Verified Expert in Engineering
Brian gained experience in a wide range of technologies and languages through developing automated self-service hosting platforms. He excels at acquiring skills in unfamiliar technologies, as well as applying the skills he already has to getting projects completed. Brian has successfully worked with both large multinational project teams, and as the sole developer for small companies.
Go, Python, Git, Agile, Vue
The most amazing...
...software I've created is lexical analysis library (grammar, parser, tokenizer, compiler) for network switch and router configuration.
Head of Software Development
- Oversaw all software development processes within the company, including project timelines and tasks. Managed all members of the development team.
- Implemented administrative tools and interfaces to assist the customer support teams.
- Built back-end technology for automated provisioning and management of the main CDN product.
- Implemented new CDN functionality and features in response to requests from end users. Collaborated with both end users and stakeholders within CacheFly.
- Enabled easier monitoring and management of the global network by implementing a real-time internal dashboard and web admin tool using Python, Vue, and WebSocket.
- Implemented agent software to allow for easy remote control and configuration of all servers.
- Advocated for software development best practices and ensured others were aware of the reasons for the methodology.
- Implemented new back-end systems to provide optimized automation of provisioning and maintenance tasks.
Senior Software Engineer
- Migrated legacy software platform from Amazon Machine Images to Docker containers.
- Helped design and implement low maintenance on-premise variant of SaaS offering through the use of custom orchestration of Docker Swarm.
- Assisted with ongoing migration from Python 2 to Python 3.
- Researched and designed new functionality for integrating e-discovery workflows with Slack.
- Maintained existing legacy software written in Python 2.
1&1 internet (United Kingdom)
- Instigated the process of porting old software from Delphi to C#.
- Implemented modern software for automated configuration of Cisco switches.
- Introduced a continuous integration and deployment system for Docker images.
- Was a member of the team which created a self-service container hosting platform based on Docker, Kubernetes, and OpenShift.
- Introduced a pattern of using Python 3 for building REST APIs.
Technical Architect | Lead Developer
- Improved a self-service domain registration system to scale to hundreds of TLDs.
- Created a large-scale Ruby on Rails shared hosting platform.
- Introduced new technical coding and documentation standards department-wide.
- Collaborated with internal non-technical product owners to design solutions for implementation by development teams.
- Coordinated with suppliers and regulators to ensure technical compliance.
- Contributed to updating and modernizing the self-service domain registration system.
- Introduced unit testing to back-end components of the service platform.
- Led development for a project to introduce multiple different types of storage to the self-service virtual private server platform.
- Triaged and closed operational issues. Required investigating the root cause and implementing fixes as appropriate.
Technical Manager | Developer | System Administrator
- Created a full in-house customer relationship management (CRM) for service, order, and task management.
- Developed automated invoicing with direct debit payment reconciliation.
- Built an automated broadband ADSL and WLR3 telephone line provisioning.
- Developed automated server management for web and email hosting.
- Customized network router firmware to include auto-provisioning capabilities and company branding.
- Developed an email antivirus and spam filtering service with web-based quarantine controls.
- Implemented a new dual-homed IPv4 and IPv6 network.
Fasthosts Domain Registration Systemhttps://www.fasthosts.co.uk/domains
I participated in the system's modernization and led further development for several years. I also introduced many modern development practices and improved performance and scalability to accommodate many daily users. Furthermore, I built primarily as a declarative state synchronization machine, implemented using an asynchronous event-driven model for performance and scale, built in C# with .Net 4.5 on the back end, and integrated with an existing PHP-based customer self-service portal and Drupal-based marketing website.
Lawyers Online Billing System
I designed it in collaboration with the rest of the business and developed it almost exclusively by myself. I built it with PHP on both the back and front end, but I extensively used jQuery in the user interface. Integration with financial systems was done using various proprietary XML over HTTP protocols.
Django REST Framework, Django, Laravel, .NET, Selenium
GitHub, Microsoft Visual Studio, Bitbucket, Atlassian Suite, Jira, Docker Hub, IntelliJ IDEA, WebStorm, PyCharm, JetBrains, GitLab, Git, RabbitMQ, Jenkins, Subversion (SVN), PhpStorm
API Architecture, REST, REST API Architecture, Kanban, Agile Software Development, Agile, Scrum, ITIL, Management, Test-driven Development (TDD)
Docker, Kubernetes, Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, Amazon EC2, FreeBSD, OpenShift, MacOS, Drupal, Windows
Software Architecture, HTTPS, SMTP, HTTP, SSH, LDAP, System Administration, Linux Administration, Back-end, Software, Network Protocols, Architecture, ITIL V3 Foundation Certified, Software Design, Leadership, Technical Writing, IP Networks, Content Delivery Networks (CDN), Team Leadership, Cisco, GitFlow, Cryptography, Domain Name Registration, DNS, PCI, PDF
Vue 2, jQuery, Vue, Node.js
PostgreSQL, Redis, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, MySQL
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring