Senior Engineer2021 - PRESENTGrata
Technologies: Python, Containers, Docker, Elasticsearch, Pelias, Pytest, Kubernetes, CI/CD Pipelines, GIS
- Built an internal API to extract and geolocate addresses from web pages.
- Worked remotely within a large, established team of 20+ developers, collaborating via Jira, GitHub, and Slack.
- Mentored and onboarded a junior developer via code review, pair programming, and general advice.
Geospatial Developer2018 - 2019Telecommunications Industry Client
Technologies: PostGIS, Django, PostgreSQL, Geospatial Data, GIS, Angular, LiDAR, Open Data, Databases, Pytest
- Built a tool to plan antenna locations for telecoms.
- Combined aerial imaging with government and open data to generate special-purpose maps.
Machine Learning Developer2017 - 2017Freelance Work (Independent Contract Work)
Technologies: Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning, Text Generation, SpaCy, Elasticsearch, Scikit-learn, NumPy, APIs, Pandas
- Built a natural language processing (NLP) system to match free-form text queries to appropriate product offers.
- Created a search tool using Elasticsearch, integrated with NLP tools.
- Developed an API to enable integration with other systems.
Lead Developer2015 - 2017OpenOil
- Built a database of corporate filings from the energy and mining industries. My full-stack responsibility: web front end and back end, data engineering and ETL, DB administration, and DevOps.
- Supported the financial modeling through data provision.
- Created data visualizations combining financial, geographical, and qualitative data.
- Implemented a data analysis using Linux Shell tools.
Developer | Data Engineer2006 - 2017Freelance Work (Independent Contract Work)
- Used natural language processing to extract treatment histories from medical correspondence.
- Implemented automatic clustering of Russian-language news articles for an academic research project.
- Led the development of an online film distribution platform and scaled it to handle 500+ requests per second.
- Administered to servers for web and data-analysis workflows, including Docker and up to 40 servers.
- Rewrote python code as PHP, and maintained PHP code for web services and data scraping.
- Devops and system administration of linux servers.
- Full-stack development of a social media aggregation website.
- Image processing for a financial-industry client.
- Wrote content including technical documentation, website copy, articles on cultural issues, French-English translations.
Developer2013 - 2014Organized Crime and Corruption Reporting Project
Technologies: CSS, Google App Engine, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Django, HTML, Python, Project Management
- Helped a world-class team of investigative journalists to use technology in their work, such as data analysis, data journalism, security, and training.
- Researched several stories with substantial international impact.
- Acted as the project manager and lead developer for a research service for investigative journalists.
- Built a Django website rapidly for an extensive leaked database.
Senior Developer2011 - 2012Zugo Services
- Data engineering, using a MapReduce system to collect and process terabytes of data.
- Scaled a data ingestion pipeline (MongoDB, Nginx) to handle write loads of 1,000+ requests per second.
- Used statistics and machine learning to generate insight from big data and to forecast customer behavior.
- Responsible for reliability of a system with over 1 million users.
- Worked on a browser extension.
- Worked in an agile team, using Agile/Scrum, test-driven development, code review.