Technical Writer IV2018 - 2018CACI International, Inc.
Technologies: Confluence, Draw.io, HTML, CSS, Proprietary C++ Applications
- Supported the five-person technical documentation team as team lead.
- Created OOP software design documentation for proprietary C++ applications, tools, and utilities.
- Developed software function and data flow charts in Draw.io.
- Administered project content (as space admin) in the Confluence CMS.
- Created custom views in Confluence using macros, HTML, and CSS.
- Configured and tested add-ons (PDF Exporter, HTML Exporter) and worked with add-on vendors to resolve functional issues.
- Identified bugs and blockers and entered, tracked, and resolved issues in Jira (Kanban board).
- Created the visual design section of the style guide.
Technical Writer2016 - 2017Greene Resources, Inc. (for MaxPoint Interactive Inc.)
Technologies: Confluence, Draw.io, Apache, Hadoop, Spark
- Conducted the discovery and documentation process with technical and business leadership (audit, IT, devops, HR, legal) to identify the in-scope processes and systems and to collect all relevant information for the deliverables.
- Created the SOC 2 system description for the company’s in-scope products to fulfill certification requirements.
- Collaborated with the information security manager to review and update the IT risk management controls to meet SOC 2 certification requirements.
- Collected and compiled business and IT control activity records and consulted on remediation strategies.
- Managed the project’s Confluence documentation as the secure space administrator.
- Created and updated IT and business policies and procedures to fulfill SOC 2 control requirements.
- Conducted application-level user access reviews and third-party risk assessments of data center vendors, financial, and sales system vendors for the SOX audit effort.
SOP Writer and UAT Writer/Tester2015 - 2016Deegit, Inc. (for Wipro/Stryker Orthopaedics)
Technologies: MS Office, SharePoint, Windchill, Solidworks
- Created and updated SOPs and work instructions for an enterprise-wide CMS enhancement project (Windchill). I also created the documentation tracking tool for the effort.
- Created and conducted UAT testing for the revalidation and new version testing of a SharePoint-based collateral system to support compliance with 21 CFR part 820.30.
- Worked with offshore development team to map system design points and features to requirements to support the validation effort.
- Led an end-user (marketing) team in internal acceptance testing and documented the test results per QA processes.
Technical Writer2012 - 2013Elliot Electric Supply
Technologies: Kentico, MS Office, HTML, CSS, Proprietary Technology
- Managed the company-wide IT change communications for business process improvement projects.
- Led the Kentico CMS project, acted as enterprise content manager and global administrator, configured the system for operation, and coded view templates and system functions using HTML and CSS.
- Wrote software manuals and process change notices, process and system manuals, and online tutorials.
- Onboarded and trained a new technical writer for the day-to-day communications functions.
- Completed projects (PCI DSS support, business process documentation, and customer-facing product materials) for the leadership team and purchasing, HR, training, and IT departments.
Cybersecurity Consultant2010 - 2010Black & Veatch (for Austin Water Utility)
Technologies: Microsoft Server, Sparq, SCADA, Snort, MS Office
- Interviewed key organizational personnel to discover mission-critical processes and impacts and document all in-scope systems.
- Reviewed the organization and industry’s threat history and collaborated on creating an appropriate threat agent library from the threat agent risk assessment (TARA) tool.
- Created a controls gap analysis of the City of Austin IT Policies and Procedures against the controls selected from NIST SP800-53r3, DHS CCSSR (Mar. 2010 release) and the City of Austin IT Policies and Procedures.
- Created the SCADA Cyber Security Project Findings and Recommendations Summary for the Risk Assessment Report.
- Created a security standards map between NIST SP800-53r3, DHS CCSS 2010, and CoA’s FISCAM controls.
- Created standards-compliant policies and procedures for seven NIST SP800-53 control families. Also peer-reviewed the PnP sets for the remaining control families for compliance and quality assurance.
Technical Writer2008 - 2009Infowave Systems (for ISO New England)
Technologies: MS Office, MS Server, Proprietary Company Applications
- Performed engineering subject matter interviews, prepared and presented planning materials, and created technical documentation for a shared-services asset management system.
- Presented the shared-services asset management system to partner entities.
- Conducted discovery, documentation, and system categorization to update the critical assets list and collect all available in-scope information.
- Executed a compliance review for CIP 002 through 009 and updated the compliance project plan for the effort.
- Wrote and executed test planning for compliant and substantially compliant requirements for CIP 002 through 009.
- Conducted remediation consultation and management for IT and business requirements.
- Created the findings report for the internal audit and cybersecurity departments.
- Led the IT policy and procedure review cycle and updated documentation for remediations and process updates.
IT Audit and GRC System Consultant2005 - 2007Resources Global Professionals (for Enterprise Clients)
Technologies: PolicyIQ, Cisco Networking, MS Servers and Applications
- Led the implementation of a combined GRC and PnP CMS (policyIQ).
- Performed all CMS configuration and content management activities from lights-on to launch and trained all personnel with content management responsibilities.
- Provided compliance reporting for risk management, performed access control testing for JD Edwards and prepared the critical spreadsheet inventory.
- Supported Sarbanes-Oxley audit preparation efforts for RGP’s clients as an on-site consultant.
- Conducted Sarbanes-Oxley audit preparation activities (risk assessment support, system categorization, control reviews, control testing, remediation consultation, and compliance reporting) for RGP clients. My work was audited by PWC, KPMG, and EY.
Technical Writer2005 - 2005Yoh, Inc. San Diego (for Nanogen Inc.)
Technologies: MS Office
- Coordinated with management and external audit to create the scope of work for the IT portion of Nanogen, Inc.’s first-year Sarbanes-Oxley audit.
- Created a full IT policy manual to support the IT department's compliance with control objectives. All work passed review by external audit (Ernst & Young).
- Created system security, incident response, backup operations, and helpdesk SOPs to support the IT department's compliance with control objectives. All work passed review by external audit (Ernst & Young).
Technical Writer2005 - 2005Modis (for Biomed Realty Trust, Inc.)
Technologies: MS Office, Adobe Captivate, MS Server, PolicyIQ
- Created the IT policy and procedure documentation for the first-year Sarbanes-Oxley audit of a publicly owned REIT firm. All work passed review by a Big 4 external auditor (KPMG).
- Coordinated the IT Sarbanes-Oxley compliance initiative and served as the IT liason to the internal audit team (Resources Global Professionals).
- Created and conducted web-based multimedia training for the company’s ethical business program as implemented in PolicyIQ.
Production Reporting Assistant2004 - 2004Socal Staffing (for American Mortgage Network)
Technologies: MS Excel, Crystal Reports, AS400
- Utilized Excel, Crystal Reports, and AS400 queries to create and distribute mortgage pipeline reports to all brokers and responsible departments.
- Conducted a process improvement project to revise the reporting process to directly query the AS400 system with Excel. This shortened the process by 60% and saved 2-4 hours per day.
- Wrote the production administration operations manual for the department and trained my replacement for the position.
Technical Writer (Training Development)2004 - 2004Socal Staffing (for Newgen Results)
Technologies: Oracle, Clarity, AppointNet, MS Office
- Worked with subject matter experts from departments to discover, document, and validate business processes, departmental procedures, and work checklists.
- Created graphical training materials for all application procedures and validated them with the subject matter experts before delivery to the project manager.
- Created IL training materials for an in-house web application under development at the time.
Technical Training Writer2004 - 2004Biogen Idec, Inc. (Self-Employed)
Technologies: Siebel CRM, MS Office
- Interviewed business and IT stakeholders and key operational personnel to understand their current and future processes and change management activities in place.
- Used the collected knowledge to create effective application workflows and produce the Sales CRM training and onboarding manuals.
- Delivered instructor-led training (ILT) to a class of 20+ people.