Principal Platform Engineer2018 - 2019Ripple
Technologies: SaltStack, Vault, Consul, Nomad, Envoy Proxy, GitLab, Docker, Terraform, Python, Go
- Developed a second-generation SaaS payments platform in service of a growing customer base; included scaling infrastructure, processes, and people.
- Automated deployments to empower customer support and improve software release times by leveraging service mesh and orchestration technologies.
- Enabled multi-region failover-and-disaster recovery (DR) by creating a dynamic traffic management system.
Lead Platform Engineer2016 - 2018Ripple
Technologies: Amazon Web Services (AWS), Elasticsearch, Prometheus, HAProxy, NGINX, Vault, Consul, Terraform, SaltStack, Go, Python
- Led the transformation effort of Ripple’s products from enterprise on-premise to cloud-based SaaS applications to increase customer ROI and reliability.
- Improved the SRE team's efficiency with infrastructure visibility and reduced toil with centralized logging, monitoring, intrusion detection, and automated certificate rotation.
- Set the technical direction for a SaaS platform and applications that included technology selection, application development guidelines, and on-call playbooks and training for development teams.
Technologist2015 - 2016Freelance
Technologies: CSS3, HTML5, jQuery, OpenLayers, MariaDB, NGINX, Django, Postfix, Ansible, Fastlane, Jenkins, Python
- Led the engineering team to deliver wearable IoT apps (Android and iOS) for Hewlett-Packard working with Kunai Consulting.
- Created the build infrastructure for completely automated application builds for Android and iOS.
- Served as the technical advisor for NewGen Venture Partners, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm.
- Volunteered for EFF and worked on a project to secure email traffic between servers.
- Built a personal event website to publish updates, send bulk email, upload images and give attendees password-less logins.
Site Reliability Engineer2014 - 2015
Technologies: Google Cloud Datastore, Google App Engine, BigTable, Borg
- Designed a new configuration architecture for App Engine clusters worldwide to ease scaling and maintenance.
- Supported Google Cloud Datastore releases and incidents within the 99.95% uptime SLA.
- Refactored legacy service automation (pre-Borg) to assist with its replacement and eventual decommission.
Systems Engineer2011 - 2014
Technologies: Google Maps API, HTML5, Google App Engine, BigQuery, BigTable, Borg, Python
- Built production clusters for testing new hardware to reduce manufacturing costs by making “go/no-go” decisions earlier, reducing costs on a yearly basis by $10+ million.
- Automated assembly line testing to improve manufacturing yields and allow hardware engineers to easily develop manufacturing tests which reduced yearly costs and prevented major manufacturing deadline slips.
- Developed a map-based tool to explore laboratory usage across a department of more than 500 engineers and produce reports for leadership.
- Created a full-spectrum monitoring-and-alerting service to enable incident response for facility, cluster, and network events.
Linux System Administrator2009 - 2011
Technologies: Pexpect, Scrapy, MapReduce, Django, MySQL, C, Python
- Scaled a Google campus laboratory network to empower hardware teams across the company while reducing overhead costs.
- Developed soft-EPO (emergency power-off) for power/cooling incidents, MapReduce jobs for compliance, and custom security scanners to enforce policies on insecure networks.
- Drove the scaling effort on the first Android testing laboratory for the release of Android 3.0 “Honeycomb.”.
- Built out hardware testbeds by retrofitting production automated installer for laboratories.