Verified Expert in Engineering
Chris is a senior Linux engineer with a PhD in machine learning. He specializes in software and system development, automation, and DevOps with extensive open source experience—contributing to the Linux kernel, Gentoo, Ubuntu, and Debian. His achievements include being the architecture lead of a Linux distribution, completing a P2V data center migration, and working with startups to develop an Android predictive keyboard and smartwatch.
Git, Ubuntu, Debian, C, Python, Vim Text Editor, Linux
The most amazing...
...code I've ever written is a distributed robotics simulator which used genetic algorithms to evolve robots and neural networks.
Open Source Contributions
- Tested, diagnosed, and fixed several difficult bugs in the Linux kernel.
- Created a "forcepae" patch to run modern distribution kernels on legacy laptops for the Linux kernel.
- Wrote IR-USB driver (Linux).
- Am rated in the top 3% on the site Ask Ubuntu with over 230 answers contributed.
- Wrote the highest performing "Fasta" benchmark in Golang for The Computer Language Benchmarks Game.
- Diagnosed and provided fixes for many issues (Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian etc).
- Analyzed and fixed the infamous bug "Ubuntu Installer Bug Wipes Your Disk" (Ubuntu).
- Developed, integrated and managed the release of the whole platform.
- Created a virtual creature and neural network evolutionary system.
Founder | Senior Engineer
Travel Events Site Startup
- Developed a startup concept that combined event listings with travel information.
- Created a website (Python, Django, jQuery, Bootstrap, Ansible).
- Created and managed an automated sales platform for selling digital goods on eBay.
- Carried out the development, build, and deployment of the Android app.
- Developed the server-side code for analytics and problem resolution.
- Improved the prediction accuracy by implementing personal training from the user's Gmail.
- Decreased the app size by creating a dynamic language download system.
- Integrated Google Speech recognition.
- Implemented app analytics and the website (data, stats, graphs).
- Increased the new user installation success rate by redesigning it based on gathered metrics.
- Built and tested the new app and language pack releases.
- Deployed releases on Google Play.
- Fixed bugs and ensured device compatibility.
- Created a new visual interface based on an artist's concept.
- Developed a prototype smartwatch for the medical device field.
- Created a system to segment and compress time series data.
- Built and configured a bespoke Android AOSP.
- Ported real-time algorithms to the Energy Micro Gecko platform.
- Worked with various types of hardware: PandaBoard, APC Android Boards, and Raspberry Pi.
- Created an online system for person-to-person courier deliveries that solved the "customer not at home" problem.
- Created a concept and a developed mobile-first web site (Django and App Engine).
- Handled the Google Maps and PayPal IPN integration.
- Created and migrated the development to a continuous integration build-and-test system.
- Eliminated over 50% of the server estate by migrating a physical data center to VMware ESXi.
- Acted as a system administrator and backed up the VM servers running 80+ virtual machines.
- Created and launched a new product appliance, called Media Filter, as part of a small team.
- Developed and maintained Linux packages and automated system installers.
- Built a benchmark system to measure network throughput of the filter appliance.
- Optimized throughput by implementing multi-threading and asynchronous I/O.
- Packaged and maintained 10+ applications including the Xen and Linux kernel.
- Created LIRC—a based infrared remote control (IR-USB) driver for the 2.6 kernel.
- Diagnosed and fixed kernel and driver issues.
- Built and released ISO installer images.
- Installed, configured, and performance-tested bespoke Linux servers for clients.
- Created an embedded modem factory test system using Linux Asterisk PBX.
- Wrote an Asterisk driver for a soft modem with frequency resampling.
- Wrote an embedded device driver for a Vodafone Radio-Pad modem.
- Developed QA test processes and code for point-of-sale terminals.
- Ported a point-of-sale embedded platform code to new ASIC hardware.
- Discovered and characterized the ASIC bug.
- Created a server-side management web application using the Echo2 Java framework.
- Developed network problem diagnosis hardware using Linux and libpcap.
- Developed Windows graphical embedded firmware updater in Python and wxWindows.
- Created a secure Linux manufacture test system with GPG signatures for Chinese factories.
Distributed Evolutionary Robotics Simulatorhttps://goo.gl/lxSuyY
Video of Evolved Robotshttps://youtu.be/YpK5AoDQ-V4
Ubuntu Linux, Debian, Linux, Debian Linux, Ubuntu, Docker, Amazon EC2, Red Hat Linux, Android, CentOS, Fedora, Kernel, KVM, Xen, Eclipse, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google App Engine
Debugging, Research, LXC, SSH, Linux Kernel, Neural Networks, Gentoo, Debian Packaging, Robotics, Embedded Systems, Algorithms, PayPal, VMware ESXi, AOSP, Google Play Store
C, C++, Java, Python, PHP, Go, Bash
Buildbot, Git, KVM/Qemu, Jenkins, Ansible, Vim Text Editor, Subversion (SVN), GCC, AWS CloudFormation, Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC)
ZODB, MySQL, PostgreSQL
Bootstrap, Zend Framework, Dojo, Django
jQuery, Google Maps, Bottle.py, eBay API
PhD in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
University of Edinburgh - Edinburgh, UK
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
University of Edinburgh - Edinburgh, UK