Verified Expert in Engineering
Azure BI Developer
Edison is an Azure BI developer, data engineer, and data architect with 18 years of BI and data engineering experience across industries. Backed by an MCSE Azure Cloud Platform certification, he delivers high-quality BI solutions using Azure Data Factory (ADF), Python, Azure Functions, Azure SQL Database, Azure Synapse, Power BI, Databricks, Analysis Service, and SQL Server. Edison also excels at dimensional modeling, performance turning large data warehouses, and .NET and Angular development.
Azure PaaS, SQL Server BI, Windows 10, Visual Studio, Python 3, Microsoft Power BI, Azure Data Factory, Azure Functions, Tableau Desktop Pro, Google BigQuery
The most amazing...
...enterprise projects I've delivered end-to-end helped businesses make data-driven decisions and make business operations more efficient.
Senior Azure BI, Data Engineer, Power BI, Tableau, BigQuery, Python Developer
- Designed and developed the online sales dashboard, store operation dashboard, point-to-point delivery dashboard, and product availability dashboards using Microsoft Power BI, Azure Synapse, Azure Analysis Services, and DAX.
- Delivered the Data Factory ETL pipelines to dynamically copy data into Azure Blob Storage and load the dimension and fact tables.
- Designed and developed the data warehouse, analysis service cube, ETL process, and dimensional modeling.
- Migrated the seven existing fulfillment web reports of Woolworths' online sales to SSRS reports using Azure Synapse and SSRS.
- Created Azure Functions to process XML messages with Python, Azure Service Bus, Cosmos DB, and Azure Storage Queue.
- Developed point-to-point delivery and Online KPI Tableau dashboards using GCP BigQuery and Tableau.
- Built a data ingestion pipeline with Python to integrate Google Sheet's data into GCP BigQuery and Storage Buckets.
- Created the Azure Functions to create IotHub and Stream Analytics automatically.
- Changed the Power Query to add the features to a Power BI report.
Azure Data Engineer
Acumen Commercial Insights
- Delivered a data integration project in the retail FMCG industry.
- Built an ADF pipeline, Azure Function, and C# Web API to integrate data—including invoice, sales, customer, product, and payment—from SAP IDoc XML, SFTP, and API to the Azure SQL Database.
- Developed a Blob-triggered Azure Function for multiple clients to transform XML data—including XSD validation and XSLT transformation—generating an output file and sending it to the client by API.
- Designed the pipeline to ingest Excel and CSV files into the integration database, transform the Excel data to unpivot the data, and export the data to clients using ADF data flows.
Azure Data Engineer & Data Architect
- Designed and developed the ETL, data warehouse, cube, and reports of a digital email campaign for a leading health supplement company. This automation saved the client a substantial amount of time.
- Delivered a real-time big data analytics architecture, which included a real-time big data IoT, machine learning, and advanced analytics platform for a leading entertainment company.
- Developed text classification for clients using Python, Keras, word embedding, NLP, Word2vec, GloVe, deep learning, and CNN.
- Produced a movie recommendation proof of concept using Azure Databricks, machine learning, collaborative filtering, real-time data ingestion, Azure Event Hubs, Spark MLlib, and Python.
- Created a data integration pipeline to ingest SAP IDoc XML data—including invoice, sales, customer, product, and payment—into the integration database using ADF, Azure SQL Database, and Azure Blob Storage.
- Built a Blob-triggered Azure Function for multiple clients to transform XML data—including XSD validation and XSLT transformation—generating an output file and sending it to the client by API.
Senior Azure BI Developer
- Designed and built a dimensional modeling data warehouse, a tabular cube, and Power BI dashboard of online sales using Azure Data Warehouse, Azure Analysis Services cube, and Power BI.
- Performance-tuned large volume data with table partition, cube partition, polybase, and hash distribution on Azure Data Warehouse.
- Automated the cube process using Azure Automation account, runbooks, and webhooks.
Senior SQL BI Consultant
- Delivered high-quality BI solutions and projects for clients on BI visualization and reports, data warehousing, SSAS tabular model cube, DAX/MDX, SQL Server, Microsoft BI, and Power BI.
- Modeled, designed, and developed independently a sales cube using a SSAS tabular model cube and DAX for a large wholesale/retail company.
- Delivered an advanced benchmark BI system and advanced SSRS reports for a leading accounting firm using SSRS, MDX, SSAS, an OLAP cube, and SQL Server.
Senior SQL BI Developer
Aussie Home Loan
- Designed and developed independently a new data warehouse, cube, ETL, and some reports for analyzing mortgage and non-mortgage sales data (including home loan, insurance other financial data).
- Designed and developed a GL cube for the finance department.
- Optimized and performance-tuned a large volume BI data warehouse.
SQL BI Developer
- Developed several reports using SSRS (Reporting Service 2008) for finance, marketing, and sales departments.
- Oversaw and was in charge of ETL development and developed an SSIS package to extract data from an ERP system and transformed and processed the data using SQL Server 2008.
- Worked with an analysis programmer and other developer to realize the system based on InfoPath, Microsoft Web Services, Workflow, and SQL Server 2008.
Microsoft BI Developer
- Worked onsite at Microsoft and contributed to the development and support of five BI applications based on SQL Server, SSRS (reporting service), SSAS (cube), SSIS, ETL, data warehousing development, dimensional modeling design, and schema design.
- Developed reports using SSRS and implemented ETL through programming store procedures and SSIS package.
- Constructed the ETL with an SSIS package—slowly changing dimensions with store procedures, aggregation, a processing cube, and so on.
Australian Leading Supermarket | eCommerce DWH and Dashboard
Blackmores | Digital Email Campaigns and Analytics
Intersport | Retail Inventory ETL and Dashboard
Tourism Australia | Data Warehouse and Dashboard
The solution provided instant insights to staff—from analysts to C-suite executives—and eliminated the immense amount of resources and time spent on manual reporting and data extraction.
Charity Company | Text Analytics Dashboard
The project aimed to quickly identify important answers from a large number of survey responses every year to uncover the issues in the business and identify opportunities to improve services.
Star Group | Real-time Big Data Architecture
This platform was built to support next-generation analytics, including processing structure and unstructured data, real-time data ingestion, analytics, and machine learning.
Deloitte | Motor Industry Benchmark BI System
Moreover, I tackled the challenging performance issue caused by previous design by reverse engineering and reinventing the "engine." The solution enabled extensive reports to be rolled out to the end users and has since been recognized and applauded by the CIO and partners.
Aussie Home Loan | Mortgage Sales DWH and Reports
SaaS Ecommerce Web Platform
Revenue Management Consultancy Company | Data Integration
Additionally, I created blob-triggered Azure Functions to transform XML data, including XSD validation and XSLT transformation, generating and sending output files to clients by API. I also designed the pipeline to ingest Excel and CSV files into the integration database, transforming and unpivoting the Excel data and exporting them to clients using ADF data flows.
Python IoT Project
• Receive, validate, and process XML messages from IoT devices.
• Write and read data from Cosmos DB.
• Push messages to the Azure Storage Queue.
• Was triggered by Cosmos DB feed and Azure Storage Queue changes.
SQL Server BI, Microsoft Power BI, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Excel 2010, Azure Logic Apps, Tableau, BigQuery, Azure App Service, GitHub, Jira, Apache Airflow, Azure Machine Learning, Tableau Desktop Pro, Power Query, Google Analytics, Looker
Dimensional Modeling, Business Intelligence (BI), Database Design, ETL, OLAP, REST, Azure DevOps, Data Science
Azure, Azure Functions, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Databricks, Azure Event Hubs, Apache Kafka, Firebase
SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), Azure SQL, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), Relational Databases, Databases, Data Pipelines, OLTP, Data Integration, Database Integration, Database Modeling, Database Migration, Database Lifecycle Management (DLM), SQL Stored Procedures, Azure Blobs, Azure SQL Databases, Data Lake Design, Data Lakes, Database Architecture, Azure Queue, SQL Server 2016, PostgreSQL, Redshift, Azure Cosmos DB, Database Administration (DBA), SQL Server DBA, NoSQL, MySQL, PL/SQL, Amazon S3 (AWS S3)
Azure Data Factory, Data Modeling, Data Warehouse Design, Data Engineering, Data Warehousing, Data Migration, API Connectors, ETL Tools, Data Analytics, Data, Cloud Platforms, ELT, BI Reporting, SSRS Reports, Minimum Viable Product (MVP), Consolidation, Azure SQL Data Warehouse (SQL DW), Reporting, Data Cleansing, Data Quality Analysis, ETL Pipelines, Cloud, Entity Relationships, Performance Tuning, Azure Synapse, Azure Analysis Services, APIs, Dashboards, DAX, Data Visualization, Data Analysis, Webhooks, Cloud Migration, eCommerce, Financials, Big Data, Azure Databricks, Azure Stream Analytics, GloVe, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Data Architecture, Google BigQuery, Machine Learning, Azure Data Lake, GPT, Generative Pre-trained Transformers (GPT), SAP IDoc, Web Scraping, Data Scraping, Scientific Data Analysis, Excel Macros, Macros, SAP, Google Data Studio
Angular, Spark, .NET Core, Angular Material, ASP.NET Web API, Apache Spark, Hadoop
ODBC, Pandas, Azure Cognitive Services, Azure API Management, Salesforce API, Stripe
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Shijiazhuang Tiedao University - Hebei, China
Neural Networks and Deep Learning
MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure — Certified 2017