Data Warehouse Developer in Colombo, Sri Lanka
Vice President2016 - 2018Morgan Stanley, UK
Technologies: IBM DB2, Python, Tableau, Jira, SQL
- Served as a senior manager accountable for a data warehouse for the Stock Loan division of Business Resource Management. The data warehouse is used for data analytics and trend reporting across the division, delivering outputs used by traders, quantitative analysts, and finance groups.
- Managed a team of five with direct line management of two members based in New York.
- Project-managed the migration of a 3TB data warehouse from a legacy platform consisting of Sybase and Perl to a greenfield warehouse of IBM DB2 Blu and Python.
- Liaised with the Stock Loan Trading and Business Quantitative analysts.
- Designed a renovated data loading framework and the overall performance improvement of the DB2 plant.
- Designed and implemented Tableau dashboards to be used by global trading desks.
- Implemented best practices with regards to SQL development and Agile working.
- Designed and developed key functional projects such as a global rate opportunities reporting platform.
Business Intelligence Developer2011 - 2016UBS, UK
- Served as a senior BI developer and project manager of two data warehouse systems within the global financing services business. Competent in a variety of BI tools covering the complete technology stack from front to back. Led several key greenfield projects to report on profit and loss and client color to the trading and business management teams.
- Headed key ETL developments including dimensional modeling.
- Developed reports and dashboards using popular BI tools.
- Oversaw technical design and instigation of new technologies.
- Created data analytics for trading desks and requirements gathering, including business analysis, for new projects.
- Managed an off-shore team based in Singapore, and oversaw teams based in London and Pune.
- Involved in the initiation of a big data project with exposure to technologies such as Hive, Impala, and Spark, as well as the RFI/RFP process to select an external vendor.
- Database Load Framework (Other amazing things)
I developed a data warehouse load framework to address key concerns of any data warehouse with regards to the loading of data. This framework looks to address issues such as data lineage, data quality, portability to different platforms, and rerun-ability of data loads. The framework was designed to be implemented using Python in a modularized manner, in keeping with concepts of reusability, testability, and maintenance of code.
- Profit and Loss Diagnostics (Development)
I designed and developed, from scratch, a database to report on profit and loss of a business. However, one of the principles of the design was to bring in granular data and provide the mechanism to expose that to the end-user. As such, I provided an MS SSAS cube to the end users to access the data through dynamic Excel dashboards, whereby the end users were able to drill-down into their profit and loss numbers to get color that was previously unavailable to them. The back-end used for this project was Oracle with MS SSIS forming the ETL layer.
- Systems Testing for an Analytics Project (Other amazing things)
I developed a systems testing environment for an analytics project on top of TeamCity and MSBuild. The tool would destroy and create a database, run ETL scripts, deploy an MS SSAS cube, and run test cases off of the cube. Through this framework, we were able to test the full stack from table deployment to end user output.
- Three Principles of Data Warehouse Development (Publication)Data warehouses aren’t exactly a new concept, but industry demand for data science services, coupled with the rise of AI and machine learning, is making them more relevant than ever. In this post, Toptal Data Warehouse Developer Chamitha Wanaguru outlines three basic principles you need to keep in mind when developing a new data warehouse.
LanguagesSQL, Java, Python
StorageSQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Oracle DBMS, IBM DB2, SSAS Tabular
OtherMultidimensional Expressions (MDX), SAP BusinessObjects (BO), Agile Sprints, MicroStrategy
- Master of Science degree in Financial Systems Engineering2010 - 2011University College London - UK
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in Computer Science2006 - 2010University of York - UK