With more than 20 years of experience in syadmin and DevOps positions, Eduardo has very little he has not yet done, from compiling patched Linux 1.3 kernels to containerization with Kubernetes, BSD jails, and multi-region cloud infrastructures. He has made automation with Python, Ansible, Saltstack, and Terraform his main strengths in the last few years. Having spent years in the telecommunications field makes him a networking expert.
ExperienceLinux - 15 yearsPython - 14 yearsNGINX - 10 yearsDevOps - 10 yearsAmazon Web Services (AWS) - 7 yearsTerraform - 5 yearsKubernetes - 3 yearsAnsible - 2 years
Amazon Web Services (AWS), Vim Text Editor, Python, RHEL, Kubernetes, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
The most amazing...
...thing I've set up is a VPN that spans Amazon, Azure, GoGrid, and Terremark.
- Setup a CD pipeline using Github Actions to auto-deploy each pre-release of a microservice application on his own password-protected domain, for QA.
- Shipped newly developed microservices for an information security company running on the developers' machines (docker-compose) to Kubernetes (Scaleway).
- Served as POC for a dev team, and took a Health company's server-based application to Kubernetes (EKS), using Docker and Helm.
- Converted a server-based Medical application to Kubernetes (EKS), using Docker and Helm.
- Consulted various local software factories. Set up in-house and cloud-based dev and staging data centers. Used Ansible mostly. Set up monitoring with Zabbix and a Redmine project management system.
- Made an overlay VPN network that spans Azure, Amazon, GoGrid, and Terremark cloud providers.
- Partnered with the country's biggest VMware solutions provider to consult when Linux issues.
- Worked as a consultant for marketing agencies. Provided automation and technological ideas for marketing actions.
- Designed a digital signage system based on RaspberryPi.
- Acted as a networking consultant and implemented a VPN, Servers, Backups, VoIP, and Bare Metal.
Freelance Certifications Team Member
Linux Foundation (via Toptal)
- Wrote tools used for automatic evaluation of exams, using Python.
- Prepared proofs of concepts for product utilization.
- Administered evaluations process.
- Built and deployed Docker images for internal services.
- Deployed a private Docker registry.
- Dug into Linux namespaces to execute tricky networking procedures.
Freelance DevOps Lead
Tetrascience (via Toptal)
- Designed the whole infrastructure from scratch, based on AWS.
- Implemented Jenkins CI/CD.
- Implemented infrastructure as code with Ansible + Terraform. Interconnected with the same inventory.
Freelance DevOps Team Member
Dubber, Inc. (via Toptal)
- Implemented infrastructure as code with Saltstack.
- Implemented infrastructure as code for AWS with Python Boto library.
- Provided AWS administration.
Freelance DevOps Lead
Plumlytics (via Toptal)
- Deployed cloud infrastructure.
- Implemented Jenkins CI/CD.
- Implemented chatOps with Slack.
- Implemented infrastructure as code with Ansible and Terraform.
- Managed a four-person IT team for La Diaria newspaper.
- Deployed an internal call center with ten seats, using Elastix Asterisk distro.
- Made an ultra thin custom distribution, based on Fedora 12, utilizing Red Hat Kickstart.
- Set up OpenVPN services to provide mobile desktops.
- Deployed a complex firewall using the Shorewall framework.
- Resolved very urgent newsroom issues, sometimes not very technical, but taking into account human complexities.
- Set up ResourceSpace digital asset management to archive and retrieve media, mostly photos. Due to budget limitations, used Linux "MD" software raid PCs as storage servers.
- Administered the website, a complex Django site, and supervised the programmers. The project was hosted on Linode.
- Integrated a team of four SysOps for a 100-person team, distributed around the world.
- Packaged the applications (around six versioned components) in an RPM format, to deploy to the cluster hosted at Rackspace. Maintained yum repo. Tuned Apache and Lighttpd servers.
- Performed a web scraping programming job using Scrapy.
- Maintained Trac applications, Subversion repositories, and developed Trac Plugins.
- Configured Buildbot to add new applications to CI.
- Configured Nagios monitor for the core services.
- Configured Cacti Graphing to gather core services information.
- Made SNMP and XML tools to diagnose deployed network equipment from far away.
- Made a control panel to manage our hosting services. Performed Master to Agent communications via XMLRPC and did the interface with TurboGears framework.
- Set-up a clustered mail transport system, composed of SMTP, POP & IMAP front-ends, with an NFS back-end serving around 5000 customers.
- Helped SAP consultors with the deployment of SAP systems on RHEL3, a failry new option at that time.
- Jointly configured with IBM consultants a BladeCenter chassis with 14 i386 blades and FASTt 500 Fibre Channel. Tied the system to RHEL3, with multipathing.
- Programmed network provisioning systems with PHP and MySQL.
- Provided Cisco iOS administration, from tiny switches to medium sized routers.
- Performed RedBack Router configuration to provide PPPoE access to 500 subscribers.
- Gained experience deploying WAN wireless networks with Alvarion equipment.
- Maintained a data center (physically and in terms of data logic) with 14 racks for RF and IP networks.
- Wrote daemons with Python multithreading to coordinate Radius and Routers state, using telnet and 'expect' library. SNMP was not possible.
- Provided Linux i386 and Alpha systems administration.
- Performed Apache configuration, DNS, bind, and Sendmail configuration.
- Maintained firewalls (ipfwadm and ipchains) and performed Windows 2000 administration.
Check my homepagehttp://www.eroldan.net/blog
RedBack telnet agent
Ansible, OpenVPN, VirtualBox, VMware, Vagrant, NGINX, Buildbot, Bamboo, Eclipse IDE, Terraform, Graylog, Packer, Vim Text Editor, SaltStack, Grafana, Jenkins, Shorewall, RabbitMQ, Amazon EKS, Apache, Zabbix, Redmine, Asterisk, Amazon CloudFront CDN, AWS CloudFormation, Autodesk Inventor, Augeas, Virtualenv, Bundler, Boto, Fastly
Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Delivery (CD), DevOps, Mechanical Design, Scrum
CentOS, Amazon EC2, Red Hat Linux, Linux, Arch Linux, Docker, Kubernetes, Arduino, NetBSD, Rackspace, Linode, Azure, Amazon, Eclipse, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Hyperledger Fabric, Debian Linux, OpenWRT, Solaris, Raspberry Pi, Hyperledger, Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
System Administration, Site Reliability Engineering (SRE), Prometheus, NFS, 3D Printing, Iptables, Cloudflare, CI/CD Pipelines, Home Assistance, LDAP, Cisco, Newspapers, VMware ESXi, vCenter, VXLAN, RHEL, Consul, Elastic Load Balancers, Relational Database Services (RDS), iSCSI, Telemetry, ArduPilot, WireGuard, Zero Trust
PostgreSQL, VWware Private Cloud, Amazon S3 (AWS S3), Elasticsearch, FibreChannel, MySQL
Scrapy, Ruby on Rails (RoR), Linux OpenSuSe, TurboGears, Django
Node.js, libvirt, Kivy