Verified Expert in Engineering
Web App Development Developer
Elliot has been freelancing as a full-stack web developer since 2013—building and maintaining complex custom web applications and working professionally as a developer since 2008. He's a genuine professional who's been freelancing for years and completing a computer science (CS) degree in 2007 and a postgraduate diploma in CS in 2008, both at Canterbury University in New Zealand.
Windows Server 2012, Visual Studio 2017
The most amazing...
...app I've built completely removed my client's reliance on paper and manual processes—removing the ceiling that was preventing his business from growing.
Lead Web Developer
Iceberg Web Development
- Operated as a full-stack web development freelancer/consultant working directly with SMEs and agencies building and maintaining complex custom websites and web applications.
- Worked directly with clients from the planning and requirements gathering stages right through to go-live and maintenance. Some projects have involved collaboration with and sub-contracting to other professionals (designers, developers, SEO experts). I have excelled wearing my project management/lead developer hats.
- Built a solid base of satisfied and repeat clients from a range of industries.
- Grew my technical skills by staying on top of new developments and experimenting with new technologies.
- Gained business insights by running my own and working closely with clients such as CEOs and startup owners.
- Designed and developed a complete business management app for a self-storage company. This app allowed the business to transition from inefficient manual paper-based processes to automated, streamlined processes. It handles everything from customer bookings, availability, payments, invoicing, financial statements and reports, timesheets, task lists, communication, and more.
- Built an innovative online marketing dashboard for a digital agency, using ASP.NET Core MVC 2 and HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery.
- Developed a property listing website for private sellers to list properties for sale in Australia, and for buyers to contact them to arrange inspections.
- Managed new releases of software applications from the requirements gathering stage, through design, development and testing phases, to deployments, management of test and production servers, and dealing with advanced technical support issues.
- Liaised with customers, project managers, support, sales staff, and other key stakeholders; also held training sessions for technical staff, support staff, and customers.
- Developed a web-based ordering system in ASP.NET MVC and integrated it with an existing Jade system. I also integrated it with an existing PHP website to allow for single sign-on and authored the user documentation.
- Wrote a new interface between the existing system’s Jade call center module and the phone system in C# .NET—driving the implementation from requirements gathering and design through to testing and deployment. A lot of this time was spent working on-site with the customer.
- Was hired while at university to work part-time to develop a video presentation application from scratch, and continued maintaining it for 4 years on a contractual basis. The application allows the user to create, manage, and play presentations composed of video clips and user-creatable static text/image slides similar to PowerPoint.
- Worked as the sole developer on this project and was responsible for all aspects of the software development life cycle, working closely with a UI designer.
- Learned quickly and successfully the technologies involved.
- Built an application that is used daily by a large number of clients of Orly Productions and has received glowing feedback.
- Started at a testing-level working with a development team based in the UK—writing unit tests for the initial stages of a large C# .NET project (an online music store with social networking aspects).
- Helped maintain and add new features to an observational research tool written in C# .NET. It allows the user to annotate and analyze recorded video.
- Performed user level testing, wrote unit tests using NUnit and wrote the user manual.
- Worked as the primary developer that brought a product prototype to a commercially viable state. The product is a Visual C++ client-server tool for performing usability studies over the internet. It allows a participant to share their screen and webcam, and communicate with one or more coordinators with VOIP and text chat.
- Added features, maintained, refactored, and coordinated the testing and release procedure of the project.
- Worked with Windows Sockets, multithreading, DirectShow filters, the Windows API, MFC, and NSIS installers.
Wildcard | Front-end Rebrand.
I worked as a front-end developer, and I set up their Ruby on Rails development environment locally and started implementing the new design as soon as it was ready. I communicated with various team members through Slack and implemented feedback and changes efficiently with great attention to detail—all within their existing Git workflows.
I delivered a quality finished product that's responsive to different device sizes and is compatible with all modern browsers.
Featha | Property Listing Platform
The website required account-and-profile management, property listing management, property searching (including Google Maps integration), news/blog functionality, an admin portal, email sending, AdSense integration, and static pages such as about and support pages.
I built a custom CMS for the website owner to manage blog posts, user accounts, and listings.
Leadr | Online Advertising Dashboard
Feta Hands | Custom Food Bloghttps://fetahands.com
Experiencing Food | Platform Similar to Grouponhttps://experiencingfood.com.au/
I developed the entire back end and front end. The site was a custom build and allows all three types of users (providers, customers, site admin) to manage their relevant data in a user-friendly manner.
It integrates with Stripe to handle credit card processing, MailChimp for newsletter signups, and Mailgun for sending emails.
Storage Guru | Complete Business Management System
Testimonial from the client:
"Together we have built something that has far exceeded expectations, and I've really enjoyed working with you. It's been very rewarding to see it evolve from conception to reality and then also to have it continually improve so comfortably. There have been so few bugs, the data migration went beautifully, and the system hasn't crashed once! Your responsiveness to making it all come together so well has been awesome.
In some ways I regret delaying getting a proper system for so long; we could have been so much more efficient with all the admin work much sooner. But those fleeting pangs of regret quickly go away when I think that if I had have tackled this project earlier then I wouldn't have ended up working with you. So I very much doubt that an earlier result would have been as good as what we've built through what I feel is such formidable teamwork. We have built a robust, scalable and user-friendly solution that is the perfect fit for the business. I never could have got that from an off-the-shelf software product..."
Your Home My Home | Custom House-sitting Platform
Housesitters pay a monthly subscription for the privilege of applying to house sit available houses. They can also search and filter houses based on location and dates.
I continue to manage the hosting and provide maintenance and new features on an ad hoc basis.
The site is a custom build with no existing CMS used. A custom CMS was developed to allow the site owners to manage and view user data.
ASP.NET MVC 4, ASP.NET MVC, .NET, .NET 4, Entity 6, ASP.NET MVC 5, .NET Core, ASP.NET Core 2, AngularJS, NUnit, ASP.NET Web Forms, Angular, ASP.NET Web API, Ruby on Rails (RoR)
jQuery, REST APIs, Underscore.js, jQuery UI, Moment.js, Entity Framework
Visual Studio 2015, GitHub, Git, Subversion (SVN), Visual Studio, Microsoft Visual C++, Flash, TFS, Photoshop CS6
Responsive Web Design (RWD), Agile Software Development, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Unit Testing
Visual Studio 2017, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server, Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), MySQL, JSON
Software Development, Web App Development, Web Development, UML Diagrams, IIS 8, IIS, Ajax
Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science
Canterbury University - Christchurch, New Zealand
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
Canterbury University - Christchurch, New Zealand
How to Work with Toptal
Toptal matches you directly with global industry experts from our network in hours—not weeks or months.
Share your needs
Choose your talent
Start your risk-free talent trial
Top talent is in high demand.Start hiring