- DeveloperFreelance (via Toptal)2013 - PRESENT
Technologies: Java, Scala, Groovy, Angular, NoSQL, etc.
- Contributed to a variety of products and projects for clients ranging from brand-new startups to larger enterprises.
- Founder, Principal ConsultantPowerUp2012 - PRESENT
- Consulted on software development best practices, the agile process, and leadership.
- Performed hands-on architecture, project planning, and development in Java and Node.js.
- Implemented a data strategy involving big data, collection, metrics, and dashboarding.
- CTOAdGlue2013 - 2015
Technologies: Groovy, Grails, AWS, Storm, Netty, ElasticMapReduce
- Set and executed technology strategy. AdGlue is an online advertising startup that targets ads to specific page content.
- Software Development ManagerOverstock.com2010 - 2013
- Led the principal team of an eight-team effort to integrate Overstock in external marketplaces. This constituted Overstock’s most significant project and included a tight timeline and tough requirements.
- Coded and developed an adoption strategy for the next generation inventory system.
- Led a team in hot swapping critical aging pieces of an order processing pipeline.
- Senior Software DeveloperAmazon2009 - 2010
- Worked as technical lead on a next-generation auction-based ad delivery platform.
- Led technical tasks on an Amazon Advertising Network project. The project enabled delivery of targeted ads based on Amazon behavioral data for third-party websites.
- Senior Software EngineerNetflix2006 - 2008
- Principal (only) developer for the Netflix Ad Server, a lightweight embedded ad server with sophisticated delivery control, targeting, and simulation.
- Designed and implemented Netflix’s RulesEngine Framework, responsible for determining content to be displayed at the top of Netflix home pages.
- Senior Software EngineerYahoo2005 - 2006
- Worked as technical lead for the presentation tier of Campaign Planning Tool (CPT), a web application used by the Yahoo sales team to create, validate, and commit advertising proposals.
- Senior Software Engineer - Navy ContractNorthrop Grumman IT2002 - 2004
- Led technical projects for the second-generation development of the MyWxmap weather data visualization web application. The app allowed meteorologists to view weather charts and analyze predictive weather model results.
- Designed and implemented the UI for the Chemical Downwind Forecast (CDF) web application. The app was designed, implemented, and deployed in a three-week period to support troops in Iraq.
- Software Architect and EngineerEnterprise Broadcasting Corp1998 - 2001
Technologies: Java, Delphi (Object Pascal), C++
- Led development of software for a hybrid digital cinema/eCommerce prototype with kiosks at each seat supporting broadband content and feature presentations.
- Developed an application enabling a Grass Valley Group (GVG) Profile Video Server to transmit SMPTE Time Code to IP clients, allowing for synchronization between video and application servers.
- Software DeveloperCybertron1995 - 1998
Technologies: C++, Delphi (Object Pascal)
- Designed and implemented a Virtual Reality (VR) viewing engine using Delphi (Object Pascal), OpenGL for real time rendering, and LightWorks for radiosity rendering.