Director of Technology2017 - PRESENTEvidation Health
- Designed and implemented the data platform (a distributed and scalable system that runs securely in an AWS VPC using Airflow, RabbitMQ, and Celery to execute Python ETL scripts to continuously and reliably process hundreds of gigabytes of raw data from third-party sensors, surveys, media, and studies into an S3 data lake daily). This system has been sold to large pharmaceutical and tech companies to allow their data scientists to focus on analysis.
- Created a method for idempotently merging large, partitioned data sets into a data lake using Amazon EMR, Apache Spark, and additional tools for processing into an S3 back-end–allowing for schema changes and backfilling/reprocessing to occur without system downtime. As a result, we were able to quickly deliver tens of terabytes of data continuously while preserving data integrity.
- Performed major structural changes to the product architecture and release process to isolate customer environment-specific code from core services with minimal downtime. This reduced the risk of new changes unexpectedly impacting all projects and allows further customization of customer libraries and dependencies.
- Additionally served as the team’s product manager and quality assurance engineer as the team succeeded in delivering our MVP with the most complex digital biomarker study protocol ever designed as its first use case.
- Built additional web services on top of our platform for monitoring, delivering data, and quarantining problematic data for root cause analysis and repair.
Tech Lead | Senior Engineer2015 - 2017AppFolio
- Acted as the product owner and technical lead for the value-added service that integrates credit, eviction, and criminal data web services from partner systems to provide background check reports to our customers. This service is a critical competitive advantage for the company and makes up 21% of annual revenue.
- Prototyped our first in-house solution for a criminal and eviction background search service, including a data comparison analysis with our previous solution and evaluating big data tools to perform thousands of queries over a billion records with multiple indexes for instant results.
- Led the development of the property manager product's HOA support initiative which involved several refactors to import features such as recurring invoice scheduling and reporting.
- Analyzed customer segments and rapidly prototyped an MVP to perform market validation for a new business offering that involved automatic scanned bill scraping. These efforts saved the company an estimated $1.5 million due to high investment, low-scan quality, and low adoption.
Director of Product/Engineering2014 - 2015cielo24
- Led the development on several high-priority initiatives such as building our own task management system to delegate inbound media transcription jobs from customer systems to external partner APIs and workforce clouds (such as Amazon Mechanical Turk) at a large scale with strict SLA requirements.
- Gathered stakeholder requirements and provided hands-on technical design and level-of-effort estimates for complex software features, allowing solution discovery to iterate rapidly without extensive redesign by engineers.
- Defined product roadmaps, served as the scrum master, and managed weekly releases in Jira.
- Reviewed pull requests to ensure that the requirements of the feature were met, that coding best practices were applied, and that test cases were covered.
- Managed onsite software engineers, offsite-contractors, and partnerships.
- Analyzed historical Amazon Mechanical Turk worker quality scores to recommend a new scoring structure to promote alignment across different phases of the media transcription and proofreading process using linear regression.
Product Manager2012 - 2014Maker Studios (acquired by Disney)
Technologies: Node.js, MySQL (Vertica), Redis, Redshift, Salesforce, Adobe EchoSign, Google APIs
- Built the company’s first automated data retrieval service to pull daily analytics from YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter for over 60,000 channels for revenue, viewership, demographics, and engagement into our application data as well as Amazon Redshift to identify better campaign targets for affiliate and brand advertisers. At the time I was the YouTube API's "power user" and met several times with their product and engineering team onsite and at Google's Venice office.
- Served as the team’s database lead by designing new tables, optimizing query performance, and advising other team members with design and troubleshooting.
- Designed and automated the customer onboarding workflow to record and sign required tax forms using web form validation, Adobe EchoSign, and Salesforce. Resolving this critical bottleneck which reduced the onboarding time from two weeks to just minutes and allowed the company to drastically increase the number of acquired customers.
- Led product roadmaps for many high-profile products and authored several major patents.
Programmer/Analyst III2010 - 2012USC Information Sciences Institute
- Created a Django-based content management system for the National Institute of Health's Non-Human Primary Research Centers to allow their pathologists to classify specimens and annotate progressively-rendered large virtual microscopy images.
- Built a REST web service using Java Spring and used it for researching data transfer performance in a computing cluster.
- Co-authored three publications.
Senior Software Engineer2005 - 2009Computer Associates
- Implemented the product integrations between the Spectrum Network Management product with several other computer associates' products such as single sign-on, service desk, and CMDB, as well as SAP BusinessObjects reports.
- Acted as the key engineer on the Spectrum Network Reporting product team.
- Aggregated data in MySQL from a distributed network of SNMP devices and built a Java-based web application on top of it for better visibility into overall network trends.