Verified Expert in Engineering
Eric is a senior data scientist based in San Diego, and prior to his current career, spent six years in the defense industry. He has a strong academic background culminating in a master's degree in mathematics and a PhD in electrical engineering. Some of the areas that he's worked in are algorithm development, signal/image processing, and machine learning.
The most amazing...
...project I've worked on was fingerprinting radios.
Senior Data Scientist
- Created new SpO2 calibration techniques, SpO2 feature calculations, and a PPG beat classification for signal quality metrics.
- Developed unsupervised learning and clustering techniques in Python.
- Created event detection algorithms for several business use cases on signals regarding database health; developed those algorithms in Python and SQL.
- Explored root cause data. Given a scenario of poor database performance or unusual behavior, explored massive data sets to find root cause with an accompanying explanation for customers (Python, SQL, and Tableau).
Software Engineer - Scientist III
- Worked with a team of software engineers and algorithm developers to create handheld push-to-talk radio fingerprinting algorithms.
- Worked on feature extraction and pattern detection on radio signals to uniquely identify radio devices, make, and model independent of the speaker.
- Developed algorithms in MATLAB and collaborated with engineers to convert the code to C for production and helped deploy the product.
- Created unique digital signal filtering techniques for radio fingerprinting. The project had been successful with moderate noise, but real-world applications had more noise than expected. These unique filtering techniques led to the success of the project in real-world noisy environments.
- Developed an algorithm in MATLAB and converted it to C for production; the product was deployed and deemed successful.
- Wrote signal modulation detection algorithms, pattern detection in the Fourier domain. Satellites can be saturated by unwanted signals. Detection of signal modulation and frequency was a way to classify wanted versus unwanted signals.
- Developed algorithms in MATLAB and converted the code to C for production.
- Designed and trained deep learning techniques and other machine learning algorithms to identify ship vessel type based on transit patterns; this project was short term.
UCSD | University of California, San Diego
- Assisted several professors in supplementing course material, hosting discussion sections, holding office hours, grading homework and exams for the following courses: Graduate Level Digital Image Processing, Graduate Level Random Processes, and Undergraduate Probability.
- Received the "Best TA Award" in the Electrical Engineering department for a graduate class in digital image processing.
Teaching Assistant - Instructor
SDSU | San Diego State University
- Acted as an instructor for two classes per semester: Statistics and Business Calculus.
- Designed lesson plans, course material, and graded homework and exams.
- Worked with the professors to assure that the lesson plans aligned with his teaching materials.
Transfer Learning on Small Datasets
Algorithms, Software Development, Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Clustering, Digital Signal Processing, Image Processing, Deep Learning, Machine Learning
Python, SQL, C
Keras, SciPy, NumPy
PyCharm, MATLAB, Jupyter, Tableau
PhD Degree in Electrical Engineering
University of California, San Diego - San Diego, CA, USA
Master's Degree in Applied Mathematics
San Diego State University - San Diego, CA, USA
Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics
University of California, San Diego - San Diego CA, USA