An expert-level engineer, Charles is comfortable in all aspects of back-end development, from web back-ends to database architecture to real-time trading systems development. Described by clients as "truly exceptional" and "one of the best," Charles brings the ability to not only understand client needs, but also the ability to then design and execute solutions for them with precision and excellence.
ExperienceLinux - 5 yearsC++ - 5 yearsHigh-frequency Trading (HFT) - 5 yearsPython - 4 yearsPostgreSQL - 4 yearsHaskell - 3 yearsFunctional Programming - 3 yearsEthereum - 1 year
Vim Text Editor, Git, Linux
The most amazing...
...thing I've built from scratch is a high-frequency trading system.
Freelance Senior Software Engineer
- Personally implemented significant portions of the API back-end for clients' core products.
- Organized and led a team of five engineers to meet milestones on time.
- Maintained, optimized, and extended the implementation of proprietary DSLs.
- Designed and implemented ETL architectures.
- Implemented a build farm which managed all builds and deployed Git branches in sandbox environments.
- Successfully optimized the back-end servers to meet performance targets.
Cooper Process Automation, LLC
- Worked with traders, developers, and managers to streamline workflows and improve outcomes for high-frequency trading strategies.
- Designed a product that encapsulates our solutions to common workflow problems.
- Conducted market research for other potential applications of this technology.
Chimera Securities, LLC
- Worked with a non-technical trader to implement new ideas and strategies in C++ with microsecond response time.
- Created a robust high-frequency trading platform from scratch with 99.5% up-time.
- Created a tick database and analysis framework in Python.
- Created a simulation and backtesting environment. The system was profitable from Month 1 with 90% winning days.
Beacon - A Decentralized Asset Exchange Protocolhttp://beaconexchange.io
Contributions to the Vyper Compilerhttps://github.com/ethereum/vyper
Low-latency Order Bookhttps://github.com/charles-cooper/itch-order-book
For a more detailed architecture description, please see https://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/3783/what-is-an-efficient-data-structure-to-model-order-book/32482#32482, and the description in the codebase itself.
EC2 Cluster for Distributed Computation
Functional Programming, Object-oriented Programming (OOP), Test-driven Development (TDD), Real-time Systems
Linux, Amazon EC2, Ethereum, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
High-frequency Trading (HFT)
DApps, Cryptocurrency, NixOS
Pandas, React, Node.js, NumPy, D3.js, jQuery
Vim Text Editor, Git, Terraform
Redshift, PostgreSQL, MySQL
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Mathematics and Linguistics
University of Washington - Seattle, WA