David James Schuler
Verified Expert in Engineering
OutSystems Architect, Tech Lead, and Developer
The most amazing...
...thing I've accomplished is inventing and putting into practice an algorithm for picking inventory in a warehouse.
- Developed the product roadmap from product specification through multiple product releases.
- Handled as many as five scrum teams concurrently as the scrum master. Conducted scrum meetings and assisted the product owner in grooming the backlog.
- Extended the document management functionality to satisfy customer needs.
- Created an endpoint-sufficient DocuSign connector with OAuth2 authentication to satisfy customer requirements.
- Brought two OutSystems applications into production with the customer and provided post "go-live" support.
- Acted as secretary of the ISB Tech Council, which assessed and implemented technical needs.
- Was a member of the continuous improvement team, which implemented significant refactoring and security enhancements.
Chief Systems Architect
- Engaged as OutSystems consultant to the State of Wisconsin Department of Corrections and evaluated their use of OutSystems. Designed a mobile app based on cognitive behavior therapy for use by parole officers and led the team that implemented it.
- Invented an algorithm for picking inventory in a warehouse and designed the application that implemented it. Led a team that wrote the application and deployed it for multiple customers.
- Assumed the architect, tech lead, and scrum master roles in developing an ERP for the construction industry using the OutSystems platform.
- Performed the initial design and implementation of an eCommerce site, including all data conversion, for a customer using the Magento platform.
- Retained by the State of Illinois to assess their website in response to the Affordable Care Act. Became part of the team that converted the site to SharePoint.
- Evangelized Agile development at Katalyst. Trained multiple scrum masters and converted the entire company to the Agile methodology.
- Served as project coordinator and scrum master for web development at a printing company. When my involvement with this activity ended, the CEO wrote in praise of my contributions.
Thalian Systems Inc.
- Managed the design, development, and maintenance of a web application for league golf recordkeeping and another for administering insurance plans.
- Designed and led the development team in building and maintaining a FoxPro application for administering employee insurance plans for Ford Motor Company.
- Drove the design, creation, and maintenance of a bowling center management app and the integration of bowling automatic scoring systems, point-of-sale systems, and in-house computers for Brunswick using assembly language, Fortran, and AlphaBASIC.
- Devised and drove the development team in creating and maintaining a multiple listing service search program for McGraw Hill.
- Created and oversaw the development team in building and maintaining an image-scanning application. Scanned and indexed half a million documents for the Federal Reserve.
- Led a team of developers and designed, built, and maintained applications for multiple small manufacturers.
- Developed client websites using WordPress and/or PHP.
- Built client eCommerce sites using Magento and/or PHP.
Secretary | Treasurer
Thalian Systems Inc.
- Managed installation and support of clients' systems, networks, and software in Unix, Linux, Windows, and Novell environments.
- Designed and managed bespoke software development in C, FoxPro, and Visual Basic.
- Built an application and managed the implementation team of the bowling center management system for Brunswick.
- Led a team that scanned, stored, and indexed 750,000 documents and developed a bespoke application for searching the documents for Federal Reserve.
- Led a team that converted applications from dBASE II to FoxPro for the US Customs Service.
- Designed and led a development team that developed a check image statement system installed internationally in banks.
- Acted as a design and development team member for the CAT scanner for EMI Medical.
- Developed 1st ever systems analysis of the bowling center for Brunswick.
- Built communications interfaces and protocols to integrate automatic scoring devices, POS terminals, and backroom computers for Brunswick.
- Developed 1st ever non-mainframe MLS search system for McGraw-Hill.
Senior Technical Advisor
Honeywell Information Systems
- Served as acting Midwest regional technical support manager, in charge of interviewing and hiring.
- Designed and led the development team of a league record-keeping system for Brunswick.
- Made hundreds of presentations to managers of major corporations.
- Managed a major operating system release field testing.
Manager of Operating Systems Development
Nixdorf Computer (later division of Siemens)
- Managed a team of 20 technicians developing and supporting operating systems software.
- Managed the last phase of development and testing of the ERP product.
- Analyzed and reviewed hardware and software performance.
Client Rehabilitation Mobile Application
Based on cognitive behavior therapy, this application assisted the probation and parole agent in helping clients to reduce the likelihood of re-offending.
The project was implemented using the OutSystems platform and included web server and mobile application components. I designed and roughed out the server and mobile applications and led a team of three developers and a UI/UX resource. The project was completed and deployed in two weeks.
ERP for the Construction Industry
The server component allowed project managers to manage their projects from the bidding process to the project's conclusion. During the bidding, project managers could also create a contract to be sent to the customer. Meanwhile, the mobile component allowed field superintendents to submit daily and weekly status reports, monitor subcontractors' performance, and file reports on deficiencies identified.
During this project, I interacted with the customer and functioned as scrum master, tech lead, and primary developer. I led a team of as many as 10 members at a time, comprising developers, database specialists, and UI/UX resources. My development work largely consisted of constructing connectors to external services, including a zip code validation service, Acumatica, and cloud file storage services. Features of this project included tight integration with Outlook, Office, Acumatica, version control, and rollback.
Proof of Concept (POC) for a Picking Algorithm
The POC was written using the OutSystems platform and integrated with a database containing the orders. It allowed the user to select an order by date, customer, or item, and it produced an optimal path for picking the inventory in the warehouse, either in visual or English-language form.
I invented the picking algorithm and mapped the warehouse onsite in a form usable by the POC. I also roughed out the POC and led a team of developers in completing it. Using this approach, we reduced picking times from between 10% and 100%.
Agile, Best Practices, Scrum, REST
Windows, WordPress, Linux, Magento
OutSystems, Algorithms, Software Design, Software Development, Numerical Analysis, Writing & Editing, Critical Thinking, Architecture, Web Development, Linux Administration, Scrum Master, Project Design & Management, IT Management, Operating Systems
Master's Degree in Computer Science
Northwestern University - Evanston, Illinois, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Russian and Mathematics
Northwestern University - Evanston, Illinois, USA
Scrum Alliance Inc.
OutSystems Associate Tech Lead
Red Hat Certified Engineer
OutSystems Associate Traditional Web Developer
Arthur Andersen Co.