Head of Software Development | Software Architect | Senior Software Engineer2011 - 2017MI-C3
Technologies: GeoServer, OpenLayers, PostGIS, Node.js, D3.js, JasperReports, TIBCO, AngularJS, Activiti BPM, Java EE, PostgreSQL
- Managed several cross-functional teams of 30+ software engineers in Malta, Macedonia and Nigeria offices.
- Created an environment where everyone could complete their assignments accurately and on time by clearly communicating the task purpose and providing continuous code reviews, training, and assistance.
- Found, hired and retained most of the team members by ensuring everyone enjoyed their time with the team. Used every opportunity to inspire everyone to dream big about what they do.
- Architected and led the early development of a privately hosted collaboration platform, Affectli. Among clients like Chevron and Newmont, IHS Towers uses Affectli to collaboratively manage their assets with third parties also running their own instances of Affectli. Oversaw the development of a custom module provisioned by IHS, an app supporting their specific day-to-day operations.
- Built the architecture and led the development of a fleet and shipping management system for Petro Kazakhstan, a CPNC: China National Petroleum Company. The system supports the management of shipping and receiving products by railway, pipeline, and trucks. Provides fleet management, maintenance, and tracking and generates shipping documentation and reporting (orders, shipments, waybills, acts, analytical reports).
- Created the system architecture and developed the database of TagNGo (Tagngo.com), a vehicle tracking and an on-board diagnostics (OBD) service featuring data sharing and views of tracking history, personal safety, driving performance assessment and analytics.
- Designed and built a back-end infrastructure for a simpler and cost-effective microservice development. It is an integral part of all the products developed at MI-C3. It does not use an ORM so they do not need Java or PHP developers for most of their back end. Instead, much of the work is done by repurposing database developers already doing business intelligence tasks.
Senior BI/Data Engineer2008 - 2010Alpha Bank
Technologies: Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), SAP BusinessObjects Data Service (BODS), Oracle FLEXCUBE, Oracle 10g
- Supported the implementation of the Basel II regulatory standards by developing statistical models (based on HMM—hidden Markov model) assessing the bank’s risk exposure (credit, liquidity, currency and interest rate risk).
- Supported the migration to Oracle FLEXCUBE by developing crosscheck reporting to validate the proper configuration and operation of the new system. Built a module that independently generated all the accounting records (and other intermediary tables) based on the configuration and the activity entries originating from all the modules of the system. Basically, it was a banking system made according to the bank’s specifications. It was doing all the work FLEXCUBE does to the data after the user’s input. These records were later compared against the FLEXCUBE ones to check if everything is in place.
- Developed reporting and ETL related to loans, deposits, funds transfer, and overall accounting.
- Implemented data analyses in projects that established the local regulatory requirements, converting chart of accounts, and central bank audits.
- Performed quarterly and annual financial reporting, MIS.
Operations Supervisor2003 - 2008Intralot SA
Technologies: Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), ETL, Crystal Reports, Oracle9i
- Oversaw the adoption of the new products (lotto, bingo, scratch tickets, and betting) from system operation, training, regulatory and market perspectives.
- Supervised the technical operations for a local customer, Lottery of Macedonia.
- Developed products supporting the operations and did tasks involving ETL, winnings calculation, crawling the competition's websites for offers and did risk assessment (e.g., Dutch Booking).
- Performed operational requirements and sales/market analyses.
- Prepared financial reports.
Senior Software Engineer2001 - 2003National Bank of Greece
- Served as the technical lead behind the web-based loan application processing system (E-loans.nbg.gr).
- Built a web service around the InTempo workflow engine and for the client-side, a single-page application that exchanged only data with the service. This setup reduced the network traffic and improved the app's response.
- Developed ETL procedures for the foreign subsidiaries running GLOBUS (Temenos T24 predecessor).
- Migrated older DBASE applications to Microsoft platform (Microsoft SQL Server, Visual Basic, and DCOM).
Software Engineer2000 - 2001Artisoft
- Developed financial, inventory, CRM, HR, and other modules for an ERP system "ART-AIIS".
- Ported the business logic from an existing ColdFusion scripts to PL/SQL modules.
- Optimized time-consuming queries.
Software Engineer1999 - 2000Seavus
Technologies: Microsoft Visual C++, Visual Basic 6 (VB6)
- Created a messaging service which integrated the old paging system, email, and SMS. It was used to route SMS messages sent from a mobile phone to pagers or to email.
- Built a commercialized browser that was used for a rich in-store customer experience. It contained customized modules for interaction and communication.
- Developed an Internet Explorer add-on for communication with a non-standard proxy server.