CEO2020 - PRESENTIncutype LLC
Technologies: Python 3, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, DigitalOcean API, AWS, LiDAR, Image Processing, Video Processing, 3D Modeling, GPU Computing, Applied Physics, Algorithms, Cryptocurrency APIs, Mobile App Development, Embedded Software, Xcode, iOS SDK, Pattern Recognition, Optics, Research, Embedded C, Metal, Core ML, AVFoundation, Core Data, Core Image, Concurrent Programming, Python, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Swift, PostgreSQL, Linux, Data Science, Keras, PyTorch, Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Supervised Machine Learning, OpenCV, TensorFlow
- Developed technological innovations in hardware and software product development through applied science and engineering research and development.
- Developed a physical sensor model in Python 3 for guiding the design of an application-specific LiDAR device for remote sensing man-made debris in marine environments.
- Developed and deployed a privately-hosted platform for back-testing and deploying cryptocurrency trading algorithms, using advanced decision-making based on ML inference and AI heuristics.
Independent Consultant2019 - 2019BFRDC, LLC
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), C, C++, PostgreSQL, AWS, Ruby, Python, iOS, Swift, Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Finance, Product Development, Algorithms, Image Processing, Applied Physics, Embedded Software, Embedded Linux, Xcode, iOS SDK, AWS S3, Pattern Recognition, Optics, Research, Machine Learning, Metal, Core ML, AVFoundation, Core Data, Core Image, Concurrent Programming, Video Processing, Linux, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Keras, PyTorch, Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks, Deep Learning, Supervised Machine Learning, OpenCV, TensorFlow
- Supported technological innovations in hardware and software product development through applied science and engineering research and development.
- Developed thermal image processing algorithms in Python 3, supporting predictive maintenance strategies on electrical power substation equipment.
- Performed software development for mobile, desktop, and web applications.
Chief Technology Officer2018 - 2019Fhetch
Technologies: PostgreSQL, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Core Data, iOS, Swift, Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurial Finance, Web Marketing, App Store Acceptance Process, UI Prototyping, UX Prototyping, UI Animation, Image Compression, Mobile App Development, Xcode, iOS SDK, AWS S3, Research, ActiveRecord, AVFoundation, Core Image, Concurrent Programming, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Developed a highly scalable platform for real-time requests and exchange of media content across mobile devices, using Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL.
- Developed a multithreaded Core Data stack for fault-tolerant and crash persistent background networking tasks. The user never needs to restart failed background tasks (e.g., message send failure).
- Developed an intuitive UI/UX for a simpler and cleaner photo-sharing experience.
Innovation Center Program Manager2016 - 2017Air Force Sustainment Center, US Air Force
Technologies: MATLAB, Python 3, ActiveRecord, Ruby, Entrepreneurship, Recruiting, STEM, Rapid Prototyping
- Developed a data-driven recruiting resource optimization algorithm that harvests open-source data repositories to focus government resources on the best universities to engage for recruiting new engineers.
- Led an Air Force Sustainment Center team to create an industry pilot partnership between Hill Air Force Base and Utah's Science and Technology Research Office.
- Worked to determine the best strategy and business model for standing up innovation centers to support agile integration of advanced manufacturing innovations into the Air Force Sustainment Center.
Owner2015 - 2017The Idea Cave, LLC
Technologies: Python 3, Image Processing, iOS, Linux, Bluetooth LE, Swift, C++, C, Lean Manufacturing, Lean Startups, Research, US Patent Process, Entrepreneurship, Video Processing, GPU Computing, Embedded Linux, Rapid Prototyping, Electrical Engineering, Embedded Software, iOS SDK, Xcode, Pattern Recognition, Optics, Embedded C, Machine Learning, Concurrent Programming, Python, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Neural Networks, Recurrent Neural Networks, Supervised Machine Learning, OpenCV, TensorFlow, Tesseract
- Developed an advanced driver-assistance device for iPhone users, employing patent-pending and proprietary machine-vision algorithms.
- Successfully drafted and prosecuted a utility patent application pro se (https://patents.google.com/patent/US9443426B1/en).
- Developed a custom OpenGL-based, real-time vision processing pipeline for the Raspberry Pi, embedded single-board computer.
Lead Process Engineer for Depot Maintenance, Ogden Air Logistical Complex2015 - 2016Air Force Sustainment Center, US Air Force
- Led multiple rapid improvement events to solve inter-organizational shortcomings in best engineering and business practices.
- Created a program management forecasting and tracking tool for monitoring multiple, independent parallel projects, consisting of identical and serial subtasks. It is currently used for monitoring contracts and human resourcing.
- Created a gated, process-tracking and reporting system for engineering managers using VBA for Excel.
- Created an automated reporting system for the management of engineers, technicians, and planners for non-conforming technical assistance requests, using smart card PKI authentication to the Oracle back-end database using VBA for Excel.
- Developed a custom workflow application for Sharepoint 2013.
Deputy Director, Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Engineering2013 - 2015ICBM Systems Directorate, Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, US Air Force
Technologies: Leadership, Technical Leadership, Electrical Engineering, Crisis Management
- Directed the ICBM Systems Engineering Office and four technical engineering operating locations supported by seventy civilians, 25 AD military personnel, and 100+ contractors.
- Exercised engineering authority over the Minuteman III weapon system.
- Handled more than $1 billion annually in acquisitions, sustainment, and test programs.
- Directed and managed resources to provide 24/7 engineering expertise for nuclear emergencies.
Special Assistant for HUMINT Support2011 - 2013Air Force Technical Applications Center with Duty Under DIA Directorate for Technical Collection
Technologies: Image Processing, Signal Processing, MATLAB, Firmware, C++, C, Ruby, Reverse Engineering, Embedded C, Leadership, Technical Leadership, Rapid Prototyping, Embedded Software, Research, Concurrent Programming, Data Science
- Conducted specialized, rapid reaction engineering, addressing multiple HUMINT technical collection capability gaps. Initiated an in-house developmental engineering program for rapid prototyping.
- Discovered clients, gathered requirements, developed concepts, engineered, demonstrated, and tested hardware and software for functional prototypes of multiple systems used for technical collection.
- Led an eight-person team in developing an infrasound generator, supporting long-range propagation studies. Scientific and technical contributions led to the Air Force Association Von Karman Award nomination.
Chief, Missiles Technical Collection Division2010 - 2011Air Force Technical Applications Center with Duty Under DIA Directorate for Technical Collection
Technologies: Image Processing, Signal Processing, MATLAB, C++, C, Leadership, Technical Leadership, Reverse Engineering, Research, Concurrent Programming, Data Science
- Supervised the work of five military and civilian engineers and scientists, addressing research, development, testing, and evaluation of missile technical collection capability gaps.
- Planned, directed, and executed highly classified, national-priority intelligence technology programs valued at more than $4.8 million.
- Built $1.7 million over-the-horizon threat-tracking capability with multinational cooperation, resulting in a 10x increase in the area of surveillance coverage.
Chief, High Power Microwave Computational Physics Section2009 - 2010Directed Energy Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, US Air Force
Technologies: Distributed Computing, Python, C++, C, Algorithms, Research, Leadership, Technical Leadership, Concurrent Programming
- Managed a team of 14 civilian scientists and ten supporting contractors responsible for modeling and simulating high-energy physics weapons for lethal and non-lethal military applications.
- Developed and maintained the physics code for virtual prototyping weapons with applications ranging from electronic warfare to non-lethal deterrence.
- Managed the integration of a $9 million modeling and simulation software development effort into a $300 million aircraft antenna optimization program.
Chief, Performance Analysis Branch2008 - 2009Airborne Laser System Program Office, Aeronautical Systems Center, US Air Force
Technologies: Finite Element Analysis (FEA), Java, MATLAB, Algorithms, Research, Leadership, Technical Leadership, Optics, Concurrent Programming
- Led a multidisciplinary team of 23 scientists and engineers chartered to perform mission-critical analyses for the Airborne Laser, supported by multi-tiered modeling and simulation capability.
- Directed $6.9 million/year corresponding to 47,805 person-hours of contracted support.
- Developed finite-element software model for estimating high-energy lasers total system power output, saving an estimated 160 person-hours per lasing test.
Chief, Technology Development Branch2007 - 2008Airborne Laser System Program Office, Aeronautical Systems Center, US Air Force
Technologies: Leadership, Technical Leadership, Program Management, Electrical Engineering, Supply Chain Management (SCM), Research, Optics
- Directed a multifaceted, long-term technology development program for inserting advanced capabilities into the Missile Defense Agency's next-generation production model Airborne Laser weapon system.
- Managed $40 million/year in high-risk technology development investments.
- Executed the Airborne Laser industrial base maintenance effort, ensuring a dependable supply chain for long-lead optical components.
Full-time PhD Student in Electrical Engineering2003 - 2007Air Force Institute of Technology
Technologies: Signal Processing, Image Processing, MATLAB, C++, C, Electrical Engineering, Optics, Algorithms, Research, Concurrent Programming
- Researched modeling, simulation, and estimation of optical turbulence.
- Wrote and published the covariance delineation theorem for computationally efficient optimization of simulators for random processes in n-space.
- Inducted into Eta Kappa Nu Electrical Engineering Honor Society for outstanding character and academic achievement. (https://hkn.ieee.org/hkn-chapters/all-chapters/delta-xi-chapter/).
Electro-optics Research Engineer2000 - 2003Sensors Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Air Force Materiel Command, US Air Force
Technologies: Image Processing, IDL, MATLAB, Leadership, Technical Leadership, Contract Management, Research, C, C++, Algorithms, Pattern Recognition, Optics, Concurrent Programming
- Conducted research on electro-optic, infrared, remote-sensing phenomenology for spatial-spectral detection and identification of concealed targets in urban, desert, and forested environments.
- Developed an innovative hyperspectral atmospheric compensation algorithm for high-altitude, remote sensing of concealed military targets.
- Participated as an active member of the Homeland Defense Explosives Detection Working Group, which controlled a $9 million research and development budget.
Full-time Master of Science Student in Electrical Engineering1998 - 2000Air Force Institute of Technology
Technologies: MATLAB, C++, C, Machine Learning, Pattern Recognition, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Algorithms, Research, Optics, Signal Processing, Concurrent Programming, Neural Networks, Supervised Machine Learning
- Researched statistical pattern recognition, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
- Developed a real-time object detection and classification algorithm, facilitating obstacle avoidance for autonomous vehicles.
- Developed a novel, real-time, global-image registration algorithm for real-time, autonomous vehicle control.
Optical Tracking Engineering1997 - 1998National Air Intelligence Center, Air Intelligence Agency, US Air Force
Technologies: Unix, Java, Analysis, Electrical Engineering, Optics, Algorithms
- Directed analysis and production of technical intelligence assessments on foreign optical tracking and surveillance facilities.
- Located, identified, and analyzed new tracking facilities and assessed foreign operational procedures and capabilities to identify and track US space assets.
- Tasked and monitored the technical efforts of external contractors and in-house personnel performing engineering analysis of data pertaining to foreign optical-tracking systems.