Verified Expert in Engineering
Chris is a seasoned developer with over 12 years of iOS development experience. He's been contracted at places such as Google, News Corp, Fox Sports, Westpac, Macquarie Bank, Assembly Payments, and MSN. Chris can also develop for the server side using Go, AWS, and Rust.
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Xcode, MacOS
The most amazing...
...experience I've had was working at Google on Coordinate Google Maps.
- Developed an app using innovative techniques for fostering literacy in children with learning challenges.
- Managed the AWS infrastructure using EC2, EB, S3, Cloudfront, RDS, and other products.
- Developed a Go API and back end.
- Administered to a PostgreSQL database.
- Created a Swift native iPad client app.
- Developed a prototype iPhone app for Assembly Payments.
- Implemented Bluetooth-pairing systems.
- Designed QR codes to streamline pairing processes and enhance security.
- Codeveloped many cryptographical systems.
- Implemented AES DUKPT cross-platform library used in many of our codebases.
- Developed Cochlear's "client remote" app which helps cochlear implant recipients control their hearing parameters and track their goals.
- Created the help screens for the Cochlear app.
- Worked on the Reactive framework implementation.
- Improved the Bluetooth connectivity subsystem.
- Collaborated with a prototype team tasked with researching React Native and other non-native solutions.
- Worked as part of a team developing Macquarie's new award-winning personal banking iOS app.
- Collaborated with the Chief Digital Officer to improve back-end performance with some new caching strategies.
- Iterated on our UX with the product and design teams to come up with a great app.
- Hosted general database admin training sessions for teams throughout the business.
- Refactored the app from a mostly Objective-C codebase to Swift.
- Developed CBA's primary iOS consumer banking app.
- Worked closely with the team leader to isolate build slowdowns.
- Developed animations framework to give the app engaging interactivity.
- Helped to lead discussions regarding the direction for PaintCode usage.
- Helped organize WWDC training sessions.
- Led the development of Dimmi's next-generation iPhone/iPad app. Dimmi is the market leader in online restaurant reservations in Australia, and as such desired to make an engaging app for consumers to really enjoy making their reservations with. The app has full features for restaurant searches, making reservations, and viewing and maintaining all of your user details.
- Determined the API endpoints with the back-end team.
- Conducted extensive UX prototyping to determine the best search interface.
- Solved bugs in a third-party menu library that we were using which had been causing crashes.
- Transitioned variable-sized iPhone screen layouts which were released during the project.
- Developed innovative UI frameworks for handling tabs in a scrolling sub-view controller.
- Worked within an iOS team—developing the next generation of iPad newspaper readers that is to be rolled out across all Australian News Corp newspapers.
- Participated in the innovation team, as part of the effort to in-source develop crucial applications and build robust long-term app platforms, while moving away from problematic legacy codebases.
- Created white-labeling scripts to generate multiple applications from single codebase for different newspapers.
- Enabled the enterprise open-source initiative with common code repositories which could be reused for multiple apps with systems; its aim was to integrate Xcode projects easily.
- Collaborated with the manager of innovation on ideas for iPhone apps.
- Developed an overhaul of their multi-brand platform for a range of native iPad apps for mortgage brokers.
- Hosted training presentations with the team.
- Collaborated with designers on new animations framework.
- Built white-labeling systems to create multiple apps for multiple brands from a common codebase.
- Worked with team leadership to help set standards.
- Developed an iPhone app designed to interact with a custom Arduino-based interactivity device, as well as communicate with a Node.js server. This was part of a prototype for filming for a major international design agency.
- Built an iPad-based enterprise ERP tool for shopping center management.
- Created an interface for zooming and interaction with SVG maps.
- Developed communication protocols between prototype IoT devices and iOS.
- Composed scripts for the ingestion and massaging of SVG data.
- Developed within a small team that was working on the Fox Sports NRL iPad app.
- Worked closely with the project manager to ensure that the delivery met the schedule.
- Collaborated with designers to ensure we had a beautiful-yet-usable user experience.
- Determined how to communicate with the back end.
- Built systems for a live-updating match center.
iOS Engineer (Contract)
- Worked as part of the iOS team for the Coordinate Google Maps project.
- Collaborated with the design team.
- Developed a state machine for integrating the interface with the back end.
- Built location-tracking subsystems.
- Worked with the US teams concerning the company's iOS policies and direction.
- Developed within a team that Nine's Jump-in interactive TV guide iPad app; due to my experience developing a TV guide before at FetchTV, I was primarily responsible for developing the TV guide grid view.
- Integrated web-based interfaces into our native app.
- Hosted training sessions for iOS development.
- Composed algorithms for ingesting TV guide data.
FetchTV | Digital5
- Developed the FetchTV native iPhone/iPad app team.
- Hosted brown-bag training sessions for teaching staff iOS development.
- Worked closely with the testing team to isolate problems.
- Built an OpenGL interface for set-top boxes.
- Created algorithms for a performant TV guide interface.
- Maintained travel industry web applications.
- Worked with team members using Subversion source control.
- Developed LINQ database queries in C#.
- Built an ASP.NET web app.
- Liaised with clients regarding development work.
- Developed and supported back-office systems to support the Woolworths EFTPOS switch.
- Supported financial settlements.
- Acted as the primary developer of a transaction dispute system.
- Led the development of a master terminal database system.
- Worked as the primary developer of a transactional research system.
Rural Press | Fairfax
- Oversaw the requirements definition and development of the business intelligence reports database. This database allowed accountants from around Australia, NZ, and the US to log-in, provide their cost center’s weekly and month-end figures, and generated weekly reports for the board of directors.
- Developed the database as a Ruby on Rails application in combination with a SQL 2000 back end, generating PDF reports directly from the web interface.
- Enabled the application to make use of AJAX while using the Prototype library to present a fluid interface to the users.
- Evaluated a legacy MS Access database and replaced it with a robust solution.
- Developed various databases (one for employee share plan and the other for human resources).
- Supported membership and billing databases for several major Australian trade unions.
- Maintained and administered Citrix servers.
- Developed custom reports using the Crystal Reports tool.
- Built custom database systems for customers including Caltex and IKEA.
- Managed a team of three developers.
Dimmi (Now Known as TheFork)
Commonwealth Bank App
Cochlear Nucleus Smarthttps://apps.apple.com/us/app/nucleus-smart/id1210236531
Fox League | Footy | Cricket
Core Bluetooth, Mithril.js, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails (RoR), ReactiveSwift
Xcode, Crystal Reports, Amazon EBS
iOS, MacOS, Arduino, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
iPad, iPhone, Bluetooth, Cryptography
PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server
Bachelor of Science (BSc) Degree with Honors (2nd Class) in Computer Science
University of Technology Sydney (UTS) - Sydney, Australia
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring