Verified Expert in Engineering
Chirag is a senior software engineer with 17 years experience in the mobile application space working across Android, iOS, Flutter, and JavaME. Capable of leading and taking ownership of all development process elements from product inception to release. He has worked on applications for the biggest brands, including Nike, Reebok, BMW, Vue Cinemas, Zoopla, and Travelex.
Linux, MacOS, Android, Flutter, Dart, Java, Kotlin, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Firebase, Google Cloud
The most amazing...
...project I've developed is a game called Omnichess that allows the user to design and create their own chess variants. It is available on almost every platform.
Chief Technical Officer
- Designed and developed Omnichess' front-end clients using Flutter and released them on every platform Flutter supports. Released the game on Steam, which was the first game on Steam built with Flutter.
- Created and developed Omnichess' back end on AWS, which now runs autonomously, scaling up and down as required.
- Ran a marketing campaign across several channels, including Reddit, Facebook, and Google Ads, to promote the game. Created all video trailers and marketing images.
- Built the App Store server software development kit (SDK) package (https://pub.dev/packages/app_store_server_sdk) and the PayPal SDK package (https://pub.dev/packages/paypal_sdk).
Lead Android Engineer
- Acted as the solo Android developer for the Syft application, which connected job seekers in the hospitality and warehousing industries to employers.
- Worked with the product team to define new features for the application and with the back-end team to define REST APIs to support new features.
- Managed the London office IT infrastructure, including the network, internet, WIFI, and VOIP.
Senior Android Engineer
- Worked as part of a team to develop the new Travelex Supercard companion Android app. This was a short contract to develop the first release, which we achieved in less than six months as a team of three.
- Collaborated with UI/UX designers to create screen designs for the application.
- Defined application architecture with other developers.
Senior Android Engineer
- Added new features to the Nike Training Club Android application as part of a team of developers.
- Took ownership of a new feature that allowed training videos to be streamed to Google Chromecast devices.
- Worked on the content management system, which fed content into mobile applications.
Lead Android Engineer
- Led the Android team to develop the new Blinkbox Books app, which allowed users to purchase e-books and read them on their mobile or tablet devices.
- Created new screens for the application working with UI/UX designers.
Senior Mobile Engineer
- Led the development of the Android Simply Tap application, an m-commerce app that allowed users to buy products from one of the vendors.
- Created a mechanism by which it was possible to produce unique versions of the app branded for each vendor.
- Took over responsibility for maintaining the iOS application as well.
Senior Mobile Engineer
- Developed the Reebok Zigtech Android app, a game designed to promote the release of the Zigtech trainer.
- Created the Zoopla Android app, allowing users to search for properties for sale in the UK and see average price information for different areas.
- Built the Vue Cinemas Android app, which allows users to find cinemas, see film schedules, and download and watch trailers. Also created a server component to support both Android and iOS apps.
- Developed the BMW Approved Used Cars Android app, which allowed users to browse for used cars for sale in a given area.
- Created the Speedo Triathlete iPhone app that allows users to find information on recent and upcoming athletics events and get training tips for running, swimming, cycling, and information about Speedo products.
- Maintained some office IT infrastructure. Set up version control systems, company WIKI, and back-end servers to support our applications.
- Created SMS marketing campaigns for clients like Topman, Dior, and Liberty Mutual.
- Built a mobile website for Becks that allowed users to find the nearest gigs and concerts to any location in the UK.
- Assisted with the development of the Badoo JavaME client. This was a short-term contract.
- Implemented the photo management portion of the application.
- Contributed bug fixes to the open source SwingME project.
- Developed the first version of the Palringo Android application, one of the first chat applications released on Android.
- Interacted with the community to gain feedback and suggestions to help drive application improvements.
- Worked with Good Technology to assist the development of their enterprise email Android application.
- Developed several applications using JavaME, allowing users to bet on sports events and play casino-style games.
- Created a library that allowed the team to use Bitmap fonts in our applications.
- Worked on the provisioning system, allowing users to download the correct app version to their mobile devices.
Developed the entire application on my own. It uses Flutter for the front end, while the back-end is also written in Dart, allowing a large amount of code sharing.
Upon release, I created marketing images and videos to promote the app. I've made communities on Reddit, Facebook, and Discord where players can come together to discuss the game and suggest new features.
Syft | Indeed Flex Android Applicationhttps://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.syftapp.android
As the longest-serving developer on the team, I played a crucial role in many elements of the engineering function, including defining new features with products, defining new REST APIs with the back-end team, interviewing and hiring, and managing the office IT infrastructure.
Flutter, Android SDK
REST APIs, PayPal API, Java Servlets, Stripe
Android Studio, Jira, GitHub, Xcode, Android Jetpack, Photoshop CC, Subversion (SVN), Confluence, Adobe Premiere Pro, InDesign CC, Stripe Checkout, Zeplin
Mobile Development, REST, Unit Testing, Cross-platform, DevOps
Android, Mobile, Linux, MacOS, Java ME, Eclipse, AWS Lambda, Firebase, iOS, JBoss, Ubuntu, Web, Steam, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
JSON, Amazon DynamoDB, Google Cloud
Software Engineering, Algorithms, User Authentication, Push Notifications, Cross-platform App Development, Mobile Applications, Mobile Apps, APIs, Mobile APIs, API Integration, Development, Native Mobile Apps, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Mobile App Development, Web Development, IT Administration, Messaging, Full-stack, CI/CD Pipelines, User Experience (UX), User Interface (UI), Architecture, Software Architecture, Back-end, Full-stack Development, Web Applications, Computer Graphics, Networking, Social Media Marketing (SMM), 2D Games, Community Management, App Store Marketing, Chromecast, Google Ads, Google AdMob, Community, Gaming, Games, Video Games, CTO, Localization, WebSockets, System Administration, Single Sign-on (SSO), Websites, Leadership
Master in Science in Computer Science
Queen Mary University of London - London, UK
Sun Certified Developer for The Java 2 Platform
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform | Standard Edition 5.0
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring