Verified Expert in Engineering
Chris is a highly motivated and resourceful IT leader and engineer with 23 years of high-impact experience in software and architecture design and leading development teams. He is a strong communicator, recognizing signs of failure and taking appropriate action to remedy it. Chris can seamlessly transition between various roles, from writing software to managing large-scale initiatives without friction, while adopting a strategic perspective based on your needs.
C#, SQL, TypeScript, Vue, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Agile, MongoDB, Single Sign-on (SSO), OAuth 2, .NET, Cloud, Data Architecture, Data Engineering, APIs, Data, Databases, Serverless, Solution Design
The most amazing...
...software I've built is a force-amplifying workflow tool that leveraged Azure OpenAI to partially complete tasks before they were assigned to a real person.
Developer | Development Manager
- Cleaned up a troublesome 20-year-old software suite consisting of two Classic ASP applications and five .NET 2.0 WinForms applications to bring reliability and resiliency to the business-critical software.
- Built a new software suite in .NET 6 with Azure Serverless with an Angular SPA front end to replace a troublesome legacy software suite while maintaining that legacy software.
- Made integrations with Datadog for performance analysis, as well as LogRocket for recording user sessions and conducting A/B testing. Used GraphQL and Swagger UI for our APIs.
- Made integrations with 3rd-party web services for address verification, commute times, flight data, hotel data, and more.
- Implemented Azure Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) that seamlessly integrates various systems across the operational division.
- Established processes and tooling around legacy systems, enabling the business to reliably make updates and respond to outages.
- Incorporated architecture changes into a new system, reducing the business's dependency on software development and enabling new clients and jobs to be executed without the need to code custom logic, thereby removing a bottleneck.
- Instituted the Scrum process for a new team, scaling it up from three developers to a robust team comprising seven developers, two QA engineers, an architect, and a scrum master.
- Established a QA operation initially with manual feature and regression testing, then implemented Selenium to automate regression testing with coverage growing broad first, then deep.
Director of Rapid App Development and Architecture
- Delivered an AI pilot project for the HealthOS ecosystem proving the project's technical viability.
- Established a cross-functional data-driven process incorporating expertise from multiple disciplines in an additive way, using data as the common language.
- Operationalized collaboration between ML experts, data scientists, and content experts to optimize the performance of ML models, improve NLP conversational quality, and increase productivity among team members.
- Put practices in place to tie engineering efforts back to business goals and objectives, increase the amount of value-adding work being done, and reduce waste across my teams.
- Provided management and technical oversight of architecture, machine learning, DevOps, cloud infrastructure, data science, product development, QA, full-stack development, and post-production support.
- Architected and designed pivotal systems within the HealthOS ecosystem and parts of the HealthOS platform itself.
- Integrated with IBM Watson, Elasticsearch, TensorFlow, Swagger, GraphQL, Okta SSO, Jira API, CSV and PDF scraping, and more.
Advisor | Architect | Manager
- Provided guidance on stabilizing the platform and making data the focus for the business's efforts to acquire investors. Also provided leadership to ensure the technical team stayed on track to deliver on the business's evolving strategic and tactical needs.
- Rearchitected data flows, persistent storage, reporting, and other data access operations that were becoming slow and unreliable.
- Reduced the size of the development team by half, increased development productivity, and reduced quality issues caused by poor collaboration between departments and lack of a disciplined process, achieving all of this within just one month.
- Handled hands-on integrations of various internal and external APIs for the purpose of optimizing the product's value proposition and delivering the strategic advantage the business requested.
- Implemented integrations with many of Okta's authentication services, including oAuth2, OIDC, two-factor authorization, SSO, etc.
- Developed example apps to demonstrate the use of particular technologies while building secure applications. Wrote blog articles explaining how to use those technologies to accomplish common development tasks.
- Implemented integrations with various popular APIs to illustrate examples of Okta's services in use, including Twilio API, Microsoft's Calendar Graph API, Jira API, Salesforce API, etc.
- Illustrated examples using technologies like AWS, Azure, C#, MongoDB, SQL Server, and Vue.
Architect | .NET Engineer
Blacc Spot Media
- Engineered a custom text messaging application that helped customers identify which windshield wiper they needed to purchase.
- Architected a full solution optimized for system response time involving Twilio text messaging APIs, data flows, Azure Functions, and CI/CD pipelines.
- Built environments and pipelines, establishing CI/CD processes for development, quality assurance (QA), staging, and production environments.
- Made integrations with Twilio API, webhooks, and Dynatrace.
- Architected a custom email marketing system similar in functionality to Mailchimp but tailored for dentists.
- Designed tolerations to support massive parallelization of SMTP operations, conducted experiments to optimize primarily for cost, logically prioritizing time-sensitive materials to get them delivered on time. Ultimately using AWS Lambda based on the result.
- Designed an SOA, leveraging a REST API, a SPA to administer the software suite, and a SPA for users to manage and execute email marketing campaigns. It creates work for the automation system and gives feedback and stats to know everything is working.
- Integrated with Splunk, GraphQL, LogRocket, and Twilio API.
Architect and Lead Developer
- Started as lead UX developer and advanced to team lead and architect.
- Coached other team members on process improvement, task completion, and technical challenges.
- Created a custom UI component out of a <div> that worked like email addresses in an email's "to" field.
- Developed software that extracted data from hundreds of thousands of PDF documents about insurance plans, then organized the extracted data to provide reports to business owners.
- Built .NET C# background services to run scraping jobs.
- Extracted data from PDFs, transformed in compliance with the client's data model, and loaded into the client's persistent storage.
Lead UX Developer
- Served as the lead UX developer responsible for creating a first-class Vue.js web application.
Intellicorp Records (Enterprise Client)
- Integrated near real-time virus scanning into a serverless Lambda on the AWS platform (according to our partner at AWS working on the technology), leveraging S3, SMS, and SQS to do so.
- Implemented integrations for the CyberSource silent order post-payment gateway, DocuSign electronic document signing (via a web portal and email), the creation of leads in Salesforce, and Kentico headless CMS.
- Drove the process improvement efforts associated with the development the team's agile transformation.
- Designed and built software and database schema to automate client registrations.
Issue Response Team Lead
AXS (Enterprise Client)
- Made integrations with multiple payment gateways, on-premise ticketing systems, headless CMSs, multiple software performance analytics platforms (to accommodate software running in different languages and OSs), internal company APIs, Atlassian APIs, etc.
- Acted as the last line of support for the company's production bugs in a nearly 1 billion dollar-a-year business.
- Built a new team that supported high-priority production issues with scope over the company's full product line. Established workflows for reporting, intake, execution of work, applying resolutions, quality assurance, and technical documentation.
- Provided technical expertise and insights to direct troubleshooting efforts and solution development.
- Applied Angular expertise to troubleshoot and solve complex UX problems in a handful of Angular websites.
Architect | Engineering Lead
University Hospitals (Enterprise Client)
- Implemented a Scrum development process with one-week iterations.
- Provided UI expertise with Angular and React to troubleshoot existing UI problems and build new user-friendly forms—revamping the user experience.
- Reduced the size of the data access layer by 50%.
- Consolidated multiple BL class libraries into a single reusable library.
- Introduced automated E2E testing to facilitate regression testing for each push to QA.
- Provided UX development with Angular and React as well as HTML5 and CSS.
- Increased productivity by 60.9% in six weeks and by over 100% in eight weeks.
Architect | Senior Process Control Engineer
- Architected a communications layer between the L2 and L3 systems, providing the centralized component through which all L3 systems understood the state of machines on the line.
- Ensured all L3 systems had the same understanding of the state of machinery on the line and that updates to these states were available right away, utilizing an in-memory distributed cache.
- Built a new L2/L3 communication service and client wrapper that handled all the communication to and from PLCs, using two-way RPCs over TCP/IP sockets with sub-millisecond read times.
- Interacted with machine operators to troubleshoot problems and develop new features.
Parts Source (Enterprise Client)
- Executed a test-driven approach that provided 100% code coverage with unit tests.
- Built new features into a WCF web application.
- Expanded the SOA with JSON web services.
Vitamix (Enterprise Client)
- Resolved source control conflicts going back several years in TFS and implemented a feature and bug branching strategy.
- Worked with internal customers to enhance and maintain the Sitecore and Znode CMS that drove a public-facing website.
Safeguard Properties (Enterprise Client)
- Designed and developed an enterprise-wide service bus built in .NET.
- Implemented a NoSQL layer between persistent data storage and the DAL and supported more than a dozen different programming languages running on three different operating systems.
- Worked with internal customers to maintain a C# web forms application—a work order system distributing work to thousands of contracted companies across the US and surrounding regions.
- Managed projects and customer relationships.
- Networked and consulted with clients; also searched for potential clients.
- Managed the facility and finances.
Coactive Systems, Inc.
- Created relational database designs.
- Managed the project and led a team of three.
- Worked on DOM scripting (before jQuery).
University Hospitals Telemedicinehttp://www.uhhospitals.org/secondopinion
Vitamix Hybrid CMS Websitehttps://www.vitamix.com/
Timken Steel Level 2 to 3 Interfacehttp://www.timkensteel.com/
AXS Software Platform
Multiplatform Service Bushttp://www.safeguardproperties.com/
Customer Self-service Portalhttps://www.partssource.com/
NoSQL Engine for Crypto Exchange Rates
.NET, .NET Core, ASP.NET MVC, Entity, Kendo UI, AngularJS, ASP.NET, Angular, Bootstrap, Vuetify, Redux, NUnit, Unity, Windows Communication Framework (WCF), Titanium, Classic ASP, Knockout (Knockout.js), OAuth 2, ASP
REST APIs, Web API, jQuery, Sockets, Salesforce API, Node.js, Vue, React, CyberSource, Google Calendar API, Vuex, Windows Forms (WinForms)
Git, TFS, Jira, GitHub, Amazon CloudWatch, NPM, Stylus, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), Webpack, Amazon Cognito, Visual Studio, Kentico, Flyway, TNet Strings, SendGrid, Windows Azure SDK, GitLab CI/CD, AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Visual SourceSafe, Subversion (SVN), IBM Watson, Confluence
Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), REST, Service-oriented Architecture (SOA), Agile, DevOps, Responsive Web Design (RWD), ETL, Unit Testing, Agile Product Management, Scrum, Kanban, Test-driven Development (TDD), Azure DevOps, Model View Controller (MVC), Microservices
AWS Lambda, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Azure, Docker, Kubernetes, Windows, Salesforce, Oracle, ZNode, Twilio, Arduino, Raspberry Pi
OLTP, Oracle SQL, JSON, PostgreSQL, Redis, Databases, Amazon DynamoDB, MySQL, Memcached, Couchbase, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Elasticsearch, Oracle PL/SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, PL/SQL, Azure Active Directory, NoSQL, Azure Cosmos DB, IBM Db2, MongoDB
User Interface (UI), User Experience (UX), Message Queues, APIs, HTTP REST, Messaging, SOAP, Full-stack, Front-end Development, Software Development, Architecture, SaaS, CI/CD Pipelines, Front-end, Cloud, CTO, Solution Architecture, Headless Software, Content Management Systems (CMS), Data Architecture, Data Engineering, Data, Data Scraping, Web Scraping, Integration, IT Project Management, Technical Project Management, API Integration, Technical Leadership, Solution Design, Serverless, Single-page Applications (SPA), AWS DevOps, Business Strategy, Startup Consulting, Networks, ChatGPT, OpenAI GPT-3 API, OpenAI GPT-4 API, DocuSign, Kepware Server (PLC Integration), Aurigma, DOM, Scripting, PDF Scraping, DocumentDB, Okta, Outlook, TCP/IP, UDP, Sitecore, PLC, RPC, Single Sign-on (SSO), Enterprise Service Bus (ESB), Azure Pipelines, WebSockets, Firmware, Natural Language Processing (NLP)