Verified Expert in Engineering
Cliff is a database developer with over a decade of experience in various roles within IT, from hardware support to management. He has led multiple teams, refactored poor-performing systems, and designed systems from scratch. Cliff excels with SQL, Oracle, Bash, Linux, and data warehouse design.
Windows, Linux, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL, Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing
The most amazing...
...project I've contributed to was the refactoring of an inventory publishing process and taking it from running in eight hours to just minutes.
Systems Management Director
- Joined the company when the source control was scattered across each developer's personal Bitbucket account. Created a central team Bitbucket and got all code moved to this new team workspace.
- Implemented Jira and Jira Service Manager to organize the teams better, significantly improving communication. Previously, the development team received all requests via phone, email, text, or direct message.
- Used Confluence as a repository and began documenting the Classic ASP data loads and an updated system to ensure rules between the two were matched before implementation. The company had older software and no documentation.
Software Engineer III
Elixir Rx Solutions
- Improved the efficiency of the data loading process for calculating deductible and out-of-pocket balances.
- Integrated a new rules tracking system (Decisions.com rules engine) to determine eligibility.
- Refactored the eligibility process to improve visibility into what was being received.
- Redesigned an inefficient system entirely, which shortened a multi-day running government process so that it would run in just a few hours.
- Mentored junior developers on database best practices and how to review queries for performance improvements.
- Worked within an architect team, documented, and educated staff on the best practices through lunch-and-learn sessions.
- Maintained and created ETL processes for loading a variety of data formats.
Data Warehouse Software Engineer
- Rebuilt an inventory publishing process with a team of three others to go from 6–8 hours to process inventory to less than 15 minutes.
- Built the company's first data warehouse from design to ETL processes.
- Launched a data analysis intelligence system building data marts off the data warehouse for multiple customers.
- Completed various database and website tasks as assigned from external members' sites to internal tools (task tracking and a billing system).
The warehouse is fed data from an OLTP system, CSV files, and a proprietary format for the parts catalog.
The warehouse was built within six months with a team of four. The team was responsible for geographic hierarchy, customer dimensions, and some of the reporting.
Jira, DbSchema, Microsoft Word, Visio, Git, Microsoft Excel, Confluence, Bitbucket, Microsoft Access, Jenkins, TFS, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Visual SourceSafe, MongoDB Atlas
Database Design, ETL, Dimensional Modeling, Database Development, Oracle Database Architecture, Azure DevOps
Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Architecture, Data Validation, SQL Stored Procedures, Database Architecture, Relational Databases, Databases, MySQL, Oracle 11g, PL/SQL Developer, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server DBA, Database Performance, PostgreSQL
Data Warehouse Design, Data Warehousing, Documentation, Leadership, Source Code Review, Data Engineering, Data Architecture, Data Modeling, Code Review, Star Schema, Data Management, Relational Database Design, Relational Data Mapping, Data Extraction, CSV, CSV Export, PL/SQL Tuning, ETL Tools, Analysis, Web Project Management, Quality Assurance (QA), Data Analysis, Data, QA Testing, BizTalk, Data Visualization
Linux, Oracle, Windows