Senior Staff Software Engineer2017 - PRESENTFireEye, Inc
Technologies: C++, Python, Windows, Linux, Mac, Visual Studio, GCC, XCode, CodeBlocks, CMake, Git, Conan
- Developed cross-platform (Windows/Linux/Mac), high performance, low latency distributed, endpoint security software. Development was performed in an Agile environment utilizing biweekly sprints in a Scrum process.
- Performed extensive peer code review for accuracy, completeness, and performance; as well as, mentored other junior and senior level programmers in order to increase capability of team.
- Ensured efficiency and performance of highly concurrent code through rigorous attention of algorithm selection, minimal locking, concurrent structures, cache locality, and code style.
- Adept at locating and rectifying insidious bugs and locating performance hot spots.
- Served as C/C++ expert of the company with regards to syntax, algorithms, and usage.
Distinguished Software Engineer/Vice-President2014 - 2016Finch Computing
Technologies: C++, Windows, Linux, Visual Studio, GCC, CodeBlocks, Eclipse, CMake, Git
- Developed a green field cross-platform(Windows/Linux), high performance, low latency distributed, unstructured big data analytics in memory enterprise database product in an Agile environment utilizing biweekly sprints in a Scrum process.
- Solely developed the JSON document ingestion system, compression & decompression system, and transactional logging file system for encapsulation of atomic group transactions.
- Created and implemented novel data compression/decompression methods for which U.S. Patent Number 9,025,892 has been granted. UTF-8 text compression rates of 80% and numerical rates of 50% have routinely been achieved and exceeded.
- Developed a highly concurrent indexing system with dynamic instantiation of templated index structures.
- Provided peer code reviews for accuracy, completeness, and performance.
- Mentored junior and senior level programmers in order to increase capability of team.
- Created the CMake build system for the project.
RF Master Engineer II2012 - 2014Orbital Sciences
Technologies: C++, RF, Excel, Word, Windows, Linux, Visual Studio, GCC, Matlab, FPGA, VBA
- Developed the C++ algorithm for communications systems modeling and automation of testing.
- Designed the RF communication systems utilizing detailed RF link budgets.
- Managed specification and procurement, and oversaw integration and testing for all the RF hardware necessary to create a complete communications system for GEO/LEO satellites.
Director of Embedded Systems/HW Engineering2008 - 2011Q.E.D. Inc. now CTI(Commonwealth Technology Incorporated)
Technologies: C++, RF, Visual Studio, Embedded ARM/AVR, Altium PCB Design, VBA
- Complete life cycle development of several defense related custom small SWaP(size, weight, and power) RF PCB’s including a S/W digital radio and several antenna tuning units in the HF to GPS frequency range.
- Designed and constructed electrically disadvantaged antennas under size and weight limits.
- Designed and prototyped a miniature software designed radio transceiver in the HF(2-20 MHz) band.
- Modeled, designed, and implemented antenna matching circuits in custom hardware for HF and GPS.
- Developed the C++ algorithm for communications systems modeling and design verification.
- Embedded hardware and software development on ARM and AVR microcontrollers.
- Developed DSP algorithm and processing of signals.
RF Scientist2007 - 2008Orbital Sciences
Technologies: C++, RF, Visual Studio, Excel, Word, VBA
- Designed RF communication systems utilizing detailed RF link budgets.
- Oversaw specification, procurement, integration, and testing for all the RF hardware necessary to create a complete communications system for LEO/GEO satellites.
- Developed C++ algorithm for communications systems modeling and automation of testing.
- Designed custom RF H/W.
Director of Engineering1997 - 2007Avtec Systems, Inc.
Technologies: C++, FPGA, PCB Design, Windows, Visual Studio, Drivers, RF, Perforce
- Led an engineering team responsible for the production and delivery of high rate communication and data processing systems earning several million dollars a year in company revenue (40% of the division).
- Oversaw all aspects of costing, scheduling, tasking, and manufacturing coordination both, in-house and with vendors, are controlled during the full product life cycle development process from the initial proposal preparation to the delivery of a viable commercial product to the customer.
- Delivered numerous custom FPGA-based high speed digital, analog, and RF boards for PCI- and cPCI- based systems, which utilized many modern design concepts, such as controlled impedance traces, matched trace lengths, proper decoupling, noise minimization, and low-loss dielectric materials.
- Verified RF communication systems utilizing detailed RF link budgets and EMI analysis; confirming the results of said systems and components with state-of-the-art test equipment and custom designed RF hardware. Systems included custom modulators, receivers, and a LEO tracking system.
- Developed the C++ algorithm for the simulation, modeling, and decoding of data communication channels, as well as object oriented cross platform, high performance, multi-threaded design for data processing and control of custom designed hardware.
- Implemented engineering team and manufacturing process changes to streamline production efficiency and increase profit by creating uniform base components, standardizing/automating repetitive testing, and promoting common hardware/code reuse across systems where possible.
Sr. RF Engineer1996 - 1997CFW Communications (now NTELOS Inc.)
Technologies: C++, VBA, Excel, MapInfo, Windows, Visual Studio
- Coordinated the site selection, installation, evaluation, and optimization of a PCS-1900 CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) wireless cellular system serving a large geographic region.
Sr. RF Project Engineer1991 - 1996Allied Signal Technical Services Corporation (now Honeywell)
Technologies: RF, C, PCB, Windows, Linux, Visual Studio, GCC, PSOS
- Served as the technical director of a 5-person team responsible for the design, procurement, assembly, and testing of a global Ku and C-Band satellite data/communications system for the bent pipe transfer of LEO satellite data.
- Designed PCB for digital communications.
- Created the C software for the scheduling and tracking of LEO satellites.