Verified Expert in Engineering
Elmar is a scientific software developer and numerical analyst. He loves analyzing a customer's requirements and designing and implementing software frameworks that fulfill those in a smooth, efficient and maintainable fashion—adapting to whatever technology is best suited for it.
Bash, TeX, Ruby, Python, C++, CMake, Git, Linux
The most amazing...
...thing I've coded was an algorithm that could solve the stochastic diffusion equation adaptively with guaranteed error bounds and optimal space complexity.
Airmeet (via Toptal)
- Created a React component that can compose multiple video streams into a 3D scene in the form of a video wall.
- Designed a database back end in Firebase Realtime Database for management of users and distribution of video streams.
- Wrote Firebase cloud functions for communication between different parts of the system and communication with the database.
- Implemented front-end components for the system management as well as end-user components for viewing composed 3D scenes.
Bractlet (via Toptal)
- Developed a program for creating 3D models from 2D architectural floor plans correcting problems in the geometries and performing correct floor matching and boundary condition analysis (using Ruby, Docker).
Kehl Pricing Research+Consulting (via Toptal)
- Implemented different approaches (Hamiltonian Monte Carlo and Variational Bayes) for generating stochastic models of a discrete choice model of consumer choice.
- Held several lecture series on numerical computational methods (e.g., differential equations, uncertainty quantification, parameter, and state estimation) with a focus on implementation.
- Developed a MATLAB framework for uncertainty quantification including a numerical testing framework.
- Implemented a Python framework for solving stochastic partial differential equations on non-matching grids with FEniCS as a FEM back-end.
- Developed and implemented methods for parameter estimation in MATLAB (similar to the Kalman Filter, but based on deterministic, spectral methods).
- Developed and implemented fast-and-efficient methods for representation and synthesis of random fields (using Fourier methods for the Karhunen-Loeve expansion).
- Implemented a PHP framework for students to register for programming courses and for TAs to marks students' progress and achievements.
- Developed and implemented (C++) an efficient numerical method for the validation of measured data in power plants including fault detection.
- Implemented a database system for storing time-dependent data on financial securities in C++ and Sybase-SQL.
- Implemented client side components in Java for online trading of stocks and options.
- Developed parts of a banking system for the management of exemption order for capital gains (Sybase SQL stored procedures).
- Extended and improved a website for virtual trade fairs with a focus on the educational sector.
C++ Developer (Part-time)
Ad Hoc LLC
- Developed a language interpreter for a built-in C-like language for a multimedia authoring system in C++.
- Completely restructured and streamlined the user interface of a multimedia authoring system (MFC, C++).
- Developed parts, i.e. visual effects, for a small game for a marketing campaign (for a large, undisclosed customer).
- Built parts of a warehousing system with specially adapted features for goldsmiths (C++, MFC, MS Access).
Deutscher Pädagogik und Hochschulverlag (dphv)
- Developed a module for management of students subjects and grades in senior classes.
- Built a module for checking the eligibility of students for taking final exams and computing the final marks according to flexible rule sets.
- Created in-house software for managing customers of the publishing house and high-throughput printing services.
- Maintained other types of in-house software and performed system administration (DOS, Windows, Novell).
Data Validation and Reconciliationhttps://bitbucket.org/ezander/dvrlib/src/master/
The method has been incorporated into large simulation codes for power plants. (e.g., ENBIPRO).
Algorithm for Parameter Estimation
Time-dependent Database for Financial Security Information
Scripting Language for a Multimedia Authoring Tool
Solver for Problems in Stochastic Diffusion and Elasticity
MATLAB, Mathematica, Git, Subversion (SVN), LaTeX, Travis CI, CMake, Make, Microsoft Access, VSS, Agora, Mocha, CVS, Emacs
Unit Testing, Refactoring
Linux, Firebase, Oracle, Windows, Docker
Debugging, Bayesian Inference & Modeling, Algorithms, Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Simulations, Scientific Computing, Debugging Tools, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Complexity Theory, Numerical Optimization, Finite Element Method (FEM), Lecturing, Stochastic Modeling, Fintech, Education, Engineering, Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Classification, Regression, ISAM, Statistics, Markov Chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) Algorithms, Firebase Cloud Functions, Deep Learning, Robotics, NP-complete Problems, Optimization, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB)
React, Node.js, Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC), WebRTC, TensorFlow, Pandas, FEniCS, NumPy, SciPy, Three.js
React Native, Redux, ASP, Flask
Cloud Firestore, Microsoft SQL Server, Firebase Realtime Database, Oracle SQL, SQLite, Sybase
PhD Degree in Math/Computer Science
Braunschweig University of Technology - Braunschweig, Germany
Diploma in Physics
University Münster - Münster, Germany
Improving Deep Neural Networks: Hyperparameter Tuning, Regularization and Optimization
Neural Networks and Deep Learning
Machine Learning with Python
Artificial Intelligence for Robotics
Intro to Theoretical Computer Science