Verified Expert in Engineering
CJ is a seasoned full-stack engineer with nine years of professional experience. Throughout his tenure, he's managed multiple teams and founded several companies. From the financial sector to the entertainment industry, CJ has created products that have gone into the hands of millions of satisfied customers. He excels at cultivating a positive work atmosphere, leading people, designing systems, and tackling problems. What sets CJ apart is his ability to get things done.
The most amazing...
...professional achievement of mine was building a successful software development business during the tough times of COVID-19 without ever missing payroll.
- Constructed and deployed an insight crowdsourcing platform that digitally connects target audiences to a client's brand, leveraging WhatsApp, social media, and AI. The platform is currently used by multiple telco companies and race event organizers.
- Built the entire framework using .NET, C#, and Azure with dozens of 3rd-party integrations, including payment gateways, ID verifications, location services, etc.
- Pioneered all technical operations focusing on compliance regulations and data security (ISO 27001, POPI, and GDPR) regarding the customer's personal data.
- Developed a solution to handle generic plug-and-play requirements and allow for customizable, single-tenanted solutions for institutional clients.
Founder and Developer
- Founded a boutique software development agency specializing in tailor-made software solutions for international clients. Managed a remote team of around 20 people across six countries. Grew the company by 100% year over year.
- Architected a robust logistics system for Raubex, South Africa's largest construction company. Built on .NET and hosted on Azure On-Premises, it still forms a core part of the company's operations.
- Served as the lead consultant on the Revio payment platform, Reviopay.com. A .NET platform hosted on AWS and integrated with 30+ payment providers and Customer.io. Consulted on the overall architecture and provided code reviews.
- Architected and led the web development of a new startup in the healthcare industry in Germany, Doctorly.de. Grew from 0 to 50,000 patients during my tenure.
Frontend Developer (React, Next.js) for a data analytics platform
ARCx Labs Pty Ltd
- Optimized a Next.js analytics web portal by eliminating duplicate API calls, implemented caching, optimizing queries. Reduced average page load time from 20s to 3s.
- Implemented a custom ORM solution to inject variables from the UI into Bigtable queries, to efficiently transact with a >400GB database.
- Implemented Storybook and unified all the components to create a one-stop environment for business and designer to validate development and track progress.
- Architected and led a team of developers to build a platform for South African freelancers to manage and send quotes and invoices. Created with React, TypeScript, .NET, and C# and hosted on AWS.
- Laid the groundwork for future product expansion, including internationalization, payment reconciliation, automatic transaction categorization, and integration into an insurance API—to allow free cover on invoices).
- Integrated into 22seven.com, enabling freelancers to access their business bank account to allow for light accounting—similar to Xero and QuickBooks.
- Architected a dynamic quiz solution across the system to enable a carbon scoring system based on users' daily habits and routines.
- Maintained the Angular and Python app with a team of three developers before rewriting it with .NET, C#, CosmosDB, and React and hosting on Azure.
- Created a white-label solution for companies to provide internal carbon scoring for their employees. Two of South Africa's most prominent firms, including Spar and Investec, use the solution.
Large CPG Company
- Worked for a top consumer food company and led the charting/graphing development on the internal UI systems for the sales and marketing teams using D3.js and other tools.
- Championed the move to update many front-end projects to modern alternatives without security vulnerabilities. Worked through 1,000+ packages to update projects up to a year old.
- Incorporated various standards and tools to provide a developer-friendly, industry-standard codebase and environment. Added the correct TypeScript checking, linting, code coverage tests, and standardization of code styles.
Lead Development Consultant
- Consulted on the BankTech API, an open banking API made with .NET, C#, and Azure. Worked on banking integrations which had to process over five million debit order transactions in one billing run while still using a legacy "flat-file" system.
- Developed an automated messaging system utilizing WhatsApp for businesses to allow customers of major banks and insurance companies in South Africa to manage their debit orders easily.
Co-founder and Lead Developer
- Co-founded In-House, a startup based in New York that strives to anonymously rate a business on its ESG scores. Built on .NET and React by a team of developers from around the world.
- Took over an old and defunct system and repurposed it to align with our requirements and modern standards. Introduced many features, including CI, testing, code-first database generation, migrations, etc.
- Designed, documented, implemented, and shared the technical roadmap up to release.
Senior Web Developer
- Led the web development for 22seven, a personal budgeting and finance insights application aggregating a user's personal finance. The company integrates with over 100 banks and financial institutions and has a user base of more than 300,000.
- Improved the aggregate service, where only the latest information was routinely received from the server, like a user's latest bank transactions, and merged with the client-side data.
- Headed the prototyping of all the new features used by all the platforms—Android, iOS, and web.
- Pioneered the migration from Angular to React. It was done in an iterative manner, where Angular components were replaced by React components, one by one.
Senior Software Developer
- Contributed to various back-end solutions that provided content to the apps of South Africa's largest insurance companies—Liberty and Old Mutual. Created on a proprietary UI builder built in .NET and C#.
- Introduced, developed, and maintained a centralized web console that managed the company's internal systems used by the support personnel, developers, and managers.
- Implemented the Old Mutual Wine Awards app, a solution where all the users get notified of the winners of the annual wine awards.
- Created a factory standby and log sheet capturing application used by 1,000+ standby workers and managers of the chemical plants.
- Developed a dynamic charting web application to represent millions of real-time data points in the plants.
- Created a near-hit web application that replaced the paper system where 100+ incidents needed to be processed by hand per week.
- Developed an automated tool that moved 20+ years of confidential Labware data from Lotus Notes, MS Access, and Excel to a centralized SQL Server database integrated into SharePoint.
Old Mutual Wine Show App
.NET, Express.js, Redux, Tailwind CSS, Next.js, .NET Core, ASP.NET, React Native, Flask, Jest, MUI (Material UI), Angular, Cypress
React, Vue, Node.js, REST APIs, jQuery, D3.js, TensorFlow, AWS Amplify
Functional Programming, Management, API Architecture, Web Architecture, REST, Agile Software Development, Test-driven Development (TDD), Azure DevOps, Continuous Delivery (CD), Continuous Integration (CI), Data Science, Responsive Layout, Agile, UX Design, UI Design, Jamstack, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Automated Testing
Windows, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Heroku, Netlify, Linux, Azure, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Firebase, MacOS, Blockchain, AWS Lambda, Shopify, Contentful
MongoDB, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, SQLite, NoSQL, Amazon DynamoDB, BigTable
Data Visualization, Web Development, Full-stack, Freelancing, Gatsby, User Experience (UX), Architecture, Front-end Development, APIs, API Design, Technical Architecture, Full-stack Development, Front-end, Software Development Management, Remote Team Leadership, Front-end Architecture, Product Management, Apollo, User Interface (UI), Progressive Web Applications (PWA), CI/CD Pipelines, Online Banking, Consumer Insights, eCommerce, eCommerce UI, Mobile App Development, Low Code, WebSockets, Single Sign-on (SSO), Storybook, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Styled-components, Design, Lunacy, Machine Learning, Web Accessibility, Team Leadership, Data Scraping, Software Architecture, Technical Leadership, Verification, Maps, Payment APIs, Chatbots, Astro, Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES), HubSpot CRM, OAuth, Finance
Webpack, Git, Figma, Jira, GitHub, Auth0, TFS, Jenkins
Nanodegree in Self Driving Car
Udacity - Remote
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science and Mathematics
North West University - Potchefstroom, South Africa
Freshman Program in Science
McGill University - Montreal, Canada