Software Engineer2020 - PRESENTDatakin
Technologies: Apache Airflow, Microservices, Open Source, Dropwizard, OpenLineage, Python, Java
- Participated in the open-source development of the Marquez and Open Lineage project. Extended Marquez to provide additional operators for the Apache Airflow data pipeline tool.
- Assisted in developing the OpenLineage specification for widespread adoption in data pipeline tools. Assisted with dataset versioning, run versioning, and job versioning concepts for data pipeline management aspects.
- Applied data modeling expertise to provide scalable solutions for the database layer. Developed PostgreSQL table partition implementations for time series data.
Senior Software Engineer2018 - 2020Datastax
Technologies: Cassandra, NoSQL, Java
- Worked as a software engineer under DataStax's Chief Technologist to develop a new kind of data platform on top of the Cassandra database stack that would enable enterprises to quickly operationalize their data.
- Developed a query optimizer on NoSQL databases to find minimal query plans given the schema, workload, and constraints; enabled the optimizer to receive inputs from the user about advanced data features to allow decisions beyond conventional optimizers.
- Functioned as the sole back-end engineer for the SaaS platform until the team grew.
- Developed several pieces of core functionality individually and with a small team.
- Planned engineering work and delegated responsibilities.
Principal Software Engineer2015 - 2018Oracle
Technologies: Clustering, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning, Microservices, Java
- Worked as a full-stack software engineer for a big data analytics team. Developed new strategies for resolving data analytic queries faster. Created data pipelines for new data to enable Customer 360 applications.
- Built applications for natural language processing, high dimensional clustering algorithms, search, and analytics. Assisted in the development of a novel distributed database to apply machine learning at scale.
- Developed data visualization, microservice interaction tracing, and in-memory analytics to create actionable insights for developers and BI teams.
Software Engineer2014 - 2015Mesoscale Discovery
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), AWS, Biotech, Java
- Developed cloud-based laboratory management software for the biodefense, clinical, and life-science markets.
- Implemented data-driven procedures for automated reagent dispensing systems and codified validated protocols for micro-plate test kits.
- Developed highly tested and documented software consistent with FDA regulated software systems.
Graduate Assistant2011 - 2013Frostbug State University
Technologies: Java, Education
- Assisted in teaching and held labs for the computer science department. Lectured, developed course material, and mentored students.
- Led students in computer science-related extracurricular activities, including computer security competitions, recruitment efforts, and other department software projects.
- Administered the computer science GRE subject test.
Applications Engineer2010 - 2011Micropact
Technologies: Apache Velocity, Spring, Java
- Developed flagship java business process management software for the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in a proprietary Java J2EE framework.
- Worked on-site for the IRS to collect business requirements and independently developed several small Java projects.
- Held public trust and secret security clearances for DOJ and IRS.
Web Developer2008 - 2010Concept C Marketing & Design
Technologies: WordPress, PHP, Java, Foundation CSS
- Constructed a WordPress website for a hair salon to highlight their products and provide location-aware pricing; building the site WordPress allowed the owner to implement changes.
- Developed a website for a mall to provide a directory of stores and highlight winter promotions.
- Worked closely with designers to assure that designs could be quickly created.