Verified Expert in Engineering
Full-stack Unity Developer
Chris is a full-stack Unity developer with 10+ years of experience developing for various platforms and genres. He combines a diverse skillset in art, design, mathematics, and coding to bring complex ideas from vision to reality. Chris is willing to embrace new challenging projects where he can partner with people who share his passion for game development.
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is a procedurally-generated open-world multiplayer adventure game featuring genetically accurate horses with natural age progression.
Freelance Game Developer and Technical Artist
- Developed a VR rowing game for the Meta Quest platform using Unity.
- Built an online multiplayer open-world game using Unity.
- Extended the Unity editor with custom functionality for artists, designers, and animators.
- Automated build processes for PC, Mac, and Linux platforms.
- Developed a generative character system that is highly expressive and highly performant on low-end systems.
- Authored custom, highly performant shaders in HLSL.
- Created highly sophisticated character rigging that combined traditional animation, procedural animation, and dynamic bone scaling.
- Optimized game performance by reducing draw calls and employing a custom level of detail control.
Senior Software Engineer
Saturn Systems Software Engineering
- Developed a scheduling app for a metal foundry that utilized the alloy type, supply chain data, and profitability to create optimum arrangements of casks and timing for crucible firings.
- Utilized continuous deployment and continuous integration to ensure client satisfaction and development efficiency.
- Developed a fractal-based heating-element design system for aerospace applications.
- Mentored junior developers and performed code reviews.
- Communicated directly with clients to establish software requirements.
Lead Software Developer
Lake Superior Consulting
- Developed software tools for CAD technicians and pipeline engineers.
- Established coding standards and the code review process.
- Developed mobile apps to connect field technicians with engineers.
- Conducted interviews for new developers and database administrators.
- Introduced Scrum and Agile methodologies to the team.
Game Machine Studios
- Developed software tools for artists and animators that significantly increased production efficiency.
- Created concept art for levels, characters, and props for several licensed intellectual properties.
- Prototyped game concepts for client acquisition and project planning.
- Established standards for poly-count and texture size to ensure optimum performance across various consoles.
- Developed diagnostic tools for 3D Studio Max that revealed corrupt mesh, transform, and animation data.
- Developed a modular character system for a WWE wrestling game.
- Created a custom animation data parser that saved hundreds of hours in development.
- Built character concept art and coordinated modeling and animation outsourcing.
- Created a custom user interface using animated matte paintings and highly detailed 3D models.
- Developed software tools for artists and animators.
- Created 3D architectural models and animations for residential and commercial development projects.
- Participated in daily standup meetings to receive feedback, eliminate impediments, and stay on track for efficient product deliveries.
- Used a proxy object system to manage scenes of enormous complexity.
- Researched new technologies for modeling, animation, and rendering.
Horse Isle 3http://horseisle3.com
My primary responsibility was creating the horse and player character systems. The horses are generated at run-time, allowing any breed of horse at any age to be represented in the game. Horse coats are also procedurally generated, making every horse unique and memorable. Characters are highly customizable and efficient. All clothing and accessories are combined into a single animated mesh to optimize performance.
Spirit Row can be played with controllers while seated or paired with a stationary rowing machine.
Monster High: 13 Wishes
Monster High Skultimate Roller Maze
Battle Chess: Game of Kings
Everyone who's ever had a knight take a pawn has seen that capture as more than one piece replacing another on the board. In players' minds, the bold knight, resplendent in his armor of silver or ebon, sallies forth and slays the foul foot-soldier. Combat, mortal combat, is the heart and soul of chess, but this aspect can only live in the mind's eye until now!
Lots of computer chess games capture the basics of chess. Only Battle Chess brings chess to life by combining a magnificent chess logic system with colorful, humorous, and dramatic three-dimensional animations.
HEX: Shards of Fate
WWE All Stars
UFC Undisputed 3
Barbie: Groom and Glam Pups
Unity, Unity3D, Unity2D, .NET
Git, Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop CC, Blender, ZBrush, Modo, 3D Studio Max, 3ds Max, Maya, Jira, Bitbucket, GIS, AutoCAD
Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, iOS
Art, Mathematics, 3D Math, Abstract Algebra, Software Engineering, 3D Animation, Game Development, 3D Modeling, Debugging, 3D Visualization, Algebra, 3D, Unity Shaders, Character Rigging, Character Design, Data Structures, Algorithms, 3D Character Animation, 3D Character Modeling, Mobile Games, Mobile Game Development, Geometry, Autodesk Maya, SAP, Virtual Reality (VR), 3D Art, Computer Graphics, Neural Networks, Computer Architecture
WebGL, AutoCAD API
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics and Computer Science
St. Cloud State University - Saint Cloud, Minnesota, USA
Maya Modules Professional Studies Certificate
Gnomon – School of Visual Effects, Games, and Animation
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring