Deborah Anne Kallina
SQL Developer in Baltimore, MD, United States
Member since March 13, 2016
Deb is a full-stack web developer with seven years of experience. She's spent the last two years migrating an aging object-oriented PHP platform to Ruby on Rails and considers Ryan Bates (Railscasts.com) her programming hero. She strongly believes that good communication skills are paramount to making a project successful. Deb is an analytical thinker who enjoys solving complex problems and exceeding client expectations.
Developer2016 - PRESENTTatango, Inc.
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Git
- Designed and constructed interfaces that the user could understand and easily use.
- Helped reduce technical debt by identifying issues and refactoring code.
- Sought out solutions that were scalable, fast, and efficient.
- Overhauled legacy systems that had become insufficient for the needs of the client.
- Resolved recurring problems.
Webmaster2012 - PRESENTCharitableForms.com, LLC
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, SVN, vi, RSpec
- Designed and developed a document assembly website for charitable remainder trusts in Ruby on Rails.
- Taught myself Ruby on Rails, MVC pattern, RSpec, Twitter Bootstrap, and more.
- Developed and gave presentations to parties potentially interested in the service.
- Performed the requirements analysis to determine the needs and wants of the project.
- Worked with attorneys to create master charitable remainder trust form documents.
Webmaster, Vice President2009 - PRESENTCharitablePlanning.com, LLC
Technologies: PHP, Perl, Ruby on Rails, Oracle, vi, SVN, Solr, XPath, RSpec
- Overhauled large portions of a website to better meet the needs of internal and external users.
- Re-evaluated and modified existing tools. Created and implemented new features using best practices.
- Migrated an aging object-oriented PHP platform to Ruby on Rails (complete with extensive testing), in order to reduce code complexity and increase the long-term maintainability of project.
- Assessed scope, defined priorities, and developed road maps for success (as the technical lead).
- Reverse-engineered complex charitable and estate planning calculation formulas.
- Created and maintained 60+ Perl spider scripts that hourly added public domain documents to the website’s legal library.
- Acted as technical support for end users, assisted with sales, provided training for non-technical staff, and oversaw subcontractors.
FrameworksRuby on Rails (RoR)
ToolsVim Text Editor
Libraries/APIsRuby on Rails API
- Master of Science in Computer Science2007 - 2009Baylor University - Waco, TX, USA
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science2003 - 2007Taylor University - Upland, IN, USA