Software Engineer, Ads Bidding Platform2017 - 2019
- Created a lightweight backup channel for a business-crucial service. By using estimated spend data during service restart, this removed a 45-second period of zero ad spend, saving $1.2 million per year.
- Improved build times on our core service by over 50% on average, including 80% reduction in p99 build times (twice the initial goal). Calculated time savings of 60 engineer-hours per week.
- Led an initiative that eliminated 60% of ignored on-call alerts, reducing total alert volume by 30%.
- Led an initiative to reduce our dependency on a flaky HDFS system, reducing service outages by approximately one per month.
Tech Lead, Analytics2016 - 2017Collabnet
- Managed a small team of engineers working on the analytics project. Set the technical roadmap for the team as we moved from initial planning to the sales stage.
- Built on top of an existing open source project to create a reliable, secure, flexible system that became the core of our product. Contributed core improvements and new integrations upstream.
- Introduced quality standards for the project (linting, style checking, unit testing, code reviews, automated build process).
Software Engineer, Productivity Engineering2013 - 2016Box
- Designed and implemented a command-line workflow abstraction tool that saved each engineer at the company 10 minutes per day. Calculated total savings of 60 engineer hours per week.
- Streamlined and automated the team’s release process, saving 6-8 engineer-hours per week on staging deployments alone, and allowing for near instantaneous production deployments.
- Implemented continuous integration and added a fully fleshed out suite of unit, integration, and functional tests, giving the team confidence in their ability to deploy high-quality code.