DevOps Engineer2015 - PRESENTVoyent, Inc.
Technologies: Terraform, Docker, AWS, Jenkins, Vault, Ansible, CI/CD, Consul, Packer, Atlantis, Kubernetes
- Migrated Jenkins into source control and made it fully immutable using various plugins and Groovy scripts to configure Jenkins and all of its jobs.
- Deployed and configured immutable instances and applications using Packer and Ansible; specifically sent AMI instances to multiple regions for disaster recovery.
- Secured the AWS environment and standards and helping the client achieve ISO 27001 certification.
- Leveraged an AWS EC2 container service and application load balancer to introduce microservice architecture.
- Secured the environment and deployments using Hashicorp Vault.
- Supported the EKS environment by upgrading the system and ensuring application health.
- Wrote a Bash script to run client applications on local Kubernetes cluster using Minikube on Ubuntu-based OS.
- Deployed Atlantis to manage Terraform changes through pull requests to increase visibility among the team.
- Helped a client deploy a Django app on ECS from scratch. Created VPC and EC2 instances on ECS and created some simple tooling to ease application deployment.
- Migrated all Terraform configurations to 0.12.x and re-organized the entire Terraform repository to ease future maintenance.
- Migrated all Python applications to Docker and leveraged multi-stage builds to decrease image sizes for more efficient deployments.
- Helped to implement automated testing to ensure that tests passed before the application was released to production.
- Wrote a script in Python 3 to rotate all user's access/secret keys in AWS running on AWS Lambda and Cloudwatch Events. The task would run daily and connect to a Google Spreadsheet and securely send new credentials via Onetimesecret.com and remove user's key's if they were older than 90 days.
Director of IT Infrastructure2012 - 2015Institute for Integrative Nutrition
Technologies: AWS, Rackspace, Ansible, Terraform, Datapipe, Linux, Windows
- Managed the cloud (AWS, Rackspace), a service provider (Datapipe), and internal infrastructure.
- Configured the back-end infrastructure with Ansible and EC2 instances running Node.js, MongoDB, and Nginx.
- Migrated all of the critical systems to a redundant architecture to provide stability and increased uptime.
- Supervised multiple AWS accounts using various services like EC2, RDS, S3, CloudFront, and Route 53.
- Oversaw all technological purchases of IT services/equipment operating within a $2 million budget and outlined policies for all of the equipment.
Senior Systems Engineer2011 - 2012TMP Worldwide
Technologies: Windows, MS SQL, CacheFly, Limelight
- Configured Windows clustering for SQL servers.
- Created load balancing virtual IPs (VIPs) for front-end web servers using Cisco CSS.
- Consolidated 50% of the infrastructure from physical hardware to virtual machines.
- Implemented CDNs (CacheFly, Limelight) to offset server load and reduce bottleneck issues.
- Managed over 200 servers/instances running on Windows Server and Ubuntu.
Systems Engineer2008 - 2011Worldnow (now Frankly, Inc.)
Technologies: Windows, Cisco, IronPort
- Managed over 200 servers in a co-located data center running various flavors of Windows.
- Consolidated physical servers to virtual machines using VMware ESXi.
- Wrote scripts to self-heal application web servers to limit overnight alert pages.
- Configured Limelight and Akamai to help deliver site content and to help deliver traffic spikes.
- Deployed applications for all teams.