Verified Expert in Engineering
Charlie is a full-stack engineer with extensive back-end experience and a scientific background, having worked recently in medical technologies. He's proficient in cloud services such as AWS, in addition to Linux, Docker, and DevOps. Charlie possesses exemplary communication skills and excels at working with both technical and non-technical teams.
MacOS, Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Python, Node.js, React, Docker, Kubernetes, C++
The most amazing...
...project that I've built is a web-based medical simulation system that's been used to train physicians around the world.
Lead Software Developer
- Designed and built a web-based medical simulation system used to train physicians.
- Led the migration to continuous integration and development (CI/CD).
- Served as the primary architect for system design and server architecture.
- Acted as the lead for the medical simulation drug database and logic engine.
- Set best coding practices and created the design for multi-level unit testing.
- Collaborated with non-technical stakeholders to set the new product design and requirements.
Lead System Architect
- Served as the primary technical lead in the complete rebuild of a legacy medical simulator.
- Acted as the lead Linux guru and system architect for all systems.
- Launched worldwide servers and applications on AWS.
- Set development standards for code design and advanced unit testing.
- Independently launched multiple standalone simulator servers with developer training in Ethiopia.
Senior Software Architect
- Worked as an independent consultant and built numerous web-based applications for a large multinational with over 10,000 employees in 40 countries.
- Delivered a range of projects including custom content management systems and a clinical trial online survey system.
- Set up multiple servers and systems for hosting the web-based technologies.
Software Consultant and Developer
Multiple consulting clients
- Built process control graphical applications with object-oriented backends.
- Developed a graphical visualization library for complex process control systems.
- Constructed real-time graphical front end for silicon wafer manufacturing.
- Created a natural-language compiler for the front end of a preventative medicine product.
Web-based Medical Simulationshttps://live.medsims.com/medscape311
The medical simulations are international with versions in English, Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. Authored cases are reviewed by medical professionals with specially formatted outputs. User results are recorded into Google Analytics and analyzed for clients.
Our design was optimized for complex medical situations by defining dynamic fields in a relational database. This simplified the schema and minimized changes.
This medical simulation system has scaled tremendously and continues to assist in training physicians worldwide.
Migration to Continuous Integration and Development
Deploying a Create React App (CRA) to AWS S3 and CloudFronthttps://github.com/aiqui/cra-deploy-to-s3
AWS CloudFront can handle both static and dynamic content, but there are issues when deploying content from CRA. I built an open-source deployment system to deploy to S3 and CloudFront which uploaded only what has changed and sent invalidation requests to AWS.
Web App Deployment Management
Both the client and server-side programs were built in Python 3.6, using the AWS boto3 libraries. This was used daily by all development team members.
Google Analytics Stitcher and Combinerhttps://github.com/aiqui/ga-download
Preventative Medicine Questionnaire Enginehttps://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/business/1986/03/17/biomark-program-draws-high-tech-portraits-of-employes-health-risks/8c0ebf8f-c6b3-41ed-8e3f-5649cdaa5e3f/
Survey System for International HIV Projecthttps://github.com/getodk/central
Amazon CloudFront CDN, Google Analytics, GitLab CI/CD, Docker Compose, Create React App
Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Docker, Unix, Kubernetes
MySQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Amazon Aurora, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
Writing & Editing, OOP Designs, Unix/Linux Virtualization, Full-stack, Life Science, Medicine
Master's Degree in Marine Science
University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill - Chapel Hill, NC
Graduate Studies in Plant and Soil Science
University of Massachusetts - Amherst, MA
Bachelor's Degree in English
Brandeis University - Waltham MA
AWS Solutions Architect Associate
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring