Verified Expert in Engineering
Dustin has been a professional full-stack engineer for over 15 years and has worked at companies and agencies, large and small. He's passionate and dedicated to his craft and always goes the extra mile for his employers and clients. Dustin is well-versed in handling both startup and enterprise-level architecture and will tailor his solutions to the requirements of any given project.
Git, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS, AWS IoT
The most amazing...
...thing I've developed is the Skills & Games section of the Alexa app that allows customers to discover new features and skills to enhance their day-to-day lives.
Front-end Engineer III, L6
- Architected and implemented the redesign of the Skills & Games section of the Alexa app, which provides a highly personalized and dynamic discovery experience for customers to improve their daily experience with Alexa.
- Served as the primary team member of the Alexa companion app's Skill Store re-platform from web views to React Native TypeScript.
- Instituted style guides, linting rules, and best practices for the team and evangelized those standards across the organization.
- Drove initiatives for performant, well-tested code and an architecture that reduced redundancy and provided more freedom to update the customer experience independent of scheduled app releases.
- Led the operational management of the front end of the Skills & Games section of the Alexa app, including bi-weekly release oversight, pipeline and deployment management, and significant performance improvements.
- Designed the front-end architecture for and led the development of the Wedding Registry Alexa Skill Blueprint Editor for the Amazon Retail Website. This package was built in React and has integrations with a Spring-based back end.
- Developed proprietary tooling in TypeScript for a React Native package to emit metrics to monitoring dashboards and alarms to improve the operational visibility of a live experience.
Senior Web Front-end Engineer I
- Architected, created, and maintained several internal tools used by the engineering and design departments of the World of Warcraft team, ranging from full-stack projects to front-end single-page applications driven by APIs.
- Created a performance report tool for technical artists backed by the World of Warcraft Oracle database. Users could query and sort the data in the report to surface information most relevant to them.
- Developed a database viewer single-page application using Angular 1, jQuery, and LESS that was used extensively to navigate and query data from the various World of Warcraft database schemas.
- Architected and implemented the 2nd evolution of our tools build system, which was split into two separate applications: a service to handle the build queue and listen for new builds and a website to display live information to users.
- Created an interactive map viewer for users and automation tools to plot data such as spawn density, node changes between builds, point lights, zone lights, quest givers, and much more on game maps.
- Collaborated with other internal teams to update and maintain a web-based pipeline management tool for moving builds, data, and assets to and from internal and external CDNs. Built with C#.NET, Python, jQuery, HTML, and LESS.
- Handled the full-stack maintenance of the website for creating builds of the World of Warcraft client and server.
Lead Web Front-end Engineer
- Served as the architect and technical lead for the front-end development of the Oakley.com website launched in early 2014, which used a custom, highly modular architecture for reusable front-end components and integrated with a Spring back end.
- Managed code reviews, standards, and expectations for an external agency that augmented our internal team for the front-end development of the new website and managed communications and planning with their lead developer.
- Developed numerous custom components for the Hybris CMS using JSP, JSTL, XML, and Impex files.
- Forked and maintained an internal version of Less.js to enforce a stricter structure for our LESS files.
- Managed a team of three internal developers, assisted BSAs in documentation work, and collaborated with the back-end Hybris developers to implement new features.
- Managed databases, files, and moderate use of Git version control through SSH in Terminal.
- Converted mock-ups provided by graphic designers to fully functional eCommerce websites.
- Ensured that all development was cross-browser compatible.
- Developed and maintained web systems for managing product information and employee efficiency, comparing product specifications, advanced product searching, and customer contests.
- Organized a team to coordinate new site designs and deal with any problems that arose in a high-volume eCommerce environment.
- Worked with graphic designers to ensure new designs adhere to many accessibility and user experience best practices.
- Collaborated with the web server engineers to improve stability and speed on all sites.
Web Development Intern
- Designed various buttons and feature blocks with Adobe Photoshop to match the appearance of a site's current design.
- Built sites out from a single template page and mockup.
- Cropped photos for before and after photo galleries and uploaded them using a back-end photo gallery management system.
- Used SourceControl Vault to manage file versioning and history and prevent conflicts between users.
- Developed a Microsoft Word macro written in VBScript to easily convert Word Documents for press releases into standards-compliant XHTML.
Webmaster and Systems Administrator
The Music Factory
- Maintained, built, and managed computers for 10 desktop systems running Windows NT/2000.
- Maintained one server running MS Server 2003, IIS, Exchange Server 2003, and MS SQL Server 2000.
Alexa Mobile Apphttps://alexa.amazon.com
Redux, React Native, Jest, Vanilla JS, Express.js, Angular, Aurelia, Dust.js, Jakarta Server Pages (JSP), Spring, Sinatra, Ruby on Rails (RoR), CakePHP, Spring MVC, Android SDK
React, Node.js, jQuery, RequireJS, Modernizr, Leaflet, REST APIs, Google Maps, JSTL, Polymer, Redux-Saga
Sublime Text 3, Gulp, Git, Subversion (SVN), Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Grunt, Adobe ColdFusion, AWS CLI, AWS IAM, AWS ELB, AWS CloudFormation, Amazon CloudFront CDN, Amazon Simple Queue Service (SQS), AWS Simple Notification Service (SNS), Amazon CloudWatch, Amazon Elastic Container Service (Amazon ECS), AWS Fargate, Jira, Redux Thunk
Visual Studio Code (VS Code), MacOS, Firebase, WordPress, AWS IoT
Front-end Development, Regular Expressions, ImpEx, Bazaar, Quality Assurance (QA), Melissa Data, Software Architecture, AWS Cloud Development Kit (CDK), ESLint, Distributed Systems, AWS AppConfig, AWS Certificate Manager, Paging, CI/CD Pipelines
Agile, Kanban, Waterfall Development, Microservices Architecture
Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring