- Rails Developer2017 - 2017Roomsie
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, React
- Added feature specs to the codebase during the first week of the project.
- Used TDD to build a large number of React components and meet specific deadlines.
- Extended legacy code by first covering with tests and then adding additional feature mainly via React.
- Full-stack Ruby on Rails Developer2016 - 2017ETSZONE
- Modified both RSpec tests and codebase in the first week so that ~20 tests changed from failing to passing.
- Successfully migrated a Ruby on Rails database from MySQL to PostgreSQL.
- Removed a Solr dependency from a Ruby on Rails app by using either SQL queries or the DataTables jQuery plugin.
- Improved the UX by implementing client-side form validation with Bootstrap Validator.
- Implemented an RSpec feature testing using Capybara, which is now being used across all the Ruby on Rails apps.
- Ruby on Rails + Back-end Developer2016 - 2016PhotosynQ
- Modified the Bootstrap carousel approach in order to create a user interface that allows browsing projects, users, and other database table records as "cards" in a tableau.
- Implemented a global project map for the site homepage (http://photosynq.org/ - scroll to the bottom of the page).
- Created an API endpoint for user comments, including the ability to upload Base64 images and Google Cloud Messaging notifications.
- Transitioned Dropzone UI for uploading images from using a dedicated media server to using AWS S3 via CarrierWave.
- Used test-driven development to implement the above features and also debugged existing RSpec tests that passed individually but failed when executed as a group.
- Senior Ruby on Rails Developer2015 - 2016A Hundred Years/TEDEd
- Created a service object for pulling available subtitle languages from the YouTube API for a given TEDEd lesson.
- Added the ability to filter TEDEd lessons by the subtitle languages available to the UI (http://ed.ted.com/lessons).
- Senior Rails Developer - Web/Mobile2013 - 2016RaceMenu
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Heroku, Git, GitHub
- Created RSpec and/or Cucumber tests as needed.
- Supported a Rails JSON API.
- Created a method to clone an existing race event into another one, reducing the time required from about an hour to five minutes.
- Created a method for registering for a series of events through a single season pass event without the need to replicate multiple records in the database.
- Replicated, explained, and corrected bugs in a legacy (i.e., code without tests) codebase.
- Senior Ruby on Rails Developer2015 - 2015Toptal Engagement
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, MiniTest/RSpec, Heroku, PostgreSQL, Devise, Pundit, Rails API, Sidekiq
- Supported the capture and parsing of information from a number of commercial API endpoints (including SOAP XML).
- Supported the capture of downloads via automated “human” interactions with an embedded ShockWave object using Curl to build AMF requests.
- Aggregated a table of business process failures by parsing captured commercial API data.
- Created two different site on-boarding processes that branched, depending on the URI, and, if successful, allowed device-specific password selection.
- Created dashboards that had Pundit-policy dependent formatting and content.
- Web Developer2012 - 2013Virginia Community College System
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, Selenium WebDriver, AWS, RSpec, Headless/Xvfb
- Worked with math instructors to create a UI that provided authentication and a dashboard that displayed critical student progress information.
- Created a data scraping process that captured student progress data from the Pearson MyLabsPlus website.
- Staff Physicist1991 - 2012L-3 Pulse Science
Technologies: Interactive Data Language (IDL), MCNP, High Performance Clusters
- Developed object-oriented software using IDL to analyze high-speed (~1 million frames/sec) x-cinematography data.
- Used Perl scripts to fully utilize a ~100 CPU cluster for MCNP calculations.
- Used MCNP to estimate the performance of an e-beam-driven neutron source with a subcritical neutron multiplier.
- Used MCNP to evaluate the efficacy of different gamma-ray and neutron probes for detecting special nuclear material in support of Homeland Security.
- Led an effort to use electronic cameras to record x-ray image data in lieu of a film.