Senior Engineer2016 - 2017NUVI (via Toptal)
Technologies: Golang, Ruby, Rails, RabbitMQ, Redis, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, AirBrake, StatsD, Heroku, CircleCI, Deis
- Implemented most of the data-collecting logic and a big part of data conversion and data unification for NUVI social media marketing suite. Was involved in the development of a data-filtering microservice. Helped create statistical reports and fixed some WebUI-related issues. Mentored juniors and interviewed candidates.
- Designed and implemented a microservice (Golang) that got near-real-time activities directly from social networks and other data providers through their APIs according to users’ monitors and pushed data onto RabbitMQ and Redis with duplicate prevention. Implemented interactions with Instagram, Google+, YouTube, LexisNexis, Reddit, and VK; helped with Pinterest and StackOverflow; and reimplemented mots of the logic related to Facebook.
- Implemented reliable and disconnection-tolerant RabbitMQ subscriptions and publishing for all the company’s Golang applications. Eliminated a very harmful and hard-to-catch issue in streadway/amqp.
- Developed a microservice (Golang) for getting real-time data from social networks and other data providers and pushing them onto RabbitMQ.
- Designed and implemented a microservice (Golang) for getting Twitter historical data through the Gnip APIs and pushing them to RabbitMQ and Redis. The microservice had a Rest API for getting data counts and previews, for creating/retrying jobs, and for querying their statuses. The jobs and their sub-jobs were being processed in parallel. Refactored the microservice so that it could become a universal solution for getting historical data from all the social networks.
- Implemented reverse geocoding for getting ISO-3166-2 region code by geocoordinates in just one fast SQL query. (Created a complete world map with all the ISO-3166-2 regions’ shapes.).
- Designed and implemented a microservice (Rails) that received near-real-time activities through DataSift API according to users’ monitors and pushed them onto RabbitMQ and Redis in internal data formats.
- Developed a library (Golang) for URL normalization and concurrent resolution of redirects.
- Made a library (Golang, Selenium) for conversion between usernames and user IDs for Instagram and Facebook.
- Added support for LexisNexis and VK and implemented URL normalizing with redirect resolution and universal conversion of regions/countries names and codes into ISO-3166-1/2 along with reverse geocoding.
- Implemented a social network users’ matcher, URL matcher, and HTML stripping for text search; added the ability to debug the microservice locally using copies of real data streams; and improved publishing to RabbitMQ and Redis, along with other fixes and refactoring.
- Designed and implemented a microservice (Golang) to replay historical data from the company’s database to RabbitMQ and to convert data between formats. The microservice had a REST API and a CLI for creating jobs and for querying their statuses. The jobs and their sub-jobs were being processed in parallel.
- Implemented a microservice (Rails) that read activities of various social networks from RabbitMQ and stored them into MongoDB. The microservice had a REST API and a CLI for getting data from the DB.
- Designed and developed a web application (Rails) for collecting visitors’ social networks access tokens through OAuth APIs.
- Created a library (Golang) for working with monitor data that were stored in PostgreSQL and updated in real-time via RabbitMQ messages. The library was employed in several microservices.
CTO2014 - 2015ImproveMedia.ru
Technologies: Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL, Redis, RSpec, GitLab, JIRA
- Built a software development team (Ruby on Rails) which outclassed all previous ones in its effectiveness. My team, with my direct participation, released InMyRoom.ru v2.0 and FamilyBoom.ru, reworked and recovered eCommerce features, developed new billing features, introduced a Rails engine based on the code of InMyRoom.ru to make it a framework for all projects, and moved InMyRoom.ru and FamilyBoom.ru onto it.
- Established regular Scrum meetings and iteration plannings, organized a new task-tracking system and a documentation system, and established code-flow rules.
- Organized, in collaboration with team members, a continuous integration system, fixed unit tests, and introduced new Selenium tests.
- Found a system operator who joined the team and took all the tasks of a remote maintenance team. The code repositories were transferred onto the company's servers out from GitHub. Regular backups were tuned up. A monitoring system was introduced. A process for doing regular payments for hosting and other services was tuned up too.
Head of Software Quality Assurance2011 - 2013Mail.Ru Group
Technologies: Python, C, Java, PyTest, Nose, Linux, Xen, Convirt, Selenium WebDriver, Chef
- Developed automated testing that is interesting for people working on it (super-team, infrastructure, testing, test automation, continuous integration, requirements management, interaction with product owners, project managers, developers, operators, HR team, and PR team).
- Introduced the first stable multithreaded Selenium WebDriver service available on the company level, which now is being used in testing of many of company's products.
- Directed and coordinated a team to build a large set of automated tests from scratch on Python for daemons written on C, for the main module of advertisement feeds, a company-wide common template engine, and main parts of web front-end of target.mail.ru.
- Developed a testing infrastructure available on the company level (Xen virtualization with Convinture Convirt Open Source web-interface, configuration management with Opscode Chef, and continuous integration with Jenkins). This infrastructure became a home for continuous integration systems of different projects for our company.
- Developed and applied a tool for database change management based on migrations.
Head of Software Development2011 - 2011Oversun Scalaxy
- Trained colleagues, assisted the tech-support team in solving technical issues, helped the accounting department with reports creating, and participated in meetings devoted to the development of the product.
Head of QA2010 - 2011Oversun Scalaxy
Technologies: Ruby, RSpec, C, Linux, Selenium-RC, Cucumber, Java
- Built the testing process under an acute shortage of resources.
- Communicated with software developers, operators, and technical support team, informing programmers about user complaints and speeding up bug fixes. Participated in the discussion on technical architecture of new project tasks.
- Tested the company's software using automated, semi-automated, and manual approaches.
- Regularly planned testing and development of auto-tests, verified both functional and load requirements, and composed tasks for defect elimination and monitoring of system development.
- Trained colleagues to write Selenium tests with Cucumber.
- Re-established browser Selenium tests (Cucumber, Ruby, Selenium-RC) and added them into the continuous integration system. Achieved parallel running of Selenium tests in various browsers after patching the Selenium-RC source on Java.
Head of Software Quality Assurance Department2007 - 2010Begun.ru
Technologies: PHP, C, ActionScript, Linux, PHPUnit, Runkit, Zend Framework, Selenium-RC, Trac, VPAID
- Founded the quality assurance department of a Russian contextual auction-based advertising internet service, hired employees, and managed them. Planned teamwork, created the testing framework and environment, and communicated with software developers, operators, project managers, and business owners.
- Created and designed core components of a system for automated testing of the company's web interfaces and scripts, daemons, JS-blocks, ActionScript VPAID library, etc.
- Introduced a continuous integration system based on phpUnderControl. Helped introduce the company's coding standards; separated stable and current code using branches in the SVN repository. Coordinated product deployment.
- Developed a tool that provides a way to write formal bug reports into the Trac.
- Trained colleagues in software testing and the fine points of development for high-load systems, database optimization, and test-driven development.
- Originated and carried out the entire software lifecycle for a feature that brings the company a few thousand dollars a day.
- Created a PHP extension for internal use in the company and made a significant number of corrections of the PHP-extension runkit.
Lead Developer2006 - 2007RosBusinessConsulting Media World (mail.qip.ru)
- Improved the main web-mail features (representation, replying, messages formation, etc.) to support a variety of MIME combinations and encodings (this work was based on patching, optimizing and reintegrating the huge Horde Framework).
- Designed database schemas to improve the efficiency and scalability of the system.
- Sped up the web interface by rewriting code, modifying database structure and SQL queries, and caching data (on a file system or Memcached). Improved scalability of the web front-end (moved session data out from the local file system into the database).
- Eliminated a huge number of possibilities for XSS injections and SQL injections in the project.
Web Developer2003 - 2006ARTall
- Oversaw web development for the company.
- Authored a new web CMS.
- Created more than 40 websites with administrative interfaces (including a large e-shop) basing on the CMS.
- Designed database models (MySQL) and regularly patched HTML templates and CSS stylesheets.
- Operated Linux and FreeBSD, installed and configured Apache, PHP, MySQL, vsFTPd, Samba, and VPN (pptpd).
Programmer2003 - 2003Exat.ru
Technologies: Regular Expressions, XSLT
- Coded regular expressions.
- Wrote format converters of price lists on XSLT.
- Contributed to technical analytics.
- Wrote documentation on the XML format.
Web Developer2001 - 2002Renew
Technologies: PHP, PHPlib, MySQL, XSLT
- Automated the trainings.ru portal and added 16 new sections (including forum and search) into it.
- Created six new sites from scratch.
- Created a universal administrative interface for all sites in a very short time.