Verified Expert in Engineering
Carl is a full-stack developer with five years of experience and an extensive understanding of all things computer science. As a passionate and focused individual, Carl is driven by goal setting and organization. Carl prides himself on developing software with a meaningful user experience that benefits their lives. With his love for technology and a joyful attitude towards learning something new, Carl joined Toptal to find projects where he can help to create something new and exciting.
MacOS, GitHub, ClickUp, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
The most amazing...
...thing I've had the pleasure of developing is Hova. It is an on-demand hospitality platform, where businesses can easily find staff with the right skills.
Senior Full-stack Developer | Project Manager
- Developed an on-demand platform for connecting hospitality staff with businesses; it works with iOS and Android and was built using modern frameworks and a horizontally scaled back end.
- Created an interactive way for kids to learn to read at a young age (Speech Spelling Pics Piano) and developed it for both iPad and tablets. It was built from the ground up to help children learn to read by breaking down English words.
- Turned paper-based systems and manual Excel processes into intuitive applications to reduce error and seamlessly collect crucial data.
- Built a variety of human-machine interfaces integrated within current systems, that allow businesses to improve productivity and reduce errors.
- Designed and developed a platform for connecting health service providers to clients that need services within the NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme).
- Assisted the development of this gig-guide cross-platform app for Android and iOS by refactoring most of the code, cleaning it up, and recreating the app in NativeScript. It's one of the top gig guides on the Gold Coast.
- Fixed various website bugs making sure the database and server calls returned the correct data.
- Performed data entry to keep the gig guide updated. This included making backups of a production database and using custom calls to mass populate the database with correct information.
Queensland Airports Limited
- Developed a model for passenger number predictions within a 1.6% error rate (an improvement from the ~10% error by hand). The model would predict 1-2 months ahead with very decent accuracy.
- Designed and implemented an automated system that would crunch numbers in the morning every day to eliminate human error. This calculated the real number of passengers that went through the airport with a 99.8% accuracy.
- Cleaned and organized large amounts of airline data as well as data that was unused within the airport.
Web Developer | Embedded Developer
- Worked with embedded systems and gained hands-on experience designing a database and creating an API server with CoAP (Node.js).
- Fixed bugs using a ticketing system for various clients. This was mainly HTML and PHP fixes along with some styling changes with CSS.
Hova App — Making Hospitality Shifts Quick and Easyhttps://hovaapp.com/
I worked as a full-stack developer for the project with a small team of four. I mostly developed the front end but worked closely with the back end to make sure things would integrate smoothly.
Speech Sound Pics (SSP) Piano Apphttps://www.speechsoundpics.com/
I was the lead developer for this project using React Native to bring it to life. Working closely with Miss Emma, who was on the other side of the world, I designed and developed the app to meet her needs. I also learned a lot about the English language—how it breaks down into graphemes and phonetics—and designed a system that the app uses to teach the right way.
Gig Guide for the Gold Coasthttp://gigl.com.au
Node.js, React, REST APIs, PyTorch, NumPy, OpenGL, Stripe, Stripe API, Facebook API
Git, GitHub, Xcode, Make, Figma, Android Studio, Jupyter, Babel
Agile Software Development, Functional Programming, Data Science
MacOS, Firebase, Unix, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Raspberry Pi, Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Jupyter Notebook, iOS, Android, WordPress, Linux
Cloud Firestore, MongoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL
Windows 10, MVP Design, Graphics, Optimization, Algorithms, Numerical Methods, Data Structures, Web Hosting, Server-side Rendering (SSR), Lottie, Machine Learning, Game Development, Distributed Systems, ClickUp, Graphs, Regression, Last Mile Fleet Solution (LMFS), Data Cleaning, Big Data, OpenGL Extension Wrangler (GLEW), Domain Models, Networks, Cordova, Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
React Native, Express.js, OAuth 2, Angular, NativeScript, Ionic, Next.js, Redux, Jest
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Griffith University - Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring