Senior Director of Engineering2016 - PRESENTShareThis
- Recruited, managed, and mentored engineers across the organization on application architecture, API (application programming interface) development, application security, and system design.
- Led a company-wide initiative to grow our programmatic advertising business by collaborating with sales and data science to develop an insights platform that showcases the depth and breadth of ShareThis data.
- Spearheaded a cost-reduction effort to measure, analyze, and reduce our AWS and GCP bills by over 30% (saving $1.5 million yearly) through changes to process, infrastructure, system design, and private pricing contracts.
- Prepared the company for GDPR (general data protection regulation) legislation and released a CMP (consent management provider) solution to assist publishers with consent management.
- Rebuilt the company’s core product, the Share Buttons. Expanded the company’s product offering for publishers from one to six to achieve feature parity with competitors. These products are ingesting billions of events daily from a publisher network consisting of millions of sites.
- Built an internal data management system enabling the company to pivot from a media business to a data business and grow data revenue from $0 to $30 million ARR (annual recurring revenue) in under three years. Organized our data into audiences and data feeds using real-time semantic search to mine our vast set of data.
Founder | CTO2012 - 2016Maestro
Technologies: Node.js, CoffeeScript, MongoDB, Firebase
- Raised $2.5 million in seed funding and grew the company to $1 million in annual recurring revenue.
- Developed a white-label video platform for companies to host live, interactive video broadcasts. Our clients included The GRAMMYs, Coachella, and Havas (one of the world’s largest media companies). The platform supported live broadcasts with real-time interactive features over WebSockets for over 120,000 concurrent users.
- Launched our first large-scale event for Ultra Music Festival and built and led Ultra’s first in-house engineering team.
- Streamlined desktop and mobile development allowing Ultra to expand from one to twelve events internationally.
Software Developer2008 - 2011Hulu
Technologies: Python, MySQL, Couchbase, CentOS, ActionScript, Flex
- Worked as one of two developers on the Hulu desktop project—launching a TV-based video experience before TVs had built-in applications.
- Designed and built a transcoding platform to manage and schedule petabytes of video data across our network; this was an optimization problem factoring network speed, disk read speed, CPU strength, file size, and content priority.
- Designed and built a CMS for managing Hulu's growing content library—this enabled the QA team to grow from three to over 20 people and work on content in multiple languages.