SQL Developer in Honolulu, HI, United States
Software Engineer III2018 - PRESENTRover.com
Technologies: Python, Django, MySQL, Docker
- Built new features for Rover's Django-based web front-end.
- Built unit tests for all new code. Rover has over 90% unit test coverage.
Senior Software Engineer2016 - 2018Whitepages
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Python, Tensorflow, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Jenkins, Postgres
- Improved and maintained a core Ruby on Rails web app serving 80k+ page views per minute.
- Migrated the system to a microservice architecture.
- Migrated the system to Kubernetes on AWS and helped build tooling to automate deployments using Helm and Jenkins.
- Improved performance decreasing total page load by more than 1.5 seconds.
- Built a bi-directional LSTM neural network to classify visitor search terms.
Senior Software Engineer2013 - 2016Contix
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, React, C#, Objective-C, Java, Node, RabbitMQ, MySQL
- Built an NLP pipeline using RabbitMQ, Ruby, and Java to ingest tweets in real time, perform entity recognition, and perform machine learning techniques to classify the tweets.
- Built a restful API and web app front-end using Ruby on Rails to display real-time news alerts using web sockets.
- Built a native Windows application (in C#) and a native Mac OS X application (using Objective-C) that used the API and web socket connections to display news in real time.
- Created a React app that was meant to replace both the web front-end and native apps (via Electron) reusing as much code as possible. The web front-end piece was completed, and the desktop piece was mostly done (I just needed to work in native notifications), but the company ran out of funding.
Senior Software Engineer2011 - 2013OpenArc
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PHP, C#, Git, Postgres, PostGIS
- Worked with clients to gather requirements, define features, develop, release, deploy, and maintain many software systems.
- Built a custom land-survey plotting app using OpenLayers and PostGIS.
- Integrated with many third-party APIs including Braintree for payments.
- Contributed to open-source software such as OpenLayers.
Senior Software Engineer2009 - 2011Four Rivers Software Systems
Technologies: VB.NET, C#, ASP.NET, C++
- Developed a mobile-focused web app using VB.Net.
- Worked with clients to gather requirements and develop customizations for their organization.
- Hireology (Development)
Hireology was a major client of mine while working at OpenArc. At the time, I was the sole developer, working directly with the client to implement new features, improve payment flows with the Braintree API, and fix bugs.
- Web-starter-kit (Development)https://github.com/bmatcuk/web-starter-kit
Web-starter-kit is a simple example project that can be used as a good starting point for building a React web app using Webpack, including support for hot reload. The starter kit can build isomorphic apps where static pages can be pre-rendered, and all pages can be rendered server-side for improved SEO.
- Html-brunch-static (Development)https://github.com/bmatcuk/html-brunch-static
- Doublestar (Development)https://github.com/bmatcuk/doublestar
Doublestar is a drop-in replacement for Golang's built-in path Match and Glob functions that adds support for doublestars, a.k.a. globstars. For example: path/**/match would recursively match any file or directory called "match" under the "path" directory.
- Additional Code Samples on My Github (Development)https://github.com/bmatcuk
I have many open source projects available on GitHub in a variety of languages.
FrameworksRuby on Rails (RoR), Bootstrap, Django, Flask, Mocha.js, minitest, React Native
Libraries/APIsNode.js, jQuery, React, TensorFlow
ToolsGitHub, RSpec, Git, Webpack
ParadigmsTest-driven Development (TDD), Waterfall Development, Agile
PlatformsWeb, Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android
StorageMySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering2001 - 2005Penn State University - State College, PA
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and Engineering2001 - 2005Penn State University - State College, PA
- React Native AcademyJANUARY 2019 - PRESENTToptal
- Blockchain SpecializationNOVEMBER 2018 - PRESENTCoursera
- Machine LearningAUGUST 2016 - PRESENTStanford University | via Coursera