Verified Expert in Engineering
David has 11 years of experience in web development, including positions such as CTO, lead developer, solo developer, and database admin. David excels at working with clients directly and helping them craft their vision of the perfect app or MVP. He specializes in full-stack development and loves building SaaS apps, Chrome extensions, and PWAs. David prefers to build back ends in Node.js or PHP, and he's currently working on building more JAMstack apps.
Node.js, PHP, React, Vue, Bootstrap, Docker, Git
The most amazing...
...web app I've developed is trakability.com. It serves thousands of insurance agencies and is the number one office management tool in the State Farm network.
Director of Engineering
Hub City Code
- Developed software as a service applications across dozens of industries.
- Consulted with clients and filled the role of a product owner with the development team.
- Helped clients through various software accreditations, such as PCI compliance and HIPAA compliance.
- Managed a team of developers across dozens of projects.
- Developed the company's web application, an office management tool for insurance agencies.
- Provided all technical support to the customer service staff.
- Managed the development team and worked with co-founders to create roadmaps.
Senior Full-stack Developer
- Developed an IoT device that monitored welding machine usage.
- Created a web application to track IoT device data, specifically from the above-mentioned welding machine tracker.
- Developed a web application to accurately price second-hand components sold by the parent company.
- Provided QA for uumph, an order management software for dropshipping logistics providers.
Louisiana Tech University
- Developed a content management system for the engineering college to manage their web presence.
- Developed a learning management system for a NASA-sponsored high school curriculum.
- Developed a camp management system for the engineering college's annual summer camp.
Trakability is a PHP-backed application with Vue.js and React apps for various features. Trakability uses Node.js microservices to handle background tasks from its queue.
I built the first version of Trakability as an MVP with my cofounder in about 1 month. The MVP demo gathered hundreds of beta users and an outside investor within a few months. Working on Trakability as CTO and lead developer, the application has grown to over 1,200 users and keeps track of 100,000+ insurance policies.
I have also managed the development team as it has grown, developing best practices and leading my company successfully through State Farm certification, which is similar to SOC2.
HowMany is a Chrome extension powered by PHP and Node.js microservices running on a rabbitMQ queue. HowMany also has a React-powered admin interface and a Vue.js-powered Customer portal.
I picked up this project from another developer and became the lead developer for several years. Some of the technical challenges included scaling computationally-intense, real-time tasks, creating a robust API, and evolving a legacy database to more modern standards.
I reduced the load time for the API's intensive calls from around one min (yes a whole minute) to around two seconds. I also implemented dozens of new features resulting in a user growth rate of nearly 100%.
I also improved the system uptime to around 98%. It's worth noting this application using web scraping techniques (with permission) so that is unheard of in this space.
I took over the project from previous development. The application was not working due to changes in Facebook's APIs.
I rebuilt the extension's API code, completely eliminating the constant issues with Facebook changing APIs. I also retooled the codebase to make adding new integrations with third-party APIs easier. Adding a new API went from about 10 hours to about 30 minutes. We have tripled the number of integrations since this change.
GroupsPro has gone on to be featured on AppSumo and now boasts over 110,000 members.
File Genius is a React front end with a PHP back end and Node.js microservices for data cleanup.
I started on as a developer with File Genius and quickly moved up to managing the feature team. In my time there we rebuilt the dev environment instructions – which took roughly 10 hours to set up – into a Docker container that can be brought up in seconds. This reduced new employee onboarding significantly.
Bootstrap, Express.js, CodeIgniter
Node.js, Vue, jQuery, React, Redis Queue
Slack, Git, Stylus, Create React App, React Apollo
MySQL, Redis, PostgreSQL
People Management, Chrome Extensions, Full-stack, Software, Robotics, Microcontrollers, Apollo Server, Apollo, APIs
Docker, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Master's Degree in Education
Louisiana Tech University - Ruston, Louisiana
Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering
Louisiana Tech University - Ruston, Louisiana