Software Developer2018 - PRESENT1stdibs
Technologies: React, Relay, Redux, GraphQL, Node, Jenkins, Bash, Server-side Rendering
- Worked with the Agile team to launch an internationalized eCommerce site.
- Internationalized SEO.
- Improved the A/B testing framework on client and server.
- Designed and implemented a Jenkins pipeline to synchronize website translations with the third-party service.
- Created ways for users to filter items based on location.
Full-stack Developer2016 - 2017Remind
- Supported multi-media messaging on a platform with over 25 million monthly active users.
- Migrated 8 million chat histories to a new DynamoDB store with zero downtime.
- Supported incremental adoption of GraphQL across a React.js front-end.
- Implemented message composition screens to allow for file attachments, integrations, and message reactions.
- Implemented user avatar image upload and display.
Data Science Engineer2015 - 2015Foursquare
Technologies: Scala, Python, Bash, MapReduce, Scalding, Luigi
- Supported the geolocation data science team as a data engineer.
- Implemented and tested a "recently viewed venues" feature to improve the predictive geolocation algorithm.
- Improved the notifications pipeline by fetching in concurrent stages.
- Improved machine utilization by batching service calls.
- Created a front-end dashboard for testing features in a geolocation algorithm.
Product Manager2014 - 2015Symposium
Technologies: HTML, CSS, Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Objective-C, C#
- Joined the HR recruitment startup as employee #3.
- Mediated conversations between the non-technical founder and remote contractors for the web and mobile app.
- Designed, implemented, and deployed the marketing site.
- Launched the landing page MVP to gather initial users.
Teaching Assistant2014 - 2015University of Pennsylvania
Technologies: Java, OCaml
- Led weekly recitations for twenty undergraduates.
- Taught test-driven development strategies to new programmers.
- Taught functional programming and data structures in OCaml.
- Taught object-oriented program design in Java.
iOS Developer2014 - 2014Capvision Partners
Technologies: Objective-C, REST API, JSON
- Built an iOS app for financial consultants to read and share in-house industry news in Shanghai, China.
- Collaborated with all-Chinese marketing and product teams to design the initial app.
- Pivoted initial news reading app to integrate more features such as event RSVP, profiles, and project management.
- Used Core Data for data persistence, allowing articles to be read offline.
- Onboarded a new full-time iOS engineer who took long-term ownership of the project after my contract ended.
- React Native App - Mediation Cards (Development)https://github.com/dericko/safflower-mcards
A React Native project for displaying swipe-able cards. This particular card deck is adapted from a real deck of meditation cards.
- React-Redux Minesweeper (Development)https://github.com/dericko/minesweeper
A client-side implementation of Minesweeper that demonstrates React.js and Redux best practices.
- Python Crawler - Social Media Research (Development)https://github.com/dericko/crawler-censored-terms
A study on censorship on Chinese social media sites. Uses a python crawler to find banned terms.
- Python NLP - Analysis of Translations (Development)https://github.com/dericko/nlp-translations-laozi
Analysis of translations of the Tao TeChing by Laozi. Uses python-based NLP to determine the similarities of various translations.
- Hardware - Raspberry Pi in a Ball (Other amazing things)
An educational hardware project to teach children about matrices. A 3D array of red and blue LED lights controlled with a Raspberry Pi and IMU accelerometer light up according to which side is up.
FrameworksExpress.js, Relay, Ruby on Rails (RoR), React Native
ToolsGit, Atom, Babel, React Apollo
ParadigmsTest-driven Development (TDD), Functional Programming
StoragePostgreSQL, AWS DynamoDB
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science2011 - 2016University of Pennsylvania - Philadelphia, PA