Co-founder2016 - 2017HereThere
Technologies: C#, Unity
- Designed and prototyped a virtual reality telecommunications application.
- Built networking capabilities to handle voice and movement updates in real time.
- Optimized the application for guaranteed greater than 90 FPS to avoid user sickness.
- Pitched the company to investors to acquire seed funding.
Back-end Team Lead2014 - 2016Manifest Commerce
Technologies: Python, Celery, Flask, PostgreSQL, Redis, Salt, DynamoDB, EC2
- Hired and managed a team of back-end engineers.
- Translated business needs and product needs into engineering initiatives.
- Architected large initiatives and coordinated their implementations.
- Advocated for and enforced stronger engineering best practices including writing unit testing and strong abstraction boundaries, eventually leading to an almost complete rewrite of the existing systems.
- Designed and built an always-on advertising platform for eCommerce retailers.
Software Engineer2012 - 2014Originate
- Re-implemented the bulk of the back-end services at Angie's List from scratch in Scala using the Play Framework with MySql for persistence. These services are replacing Angie's List existing infrastructure, serving over 2 million users. Implemented request-scoped entity caching to enable greater develop productivity by alleviating the need to pass entities across function calls. Request-scoped caching also reduces request times by serving entities from in memory instead of from the database if they have been fetch during the request already.
- Developed the back-end REST service for a mobile application called SnapFix on behalf of Angie's List using Scala, Play Framework, and MySQL. The service handles requests from a consumer-facing mobile application, a service provider-facing mobile application, and an Angie's List employee-facing web application. Constructed horizontally scalable real-time chat between web and mobile using web sockets.
- Built a HIPAA compliant web application for gathering medical data on behalf of Betterpath. Implemented the back-end in Scala using Play Framework with Riak for persistence. Constructed the front-end with jQuery and Bootstrap. Designed a sophisticated authorization system to silo data on a need-to-know basis for HIPAA compliance.
- Constructed a social network called Best of All Worlds using Scala and the Lift Framework for the back-end. Implemented the front-end as a single page web application using jQuery and a number of other libraries as needed.