Java Developer in Carrollton, TX, United States
Freelance Software Developer2018 - PRESENTClients (via Toptal)
Technologies: Android, React Native
- Augmented a React Native video plugin to add streaming capabilities.
- Supported an OpenText Media Manager instance and designed an upgrade.
- Created an Android NDK module to process video more efficiently.
- Worked on a portfolio app using React Native, Navigation, and Redux.
Director of Software Development2018 - PRESENTSnowfall Technologies
- Created an automated testing framework to pick and pack.
- Wrote reports that extracted and presented from the database.
- Led the team, organized projects, and merged and deployed code on a nightly basis.
- Pulled from and pushed data to many third-party systems.
Lead Developer2007 - PRESENTAxelby
Technologies: Android, Java, Kotlin, C#, VBScript, SQL Server
- Created Podax since 2011, a podcast player for Android. It's no longer published but it has all the latest native Android technologies, such as RxAndroid, Kotlin, and Architecture Components. Also used lower level constructs like Binder and content providers. The source can be found at https://www.bitbucket.org/thasmin/podax/branch/v8.
- Created a website using Python, Flask, and SQLAlchemy to keep track of concert dates and album releases for favorite musicians.
- Wrote an app with React Native that browses the iTunes top podcasts lists and retrieves episode information.
- Migrated SQL Server data from an old schema to a new schema. Developed view and stored procedures to allow legacy systems to interface with a new schema.
- Worked with owners and project managers to ensure that projects met business goals and budgets. Completed projects on time and on budget with 100% satisfaction rate.
- Built a dynamic flow chart on a web page using C# and System.Drawing.
- Created a very basic CRM system that imports contacts, keeps notes, and reminds you to call or email them. The code can be found at GitHub.com/thasmin/ElementaryCRM.
COO2013 - 2017Cedar Oil Solutions
Technologies: PHP, WordPress, WooCommerce
- Developed and optimized an eCommerce platform based on WordPress and WooCommerce. Integrated orders and workflows into the business ecosystem.
- Implemented DevOps and optimized the performance of a PHP and MySQL application running on multiple Linux servers.
- Worked with other managers to ensure that the website enabled the company's goals at all times.
- Performed R&D on chemical and mechanical products.
- Developed the strategy and determined the best pricing.
- Built new workflows for receiving orders and warehouse processing.
- Converted WooCommerce store to Shopify store.
Head of Product Development2008 - 2013Teralogics
- Created a website for ingesting and playing videos using FFmpeg and Drupal. Built custom video metadata extractors using FFmpeg and C.
- Led the software development team of ten people and then moved to lead the operations team. Worked with project and contract managers to ensure that projects met both contract requirements and business goals.
- Ensured maximal product uptime so that soldiers were able to rely on a system—minimized the downtime for patches.
- Worked in a secure environment with minimal access to the internet.
- Created Python scripts to ensure that critical services were running and properly processing data.
- Built a spatial map of the current drone locations using metadata from a video.
- Became an internal expert on DoD security guidelines (STIGs).
- Created and maintained shell scripts to create ready-to-go virtual machines (before Docker).
Software Developer2007 - 2007Consolidated Safety Services
Technologies: ASP, ColdFusion
- Modified a legacy ColdFusion website.
- Created an ASP website for document storage.
Software Developer2005 - 2007Trimble Navigation
Technologies: C#, SQL Server, C++
- Created a web-based map of concrete truck locations (before Google Maps).
- Provided real-time routing directions to concrete truck drivers (before Google Maps).
- Rewrote a Windows application from C++ to C++/CLI so it can share code and developers concerning a web product.
- Built stored procedures to store and retrieve data in proper formats.
- Designed an XSLT-based state machine.
Software Developer2004 - 2005SAIC
Technologies: C++, OpenGL
- Developed a 2D map of airports and airplane locations.
- Parsed complex data formats to retrieve airplane locations.
- Designed a coordinate system that accounted for the curvature of the Earth and allowed multiple airports to be shown on the same map.
- Reduced the compile time from one hour to ten minutes by implementing a DLL-based library system.
- Became a local expert on Perforce source control.
Software Developer2002 - 2003ICS Multimedia
Technologies: Flash, ASP, SQL Server
- Created Flash-based learning modules based on designs from in-house experts.
- Worked on a website to authenticate students and track their progress.
- Podax (Development)
A full-featured podcast player for Android that I created in my spare time. It was popular around 2014 in the open source community. I stopped publishing it when the maintenance needs took up more of my free time but the development continued.
Currently, it has all the latest Android technologies including architecture components and is written 100% in Kotlin.
- ElementaryCRM (Development)https://github.com/thasmin/ElementaryCRM
A very simple CRM that imports contacts, keeps notes, and reminds you to call them.
- iTunes Podcast Toplist Browser (Development)https://github.com/thasmin/ToplistBrowser
A simple app that grabs the top podcasts from iTunes, then shows you the description and episodes from the RSS feed when you touch it. It was made with React Native.
FrameworksDjango, React Native, ASP
Libraries/APIsjQuery, React, Vue.js 2, OpenGL
ToolsAndroid Studio, Vim Text Editor, Flutter SDK
ParadigmsAgile, Unit Testing, Functional Programming
PlatformsAndroid, WooCommerce, Linux, WordPress
OtherDocumentation, Android Emulators, Writing, Automated UI Testing
StoragePostgreSQL, MySQL, SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in General Business Administration2005 - 2008George Mason University - Fairfax, VA, USA
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science1998 - 2002University of Maryland, College Park - College Park, MD, USA