Verified Expert in Engineering
Web App Development Developer
Brandon spent four years as an engineer at Google and recently completed several successful engineering projects in automated trading, digital advertising, and eCommerce. He takes great pride in his ability to empathize with users and clients and to understand their needs, his ability to foresee issues before they happen, his masterful and creative use of software, his eye for good design, and his efficient process for organizing work and getting things done.
The most amazing...
...product I've worked on is Google Ads; it won the product excellence award within Google when it launched. I received multiple awards for my work on the project.
Developer and Consultant
Freelance Web Developer and Consultant
- Built a high-performance UI for a web-based digital audio workstation and its surrounding SaaS website. The app performs at 60 FPS despite complex zooming animations and data requirements. Each page of the SaaS website loads almost instantly.
- Built a web-based advertising tool for a client in the automotive industry. The tool automated several tasks for managing Facebook marketing audiences, cutting down the client's workflow from 2-3 hours to just a few minutes.
- Created an automated trading application which enabled a client to execute on their algorithmic trading strategy. The client's trading accounts move large sums of money each day, so security was a primary concern.
- Built a web-based food ordering experience (similar to Uber Eats) that integrated into AI chat flows, as well as the merchant-facing CMS for the platform. Dramatically improved UI performance of existing pages that would often freeze.
Software Engineer III
- Developed web apps (Google Ads and parts of Google Assistant) which served millions of users with different use cases, device types, backgrounds, and ability levels.
- Played an active role in leading complex engineering projects from start to finish, organizing spreadsheets of processes and tasks, managing important details such as assignees, bottlenecks, dependencies, deadlines, stages, and priorities.
- Collaborated with UX designers and product managers to give feedback on designs and proactively suggest improvements, as well as communicate engineering constraints to wrangle complexity and scope.
- Added instrumentation for the review translation feature on mobile devices. Wrangled the log data stored in Amazon S3 and assembled the results into a dashboard for internal use.
- Added SQL filtering options for an internal admin dashboard.
- Wrangled geographical data to contribute to Yelp's Japan launch.
My day to day work mostly involved writing UI components for the front end, but I also spent time developing productivity tools for other engineers as well as meeting with engineers, PMs, and designers to develop and execute on the product vision, directly addressing the biggest problems and needs of our advertisers, both small and large.
The resulting settings experience that I built was smooth and functional. I also personally took on the responsibility of ensuring proper accessibility testing and web performance, as well as driving the launch process. As a result of our careful planning and efficient execution, we completed the project two weeks earlier than anticipated.
I implemented the webview feature for Botsheets. Webviews are dynamic views displayed by chat applications (e.g. Facebook Messenger) which enable more rich functionality for the chatbot.
The implementation included the webview builder, which allows users to link specific Spreadsheet columns to the webview, as well as the webview itself, which is displayed to users interacting with the chatbot. All of this was done with React, and made use of the Material UI and Formik libraries.
I also built the landing page for the product.
Trading Places Research
McCreery's Home Furnishingshttps://mccreerys.com
The first module allowed customers to request quotes for furniture.
The second module allowed the client to gather customer information in multiple stages, instead of requiring the customer to fill out an entire form (that resulted in lost leads).
The third module allowed the client to import their previous Wordpress blog to Odoo. This was by far the most complex project since it involved heavily processing the Wordpress content to make it compatible with Odoo's expected file format.
I implemented these three modules despite never having worked with Odoo before, and the client's systems engineer was surprised by my fast turnaround time.
Personal Finance Dashboard
* A React-based front end with SVG-based charts (built from scratch) tracking individual and aggregate account value over time.
* A back end that automatically logs into financial sites at specified intervals throughout the day and dumps the results into a database to be read by the front end.
Angular, Next.js, OAuth 2
Web, Linux, Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Firebase, Windows, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
Web App Development, Web Usability, Web Accessibility, Fintech, APIs, Advertising, SVG, UI Animation
MySQL, NoSQL, Google Cloud
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Cornell University - Ithaca, NY