cheaper operating cost, a 40% reduction in bugs, and enhanced AI-driven analytics.
- Led a greenfield IoT project for a Swiss industrial company. Created a POC within one month that connected a simulated on-site gateway to Azure IoT Hub, where AI models could store and analyze manufacturing data for predictive maintenance.
- Led the design and creation of Azure-based applications for financial institutions. These applications resulted in substantial business growth, with one application increasing sales by 6x after the first three months.
Software Engineering Manager and Azure Architect
Vörur Tryggingar hf
- Managed and mentored a team of six engineers, emphasizing their technical and personal growth. We successfully released four large projects, increasing customer self-service by almost 4x and increasing life and health policy sales by 90%.
- Championed the company's Azure cloud adoption, overseeing the migration of services and establishing best practices for cloud management.
- Fostered a collaborative and high-trust team culture, emphasizing accountability and agile software delivery, optimizing delivery frequencies, and streamlining the development lifecycle.
Codit Switzerland AG
- Developed a user and topology management system critical for the project's success by creating a back end and front end for managing users and topologies while achieving 90% test coverage to ensure the correctness of the code.
- Created an MVP for automatic claims processing based on weather data for a large reinsurer that improved processing time from weeks to hours by using Azure Logic Apps and Azure Functions.
- Specialized in using various Azure PaaS and Serverless services to achieve high development velocity on these projects.
Software Engineering Consultant
- Established a software engineering consultancy in Iceland, catering to clients in the financial sector.
- Supported and further developed a customer analysis web application for an insurance company's sales department, using ASP.NET and C#, which increased yearly sales by 100%.
- Designed a web-based analytics application for pension and insurance coverage from the ground up, which financial advisors at a major bank adopted, leading to enhanced client guidance and insights.
- Served as a teaching assistant during my bachelor's studies, helping with courses about operating systems, databases, and software requirements and design.
- Held weekly classes to show students how to develop the right solution to the previous week's project.
- Assisted students via email with their weekly projects.
CRESS Research Center, Reykjavik University
- Verified the formal specification of a wireless distributed connectivity algorithm, a cloud computing environment, and flight schedules for an international airline using the Rebeca model checker.
- Applied machine learning techniques to optimize flight schedules with the goal of reducing fuel consumption throughout its fleet.
- Researched, analyzed, and summarized publications in related fields to create reports and presentations for the research group.
- Developed web services and reports in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 to automate insurance policy document generation.
- Rewrote some parts of an old insurance system written in Delphi into the new Microsoft Dynamics AX system.
- Performed activities related to the database administration on the company's primary production database.
Public Website and Customer Portalhttp://vordur.is
My role was to technically lead the development and manage a team of six members—five developers and one QA. I also set up and managed the CI/CD using GitLab and Azure App Service and configured our Jira project and workflow.
Cloud-based IoT Pipeline MVP
Income Protection App
.NET, ASP.NET MVC, ASP.NET, .NET Core, Next.js, Razor Pages, Bootstrap, Angular, SpecFlow, Django
REST APIs, LINQ, Entity Framework, React, jQuery, Moq, Node.js
Visual Studio, GitHub, Microsoft Dynamics AX, GitLab CI/CD, Azure App Service, Jira, Azure IoT Hub, C#.NET WinForms
Agile, DevOps, REST, Unit Testing, Requirements Analysis, Software Testing, Azure DevOps, Microservices
Azure, Azure Functions, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Windows Server 2008, Linux
Databases, SQL Server 2008, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server 2012, Azure Cosmos DB
Software Architecture, Software Development, Web Development, APIs, Software Engineering, CI/CD Pipelines, .NET 6, Content Management Systems (CMS), Technical Consulting, Technical Leadership, Business Analysis, Architecture, Full-stack, Full-stack Development, Finance, Integration, Fintech, Algorithms, Computer Security, Internet of Things (IoT), SOAP, Integration Testing, Front-end, Distributed Systems, Storybook, Azure Data Lake
Master's Degree in Computer Science
ETH Zürich - Zürich, Switzerland
Bachelor of Science Degree in Software Engineering
Reykjavik University - Reykjavik, Iceland
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring