Verified Expert in Engineering
Brent is a passionate developer, equally comfortable wearing many hats at small startups as diving deep into large companies' technical niches. Throughout his roles, he was involved in building products from system design and architecture through deployment and infrastructure upkeep. Brent thrives on taking often-vague business requirements to turn them into shipped profitable products.
The most amazing...
...thing I've created for fun is an extended DB query builder to read information schema and make a weighted directed graph from foreign keys to solve auto joins.
Internal Software Engineer
- Designed, built, and maintained high-volume systems to support the organization's partnership throughout Facebook Meta's products.
- Monitored, maintained, and improved the partner graph's data quality and infrastructure health.
- Designed and implemented several plugin ecosystems to allow other engineering teams to build on top of our platforms, including a partner timeline and a universal change request platform with hierarchical approval flows.
- Automated the account onboarding process to enable higher throughput for applications and international onboarding.
- Built and maintained user-facing API endpoints for market and portfolio data.
- Automated data stream processing, including security master lists for tradable assets, and corporate actions, such as dividends, splits, and identifier changes, moving away from dependence on external clearing brokers.
- Architected, developed, and maintained ongoing iteration for analytics platform to manage millions of dollars in ad spend.
- Worked directly with the CTO to strategize and implement appropriate technological solutions for every business facet.
- Led numerous experimental and research projects to apply machine learning and statistical modeling to problems, such as ad performance prediction, cost-effective experimentation, and user fingerprinting.
Universal API Layer for Rapidly-changing Database | Herschel
To support the growing number of services relying on this data, without implementing bespoke endpoints, we built an interactive dynamic API to generate itself from a combination of configuration and the schema definition of our app boot database. This approach allowed the schema to change and the users, such as other in-house engineers, to decide what data they need from the API itself, like what GraphQL offers today.
My role in this project was end-to-end ownership. As the person maintaining the initial business data API, this project enabled me to move quickly and work on different business needs without getting bogged down in support and maintenance.
Based on the user's information when clicking on an ad, we predicted which angle they'll respond best to and serve that in a sales funnel, a landing page, or an eCommerce store product page. The goal was to place the best copy in front of a given user.
I collaborated with the CTO on this product for initial design considerations, but I was the sole contributor to the codebase.
Databases, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Software, API Design, Back-end, APIs, Finance, Data Processing
Docker, Linux, Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
The University of British Columbia - Kelowna, BC, Canada