Director of Computational Geometry, Senior Computational Scientist2017 - 2020Xometry
Technologies: Python, NumPy, Machine Learning
- Updated regression testing to reduce API failure rate on deployments (2.2% to 0.18%).
- Evaluated data quality, identified core weaknesses, and replaced in-house mesh repair software with third-party solutions (reduced error rate from 1 in 100 to 1 in 5,000).
- Created pipeline to automatically label data from the operations team to reduce false positives and negatives in automatic analysis of manufacturing.
- Tripled the number of geometric features, while maintaining consistent execution time (together with data quality, reduced the uncertainty in core statistical models by 15%).
- Improved team performance by removing constraints, streamlining testing, and facilitating code reviews to enable continuous deployment (14 days of integration and testing to 1 hour).
- Isolated core code into a micro-service to identify performance issues and improve (increased speed by a factor of ten). Resulted in drastically improved customer experience with customers making 70% more modifications to designs.
- Developed novel real-time algorithms including surface reachability, minimal point distance, and sheet unbending for sheet surface area.
Software Engineer2009 - 2017United States Government
Technologies: Linux, C++, Python, SQL
- Created an automated tool to detect and extract text from videos in real-time using C++, OpenCV, support vector machines, and a novel representation of the text space.
- Built an organization-wide Linux file-system that allows all data to be tracked, properly categorized, and legally compliant—meeting government requirements for the data storage of critical information.
- Developed an automated system for the machine language translation of small phrases that filled a need not satisfied by either simple word lookup or more advanced translation of full sentences.
- Wrote Python scripts to support the automated processing of complex tasks for non-technical customers.
- Served as the team lead for a vital tiger team that required understanding several different skill sets.
- Received several team awards, two invention awards, and a patent.
Associate Professor of Computer Science1999 - 2009Texas Tech University
Technologies: C/C++, Python, Computer Vision, Computer Graphics, Robotics, Scientific Computing, Pattern Matching
- Worked as the founding director of the Data Representation and Intelligent Learning Lab and supervised twenty masters students and two PhD students.
- Taught courses on programming, analysis of algorithms, operating systems, numerical methods, computer graphics, computer visualization, pattern recognition, and computer vision.
- Developed a novel method for estimating livestock body mass from laser imaging that resulted in licensing and commercialization of the technology.
- Created a novel method for improving the shape reconstruction from multiple images using an improved data analysis of the neighborhoods around critical points inside of an image. This technology was also licensed for commercialization.
- Built a computer vision library to support complex mathematical operations on geometric objects that wrapped fast Fortran code underneath a clean object-oriented library in C/C++.
Research Engineer1998 - 1999Summus, Ltd
Technologies: C/C++, Assembly Language, Wavelet Theory
- Worked as a developer on a video compression team that was designated as the leader in the video-compression quality in bandwidth limited environments.
- Invented a new method that improved the accuracy of underwater mine detection by 95% by detecting surface slope of ocean waves and removing the effects of light refraction. This resulted in a technology that received the award of 1999 Advanced Imaging Solution of Year.
- Wrote real-time, cinema-quality, video-compression code for applications with high bandwidth.
- Optimized the code by detecting code bottlenecks and replacing expensive functions with numerical approximations implemented in x86 Assembly. This resulted in a 20-time speed-up of the specific functions, and a 3-time speed-up of the overall compressor.